MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:50 AM   #1
Pig Daddy
Full Fledged Farker

Default APL's "Serious BBQ" and, well...Serious Price

I went to Amazon and saw that a new hardcopy is now $115. Barnes & Noble lists new hardcopies from $235-$289.

Good thing I bought mine years ago...
Pig Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2012, 11:01 AM   #2
Cack
is One Chatty Farker

Whoa

Old 12-05-2012, 11:05 AM   #3
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Dang!

Glad I got mine when I did. Can't remember what it cost - just some normal book price. Is it out of print or something? It really is a great book, but there are a lot of other books I'd buy before plunking down that kind of $$ for that one.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2012, 11:07 AM   #4
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Seriously?!

As said, I'm sure glad I got one when it only cost me about $15-20.
I think that was only about a year ago.

Wonder why the huge increase in cost?

Old 12-05-2012, 11:42 AM   #5
Gnaws on Pigs
is one Smokin' Farker

Got a copy new/used from Amazon for around $10 a few months ago, guess I was lucky. I noticed a bookstore near here had two or three new copies recently for the cover price of $35-ish. I would look in bookstores. It's a good book, but certainly not worth that kind of money.

Slow-to-average-speed [COLOR=dimgray]GRAY[/COLOR] Wal-Mart thermometer

Just a hungry hillbilly lookin for a dead critter to cook

Four [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zeros[/URL] in one [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=red]throwdown[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red],[/COLOR] baby! :bow:

Last edited by Gnaws on Pigs; 12-05-2012 at 12:01 PM..
Gnaws on Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2012, 12:27 PM   #6
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

FYI - His BBQ 25 is contains 25 of the same recipes (thus the name) as Serious
Barbecue
, but in a unique condensed and useful format.

John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2012, 12:47 PM   #7
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

The book price went up because it is now out of print.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2012, 02:02 PM   #8
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Sold mine here to a brother for what I paid plus shipping and he gave me five bucks more to boot. I didn't rip him and he was kind enough to repay the favor. Don't remember the price but it was between 10 to 30 dollars plus shipping. A bro is a bro!!
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2012, 12:57 PM   #9
trufunk
Full Fledged Farker

Just found one at my local booksamillion, paid retail but that's ok better than prices ive ween elsewhere, hope its worth that.
trufunk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2012, 01:11 PM   #10
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by trufunk View Post
Just found one at my local booksamillion, paid retail but that's ok better than prices ive ween elsewhere, hope its worth that.
It's probably not worth it, since they're going for upwards of $300 online.

FYI - Adam is trying to make the book available again, but it will take a while.

John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2012, 01:27 PM   #11
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

I have been watching the prices for a while, and there are two pages for it on amazon with differing (sometimes by a lot) prices.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:45 PM   #12
trufunk
Full Fledged Farker

I went to two bookstores today, Barnes and Noble andgot lucky at Booksamillion. Yeah prices nonlinear are crazay! Just thumbed through the book and there are several recipies that caught my eye. I won some beef from a new company in CO and I'm gonna try the whole beef tenderloin with Worcestershire glaze next week.
I really like what I see so far and the book is a whole lot bigger than I expected.

Old 12-28-2012, 02:25 PM   #13
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

If you use Amazon, you can get a plug-in called:
http://us.camelcamelcamel.com/

It tracks the prices on Amazon overtime. According to it, a used copy sold for $3 on Dec 19, and new by a 3rd part for $9 on Dec 8. You can setup watches to email you when it hits a set price. It is a pretty neat plugin. It is shocking to see how much Amazon moves their prices around to test the market.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2012, 02:40 PM   #14
trufunk
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by trufunk View Post
I went to two bookstores today, Barnes and Noble andgot lucky at Booksamillion. Yeah prices nonlinear are crazay! Just thumbed through the book and there are several recipies that caught my eye. I won some beef from a new company in CO and I'm gonna try the whole beef tenderloin with Worcestershire glaze next week.
I really like what I see so far and the book is a whole lot bigger than I expected.
Dangit just checked what I have left its just a small 1# tenderloin and a large London broil. Any one have a recipient for that? I never cooked one before its about 3 lbs.