• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Contest Results King of the Smoker

All I know is that I would have never had the opportunity to see half those teams compete in person if it wasn't for this contest. Thanks Sterling!

So I havent been keeping up, but how on earth did they raise that much money? ticket sales?

donations from patrons and supporters of the Casey Lee Ball Foundation. 25K came from the gate and merch sales.\...Includes a check slipped to e at the after awards dinner for 10K)

The KOS was the featured event for the Casey Lee Ball Foundation that is named after my son who was born with bad kidneys and had 8 operations before his 6th birthday. ( he is 24 and was one of the featured entertainers...classical guitar at the KOS) To date we have raised nearly 8 million dollars for pediatric kidney disease. The center and lab is named after Casey at UCLA and we have endowed the chair there...we also support research at Seattle Childrens Hospital
Texas Childrens Hospital and Cincinnati Childrens hospital. When I announced the KOS was benefiting the CLB people not involved in BBQ sent me additional donations.

donations from patrons and supporters of the Casey Lee Ball Foundation. 25K came from the gate and merch sales.\...Includes a check slipped to e at the after awards dinner for 10K)

The KOS was the featured event for the Casey Lee Ball Foundation that is named after my son who was born with bad kidneys and had 8 operations before his 6th birthday. ( he is 24 and was one of the featured entertainers...classical guitar at the KOS) To date we have raised nearly 8 million dollars for pediatric kidney disease. The center and lab is named after Casey at UCLA and we have endowed the chair there...we also support research at Seattle Childrens Hospital
Texas Childrens Hospital and Cincinnati Childrens hospital. When I announced the KOS was benefiting the CLB people not involved in BBQ sent me additional donations.

Sounds like a great cause and great event. Raising money isnt easy at any time, but these days it is especially tough.

For those that didn't make it out for whatever reason, you missed a top notch contest!
The venue, the teams and everything else Sterling and his team did was all first-class!

Hell, even the shirts were Haines not those cheasy make an easy-buck shirts!

Thanks, Sterling!!

Last edited:
For those that didn't make it out for whatever reason, you missed a top notch contest!
The venue, the teams and and everything else Sterling and his team did was all first-class!

Hell, even the shirts were Haines not those cheasy make an easy-buck shirts!

Thanks, Sterling!!

I would be one of those that didn't make it. :tsk:

Next time this happens, I'm telling work, family, etc. I won't be available and I'm heading to Indio. :thumb:

Sounds like an epic event to say the least. Congratulations to BPS and all of your efforts to make it so! Congrats to all who competed, all who had their name called, and all who donated. That's a huge amount of money for a great cause. :thumb:

PHENOMENAL contribution to this charity! Without question, that IS the most important part. $167,000....makes my hair stand on end!

Got a chance to meet Sterling and a few others, all very welcoming and I'm just sorry I missed being there the day of the event.

Given what I saw and am hearing....I can only hope our team would someday be on that list to compete.....although we're a long way off from ever being in position to do so, but I respect that and make it a goal to work towards consideration.

Great job all....you did it for this great charity, the spectators, and all of BBQ!

24 or 100 there would have been teams left out. Those who were picked still had to agree to the rules which meant i.e. Tuffy Stone had to do a seminar afterwards which If I understood correctly was his first . Which I watched and would never guess Tuffy hadn't done one before. The judges had a dress code. The concept was different then any competition before. I have been able to befriend the Big Poppa Team, Sterling ,Jody and Brad from BBQ competitions and consider them all good friends that are welcome at our house anytime for substandard BBQ. I know that those of us that were there will talk about the First "King of the Smoker" and being at the First One.
I am bias about this topic to say the least. We all think about how a competition can be better and advance the way competition BBQ is perceived . Sterling didn't just flap his jaws, he did something to elevate these BBQ events to a new level and try and raise the standard for all.
Sterling and Jody just a few weeks ago became the first West Coast team to win the American Royal. In one weekend Big Poppa has created something so big we will have to remind people that He and Jody Clark are the current American Royal Grand Champions.

I personally have to say thank you to Sterling of Big Poppa Smokers. Although I did not compete, attend, or even have the opportunity to ever meet you, the charity portion of this speaks close to home. My son was born with a kidney disease, Hydronephrosis, and we were able to catch it super early being my wife works for a Reproductive Genetics Clinic. Either way, we got to spent some quality time with the Pediatric doctors of Childrens Memorial in Chicago. So contest aside, what you did in rasing that money for others is awesome. So a personal thank you from my family and my son.

I personally have to say thank you to Sterling of Big Poppa Smokers. Although I did not compete, attend, or even have the opportunity to ever meet you, the charity portion of this speaks close to home. My son was born with a kidney disease, Hydronephrosis, and we were able to catch it super early being my wife works for a Reproductive Genetics Clinic. Either way, we got to spent some quality time with the Pediatric doctors of Childrens Memorial in Chicago. So contest aside, what you did in rasing that money for others is awesome. So a personal thank you from my family and my son.

Could not be said better. Most all of us go into something non-BBQ realted for our livings and family come Monday morning.

Put aside the contest, interaction, and experience....and if all you're left with is the worthwhile cause alone. We've ALL won. No more to say.

thanks everybody...The hardest part of the job was putting up with two months of shots on the internet...Its done...we had a blast....the teams had more fun and I hope the patrons had an even better time

For those of you who I didn't get to invite...I meant no disrespect..This is the first of many I hope.

Wow! :clap::clap::clap:

WOW What an awesome event and for such a Great cause.. I would have loved to have been there

Congrats on the event and the money raised...that is worth it all right there!

Sounds like this was a great event. Glad that it was a huge success and glad you raised some much needed $$$ in hard times. It's hard for most of us to realize how much better we have it than many people affected by these terrible illnesses. I bet all of those families would gladly take on some money problems to have their family members in good health. In most cases, they already have the money problems anyway because of the medical problems. Well done to all that contributed!

Wow, amazing Sterling. Huge numbers that you have raised and will raise. Much respect bro.

From a judges perspective, this contest was great for a couple of reasons. First, was the no garnish rule. Every box I saw was well thought out as the teams really went out of their way to fill the boxes with goodness while using very creative ways to display the meat.
The idea of handing out the meat to the teams, specifically 8 chicken quarters, gave the judges something other than thighs to look at. I really appreciated that opportunity.
Thanks Sterling for bringing this new concept to the bbq community. You and your staff worked really hard to put this together and the results showed.
Benny

Back