maintaining thin blue smoke on a charcoal grill

dealm9

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
i am just about done with my firsat uds but as i have been working on it i have been dabbling in smoking on a charcoal kettle grill i have. i have a hard time keeping thin blue smoke and keeping an overpowering charcoal taste out of my food. this is because everytime i add new woodchips the smoke gets really white and bitter. anyone know how to maintain thin blue smoke even while adding more woodchips every now and then

You might be adding too many at one time. Your fire should be burning hot and clean enough that adding new charcoal or wood chunks/chips should only produce a white smoke for a short time then return to the thin blue.

I don't add any wood chunks after the first ones burn up when I'm smoking on the Weber. Two fist sized chunks have always given me enough flavor.

Are you using a drip pan or heat deflector? Grease dripping directly into the fire will always produce white smoke along with the distinct flavor of "char". Some like this taste others don't. Dump the wood chips and just use a few wood chunks, that should provide longer smoke and enough flavor, IMO.

I can't remember where I saw it, no doubt that it was on here, but I stick my chunks on the food grate above my coals then cook indirect, two chunks last a very long time. It works great for me. I have used this trick on my 22.5 and on my ranch kettle with good results every time.

smoked some kielbasa on the kettle tonight and took your guys' advice and it was much better. got the coals white hot and added much less chips and it was the prettiest smoke these eyes have ever seen:grin:. thanks for the help!

Back