• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Bubba Keg Reviews

Plowboy

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Curt, SIDE and I are getting Bubba Keg's from their marketing company to review. Mine arrived last night. Michael helped me put it together tonight. The first burn will be Saturday.

Thought I'd start a thread where we can all post our thoughts and answer questions in the same place. Here are my initial pics.

Attachments

• Bubba Keg 001 [640x480].JPG
    Bubba Keg 001 [640x480].JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 877
  • Bubba Keg 020 [640x480].JPG
    Bubba Keg 020 [640x480].JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 859
  • Bubba Keg 016 [640x480].JPG
    Bubba Keg 016 [640x480].JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 864
  • Bubba Keg 012 [640x480].JPG
    Bubba Keg 012 [640x480].JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 866
  • Bubba Keg 008 [640x480].JPG
    Bubba Keg 008 [640x480].JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 865
  • Bubba Keg 007 [640x480].JPG
    Bubba Keg 007 [640x480].JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 868
  • Bubba Keg 005 [640x480].JPG
    Bubba Keg 005 [640x480].JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 869
  • Bubba Keg 004 [640x480].JPG
    Bubba Keg 004 [640x480].JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 866
  • Bubba Keg 003 [640x480].JPG
    Bubba Keg 003 [640x480].JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 873
  • Bubba Keg 002 [640x480].JPG
    Bubba Keg 002 [640x480].JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 876
Anything for indirect cook? How does that compare in size to a large BGE?

The gasket looks good.

I didn't get any measurements yet. Not sure if the grate size is the same as a Weber kettle. Looks pretty close.

I'm impressed...

• Side tables that can pop on and off
  • Onboard bottle opener
  • Cast Iron Grate
  • Tool hangers
  • Built in truck reciever
  • Handles on all four sides of the grill
  • Sturdy base with wheels
  • The lid can be locked down to the base for travel or "security"
  • Built in second level that swings out
  • Custom paint or powder coating on this is possible. There is some plastic, but it can be removed for blasting and powder coating.
  • They discourage the use of lighter fluid in their materials. :eusa_clap
  • Not super heavy so it is easy to move around.
I'm not impressed...

• The fire ring is pretty thin gauge metal
  • The thermometer is cheap, but it can be replaced.
  • The only way to cook indirect is a water pan on the first grate
  • It will be hard to compete with the Big Green Egg at the same price point as the large.
  • Second level grate is chrome plated steel instead of porcelain.
Time will tell...

• There's only a seal around the lip of the lid and not the base
  • The seal looks to be drafty, we'll see
  • Concerned with how hot the outside will get even with the oven grade insulation
  • We'll see how long this will hold a temp on a load of lump

Attachments

• Bubba Keg 018 [640x480].JPG
    Bubba Keg 018 [640x480].JPG
    47 KB · Views: 853
Looks to be designed more for a grill than a smoker. It isn't ceramic is it? Ceramic lined?

Other than small children, how much do you think it will hold?

Do you guys get to keep it?

Yup.

I'll get more pics and measurements tonight.

Roo - It is lined with the same type of insulation that is in your oven at home, or maybe even an FEC or Spicewine.

Cast iron grate is 18.5". Upper grate is 16".

More review coming, but here's a sample: center cut pork loin chops.

Attachments

• Michael Egg Bubba Keg 021 [640x480].JPG
    Michael Egg Bubba Keg 021 [640x480].JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 519
  • Michael Egg Bubba Keg 022 [640x480].JPG
    Michael Egg Bubba Keg 022 [640x480].JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 522
So SFbbqguy it seems we might have to find a way to alter a 22.5" grate to hold a 18.5" cast iron grate or another way to extend the 18.5 to 22.5.
There would be 2" all the way around. Wonder if anyone will come up with any ideas???

Thanks for the info Plowboy.

Nice thread, Plowboy. I've been playing with it for the last 5 hours and am still going. Having only dabbled with Big Green Eggs, I am playing around with temp control some but have taken it up to 750* to cook a flat iron steak, did some veggies, some burgers and am now doing some beef ribs. Unfortunately I only have a couple of pix since I decided to video tape the trial run. FYI, grilling one handed on a new cooker while filming with the other is quite a trick!

The only issue thus far is that although the removable sidetables are nice, they are very narrow so you have to balance platters, etc. very carefully.

One question, Todd. Did you figure out how to attach the tool hooks? Do you just drill them into the side tables? The assembly directions were very vague all the way through, though I got it together alone in about 40 minutes.

Nice thread, Plowboy. I've been playing with it for the last 5 hours and am still going. Having only dabbled with Big Green Eggs, I am playing around with temp control some but have taken it up to 750* to cook a flat iron steak, did some veggies, some burgers and am now doing some beef ribs. Unfortunately I only have a couple of pix since I decided to video tape the trial run. FYI, grilling one handed on a new cooker while filming with the other is quite a trick!

The only issue thus far is that although the removable sidetables are nice, they are very narrow so you have to balance platters, etc. very carefully.

One question, Todd. Did you figure out how to attach the tool hooks? Do you just drill them into the side tables? The assembly directions were very vague all the way through, though I got it together alone in about 40 minutes.

It took me a minute to figure out the hooks, too. There are pre-drilled holes on the bottom. The plate rests on the holes and the hooks extend out from there. I'll grab a pic in a bit. Mine is cooling down before going into the garage.

Its a little "leaky". I could see smoke whisking out of the gasket when the dampers were closed down to almost completely shut. The daisey wheel is leaky, too. I think that can be tightened down, but I don't know how much that will help. I like the swing grate on the top, but I question the use of chrome instead of stainless or porcelain. Is cooking on chrome safe?

Here's a couple pix. I did notice the leaks out of the top, Todd, when I was trying to bring the temp down. Just checked the beef ribs and they're looking good so far. Still need to figure out how to diffuse heat for brisket, etc.
CIMG1192.jpg

CIMG1193.jpg

CIMG1196.jpg

Back