MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:55 PM   #1
DawgDrvr
Found some matches.

Exclamation Lump VS. Briquettes

Ok, so its an age old debate 'Lump or Briquettes'. Sense I am new to smoking,And very new to smoking on my 'Bandera' I am needing some input on what would be better for long and slow cooks. My options are Trader Joe's (Rancher) Briquettes. I can get an 18.lb for $6.50 or a 40.lb bag of Lazzari restaurant grade lump for $12.00 .At Cash & Carry.

The only lump that I have tried, was a generic bag of Mesquite ,Imported from Mexico. It had no other markings on the bag other than 'Hardwood Mesquite lump Charcoal'. When i used it, It popped and spit sparks for 3 hours.I have used 'Stubbs' briquettes but my local Lowes jacked up the price after labor day and i don't feel like paying $9.00 for a 10lb bag

any info or input would help.

thanx guy'z

Cody
DawgDrvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2010, 01:17 PM   #2
Smokey Al Gold
is Blowin Smoke!

Well this really boils down to personal preference. Some people like lump some like briquettes so you won't get a straight answer. You can really use either to successfully smoke. You can get a long burn with both but with lump you may need to pack it together really well to get a good even burn. Briquettes usually give you steady even burns as long as you use a quality brand. Most guys here use regular blue bag k and royal oak lump available at wally world. Mesquite lump almost always pops and sparks by the way. I would try smoking with both once and see which suits you more. Hope this was of some help to you.

Creator of:
"The Great Chicken Sammich Debacle of 2010"
Smokey Al Gold is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2010, 01:18 PM   #3
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

I use lump in my bandera along with sticks or rounds. I don't think it make any difference in what you use, it's all in the fire control.

Sticks are used for fuel and smoke so choose whatever type you like.

Long and slow means tending the fire. On mine that means every 40 minutes or so. No sleep on long cooks.

If you need help on fire control, that another question.

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2010, 01:34 PM   #4
Big_T_BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

I like briquettes for uniformity - I add hickory, apple, or birch chunks to them for smoke. My preferred brand is Royal Oak Briquettes from Do It Best (they ship to local stores for free) $17.99 for 40 Lbs. More even burns than blue k and MUCH less ash.

http://doitbest.com/Charcoal+and+Lig...sku-838136.dib
Big_T_BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2010, 01:41 PM   #5
Harbormaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_T_BBQ View Post
I like briquettes for uniformity - I add hickory, apple, or birch chunks to them for smoke. My preferred brand is Royal Oak Briquettes from Do It Best (they ship to local stores for free) $17.99 for 40 Lbs. More even burns than blue k and MUCH less ash.

Dude, we must be related.

I have gone pretty much exclusively to the Royal Oak Chef's Select from DoItBest as well. Best of both worlds, as it's a natural briquette; ground up lump and plant starch.

And I thought I was the only guy that used birch.
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2010, 02:19 PM   #6
altongrady
Knows what a fatty is.

I have been able to manage very well with Royal Oak Lump on my Bandera
It is readily available in Alabama at Walmart and is a reasonable price.
altongrady is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2010, 02:24 PM   #7
Red57Bird
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:

Gotta agree here as well. Very consistent briqs with very long burn times. I ended up having problems with the magnets I use for air control on my UDS and I was unable to snuff out the fire. My UDS burned at about 275 degrees for a total of almost 3 full days. My coal basket holds maybe 10-12 pounds and there was maybe 2 cups of ash after the full burn. It's the only thing I used in my UDS.
Red57Bird is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2010, 02:35 PM   #8
Big_T_BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbormaster View Post
Quote:

Dude, we must be related.

I have gone pretty much exclusively to the Royal Oak Chef's Select from DoItBest as well. Best of both worlds, as it's a natural briquette; ground up lump and plant starch.

Well, we are Brethren

My parents did some heavy trimming of a birch tree when they recently moved so I got about 25 lbs of 2-3" x 12" pieces for nada. The garage rafters in the spring/summer work well for rapid drying.
Big_T_BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-16-2010, 02:38 PM   #9
murk20
Got rid of the matchlight.

I find that lump coals burn out alot faster. I stick briquettes
murk20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2010, 02:44 PM   #10
ChicagoSizzlin
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by murk20 View Post
I find that lump coals burn out alot faster. I stick briquettes

I use lump when I do direct cooking like steaks and such. Its good for high temp stuff or some indirect cooking even. Other than that I use K Briquettes for low n slow on the UDS. Lump burns much faster in my UDS than Briq's does. The same amount of Briq's I would use for a 14 hours cook lasts maybe half the time using lump. I buy both for specific cooks but for Low n Slow stick with briq's.

Proud Owner of a UDS & UDG

My UDG - Ugly Drum Grill

Member of the Drumhead Club
ChicagoSizzlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2010, 03:40 PM   #11
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

One thing I've noticed with the high humidity here in south Louisiana is if you keep briquets for a while they tend to absorb moisture out of the air more so than lump. Makes it harder to light, but they do have the consistency advantage hands down. Plus as I have seen others say on here thatbriquets
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2010, 03:42 PM   #12
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Sorry hit the send button by mistake.

I was saying for whatever reason, btiquets seem to give a nicer smoke ring. Not a big deal in the yard, but at competitions it helps.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2010, 03:54 PM   #13
2Fat
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbormaster View Post

thought you still had about 1200bags of Rancher lump still in reserve<lol>
KCBS #9269 and #4605
Blazen Gridiron
BWS Competitor--sold
BWS Pro Jr--sold
BWS party(all SS)
BDS--on loan
BGE
2Fat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2010, 03:56 PM   #14
MOS95B
is one Smokin' Farker

I use both Stubb's briquettes, and Cowbly lump. I like the brquettes for starting the fire, and lump for maintaining
MOS95B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2010, 04:03 PM   #15
prudog
On the road to being a farker

I always use rancher in my vertical gravity feed unit when smoking. Not only does the briq feed better, I feel that briq gives very consistent results and much longer burn times. But, I burn my share of lump when grilling, which I do more than smoking. So... I got bags of both.

It was only recently that I could get Rancher locally, and I still went way out of my way to keep it stocked. I really love the Original Charcoal Company lump that I tried last time I made a run... I guess there is a time and place for everything.