MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:42 PM   #46
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
Why can't these things be simple, like burgers?
Right.....or pizza.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 03-14-2013, 01:53 PM   #47
thirdeye

I'm going to have to quiz Mrs ~t~ about how she does the loaf style Gyro meat. It's not like forming a meatloaf or anything, I think there is some pressing going on, and I believe she makes them at least the day before and they chill out overnight (or longer). And I'm not completely sure all the meat is ground, I thing some may be pulsed in a food processor to help with the binding.

At any rate, I can tell you that it slices nicely and we cut each slice into strips. Leftover and cold, it slices really nice and I reheat in a skillet.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2013, 02:04 PM   #48
JazzyBadger
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I go to a place in Sugar Land that has DELICIOUS gyros, thin sliced lamb. How authentic it all is compared to actual Greek food from Greece I cannot say, but it's a local business that takes care of their customers, and I enjoy everything I eat there. Typically it's their gyro platter though.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:06 PM   #49
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzybadger View Post
I go to a place in Sugar Land that has DELICIOUS gyros, thin sliced lamb. How authentic it all is compared to actual Greek food from Greece I cannot say, but it's a local business that takes care of their customers, and I enjoy everything I eat there. Typically it's their gyro platter though.
Sounds great. Do they cook them on a vertical spit or could you tell?

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2013, 03:05 PM   #50
NickTheGreat
is Blowin Smoke!

This is a very informational thread. I really like gyro's and I'm betting our local places do the ground route. I haven't been in a while. I might have to try again, for science

Old 03-14-2013, 03:52 PM   #51
shirknwrk
is one Smokin' Farker

McGyro?
shirknwrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2013, 05:04 PM   #52
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

I went back to the Greek restaurant today to check out just how they make their Gyros.

They buy a cone of ground beef and lamb. The manager said he believes it is made in Chicago. It looked pre-cooked to me, but I didn't ask. The vertical radiant heater looked more like a warmer than a cooker due to it's relatively small size. I thought the resulting product was pretty good, but not superior in any respect.

Here is a picture of their setup.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:45 PM   #53
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

Default Re: When Did Gyros Become Ground Meat?

To be honest, I never claimed to know what a "true" gyro is, but I would bet on the meat sliced and piled on a skewer, roasted vertically. But the kronos product I mentioned earlier is found on vertical roasters all over chicagoland,(and the country, per their info) and has been for over 30 years.as I also supposed before, the texture of it, when carved off the spit, seems kind of like a strip of meat(well....sorta). I dug deeper, and found that the kronos folks have or had a restaurant where they did the stacked slice method....old school style. But the price point was higher.
But the cones are the prevelent way because they guarantee best price while maintaining consistent product. Difficult if not impossible with stacked, sliced meat
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list :crazy:
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2013, 07:59 PM   #54
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

These are the only Gyros I have tasted Stoke&Smoke, so I can't compare them to the traditional Greek ones. I am going to take the time to find a restaurant that does them the old way and see.

Thank you for the insight you provide. I understand the forces which create this expedient. Similar forces have changed the BBQ world.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:18 PM   #55
nycbbq
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

If in NYC you need to go here.....

nycbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:31 PM   #56
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbbq View Post

Building the Ultimate Gyro at BZ Grill - YouTube[/url]
Now, that's what I'm talking about I won't be happy until I eat right there. Thanks for the link.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:17 PM   #57
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Ground gyros remind me of Bart Simpson eating nuggafied fish porklets.Homer referred to them as Fish-Pork-Nuggets-a-Roni. Just funnin.To each their own.The Only ones I ever tasted were the ones with the meat slices stacked on top of each other and roasted on a vertical split.Good eats.I am sure the grounds ones are TASTEE too.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2013, 10:27 PM   #58
Pole D
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbbq View Post

Building the Ultimate Gyro at BZ Grill - YouTube
That looked great even if the guy making the video called it souvlaki.
Pole D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2013, 10:33 PM   #59
rcbaughn
Full Fledged Farker

I've always had gyros made from ground loafs that spin on a hot vertical rotisserie. I didn't know that whole meat cuts would be considered a gyro at all. All those spices mixed into the lamb loaf is what makes it a gyro to me, and it all holds together just as if it is one piece of meat and not ground.

By the way, are french fries REALLY a traditional addition to a gyro? I've never ever ever seen them used as a filling or topping. Always served on the side if they come with the order. Seems strange to me that it's a "traditional" topping in Greece. Seems like an American hamburger throwback if anything.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:10 PM   #60
buccaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
I wonder how Aussie's do their gyros? You know, with the Aussie TD and all...
Bill shuld be the full bottle on this, he lives in the second largest greek population on the planet.

My experience from here is
Shawarma: Vertical grill, Chicken or lamb. Never seen pork.
Gyros: Vertical griller and two types, layers of meat or more commonly over the last 20 years due to the increase in profit margin, a column of packed ground lamb, beef.Never seen pork.
Souvlaki: Strips of Lamb grilled, often skewered then pulled off into the bread with salad and sauces. No pork.
My fave.
Interestingly, Gyros tested 400% higher in both occurrence and rate of food contamination of all take out foods, by food scientist downunder.
Usually the main consumer is Aussies pissed out of their skulls so the beer gets blamed

Never ever seen french fries with them.

Thanks from: --->

Tags
Greek, Gyro, gyros, rotisserie, spit