MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 04-15-2005, 11:41 AM   #1
BrooklynQ
Banned

Default Presentation for judging

Here's an interesting picture tutuorial about what's legal and not for presentation at KCBS contests. While it gets the point across about the rules, IMHO, I don't think any of these packages would do well in a contest.

http://www.nhsummerfest.org/web_summ/presentation.html
BrooklynQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2005, 06:07 PM   #2
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

That was interesting. None were particularly appetizing to me except the first legal Rib entry. But what do i know? I'm not a judge.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2005, 06:51 PM   #3
scottm4300
Full Fledged Farker

Fascinating stuff. I've never even been to a competition, but there are a couple coming up over the next few months here in New England that I'm gonna go to - just to watch, and learn - and SMELL! Good Lord- what happens if I get the bug!!
Turkey/Fish Fryer
Weber Grill
Campfire Pit
Trashcan
scottm4300 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2005, 07:10 PM   #4
chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottm4300
Fascinating stuff. I've never even been to a competition, but there are a couple coming up over the next few months here in New England that I'm gonna go to - just to watch, and learn - and SMELL! Good Lord- what happens if I get the bug!!
Do you really want to know?

Let's see: larger cooker, trailer or better yet trailer cooker, truck to haul trailer, $$$ for fees, $$$ for meat, start looking for the perfect supplier for the meat, draw radii on maps so you know how early to sneak out of work to make it to the venue in time to setup and get to the cook's meeting, later - bigger cooker, motorhome, etc. etc. etc.

Welcome to my nightmare! :D

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2005, 07:13 PM   #5
chad

Remember, this is a tutorial on legal/not legal NOT good vs. not so good!

The underscored M is actually an ovescored W unless the table captain presented it upside down to the table. :D

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),

Old 04-15-2005, 09:07 PM   #6
BrooklynQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottm4300
Scott, I don't know what contests you're gonna hit, but after my first one as an observer, I was kicking myself for not competing at it (if that makes any sense.) My first contest was the grill kings on Long Island and the cooks had everything from modified garbage cans to Kloses. This was not a KCBS sanctioned event, so there were a lot more backyard cookers then seasoned competitors. But I kept saying to myself as I was walking around, wtf - I can do this.

Now, when I got to CT the next month and saw my first KCBS sanctioned contest, well I wasn't so sure. Lots of big names and big rigs.

Then, cooking with the Poohbah and the ever lovely Chad in NJ, I discovered the dirty little secret of the competetions. Yeah, there's lots of Kloses and Langs and Southern Yankees and every other high end unit out there, but the winning brisket was cooked on a Weber Smokey Mountain.

My advice, unsolicited as it is, if you can afford it and have the time, just go for it! Remember too, you don't have to enter every category. Cook as much as you feel comfortable with.
BrooklynQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2005, 08:47 AM   #7
chad

Rob's absolutely right. A lot of "players" use a couple of WSMs or other combinations of cookers. Tim and I have been competing with a Bandera and a WSM - last time out a Bandera and two WSMs.

Lot's of homemade rigs, lots of "bachyard" horizontals, etc., etc. Do not let the lack of a big cooker keep you from giving it a try. In my earlier post I was indicating what will happen if you get hooked! :D You don't need all that to compete.

The backyard division has a lot less pressure but a lot of these guys do backyard for years - maybe the one local event but they do it every year! One huge advantage to doing backyard it that the meats (usually chicken and ribs) don't take all night - you can setup Friday, visit, etc. get some sleep, fire up the cookers at 6 am and make the 12:00 and 12:30 turn in's with no problem! :D