"Jack" Chips on a Gasser Grill

The_Kapn

Moderator Emeritus

Batch Image
Reaction score
Don't laugh--gassers work fine for their intended use, like tonight! :lol:

Found JD wood chips and pellets in plentiful supply at Wally World on Fri. Just had to try them! Bought a pack of each. Not cheap, for sure!
I have been experimenting with various chips and pellets on the gasser grill-- with some great (and some forgettable) results in the flavor.

Did a really nice Ribeye on the gasser with JD chips in foil for supper tonight.

Lessons learned--
1--Simple "holes in the foil" may work, but you will use a hell of a lot of fuel to get there! I wound up just "slitting" the top for a "small and controlled" burn that lasted the whole length of the steak cook.
2--When it is in the frigid 50's outside, go ahead and leave all 5 burners cranking out heat! I normally shut off the middle and the one to the right of that one. But, the heat plummets in "frigid weather" :twisted:
Heck--it is only a fuel bill--no big deal!

3--Mesquite works great, but JD chips rock! :lol:
Gonna go back tomorrow and stock up for the year. Hard to come by most of the time.

4--"Emeril" :lol: gave me a ThermoPen for Christmas. I can not thank him enough! I could never develop the "feel" to just press or poke a steak or chop and pull it off at medium rare or "whatever". Now, I just "stick it" with the ThermoPen and when I see 125-130 ish, it "goes to foil to rest"!
Life is grand since I do not miss "doneness" now!
Technology overcomes lack of talent! :oops:

Pics included so I don't get banned from here! :oops:
The final plating was not complete. I had to grab a quick pic before Mrs Kapn hit me with the taters and roll to finish it up.

A great quick cook in the evening in chilly Florida!

TIM

Attachments

• Ribeye1.jpg
    Ribeye1.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 70
  • Ribeye2.jpg
    Ribeye2.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 70
You'll get no disrespect from me on this topic Tim. I use JD chips on my gasser. The foil packet is definitely a learned technique. I'm still a stubborn diehard burning wood for Q. I use my Brinkmann Pro 2500 a lot for grilling. With the weather and time constraints I have seriously considered gassing my BSKD. Did I say that outloud?

Kevin-
After fightin' the cold & wind yesterday with two 20 lb hams in my BSKD, I understand where you're coming from:!:
Dave

I picked up a bag of the JD barrel chips today; so, I'm happy to see that you got good results. I have used the JD charcoal pellets with good results in the past.

The JD chips sure do have a nice aroma to them in the bag. I'm anxious to do a chuck roast with them.

I try my best to keep a bag of JD barrel chips on hand at all times. I use them by themselves for some things, and mic them with apple for chicken and some pork.

I, too, first used JD chips on my old gasser. No disrespect here, either. :wink:

I got one of them cast iron chip boxes for gasser/kettle

No chips work as good as them JD chips. They impart a very nice flavor on beef, for sure.

Looking through the McHenry's (sp) catalog, I see tabasco has chips too. Wonder how those would be

what's dat white chit in da bowl by the plate? Looks like what the old folks used to call "smearcase" LOL

Seriously though...Steak looks dang tasty!

saw some guys last year buying whiskey barrels at wally world....still had a little whiskey in the bottom, they were cutting them up for smoking wood.

Looking through the McHenry's (sp) catalog, I see tabasco has chips too. Wonder how those would be
I bought some a couple of years ago at a comp and I've used them a few times. To be honest, I don't really care for them. I've tried them with pork, chicken and beef with blah results.

Back