Recent activities

cameraman

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Growing up on Long Island and being nurtured on real Jewish deli I've watched others pastrami adventures with lust and admiration. Well last weekend I broke out a couple of corned beefs, soaked them (with water changes) for about 24 hours, rubbed them with course ground black pepper, ground coriander, and garlic powder. At 8 am on Saturday I couldn't find whole coriander or granulated garlic. Next time. One thing I learned from my years of Deliphilia is that pastrami should be steamed for a couple of hours before serving and sliced right out of the steamer. Trust me when I tell you it makes for a tender juicy product. So here without further adieu is what I like to call my Tennessee Jewbecue. I also threw in a couple of shots of yesterdays ribs so you don't think I don't have great respect for my gentile brothers.

20100414_0055.jpg

20100414_0065.jpg

20100414_0068.jpg

20100414_0038.jpg

20100414_0052.jpg

20100414_0053.jpg

20100414_0020.jpg

20100414_0024.jpg

20100414_0014.jpg

20100414_0016.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Fantastic!

I myself am also aware that steaming is key, what i have been doing is slicing then streaming. This reheats the pastrami and of course adds the proper moisture to it .

Thanks for sharing!

Excellent stuff there Cameraman, I too am a pastrami steamer. Those ribs look great too. I am a bones down guy, did you flip them or do you prefer chine bone up? If so, why bone up?

Reminds me of a Deli in Jersey..... YUMMMY!! :thumb::thumb::clap2::clap2:

How many times did you change the water? I may have to try this experiment this weekend....

Those ribs look great too. I am a bones down guy, did you flip them or do you prefer chine bone up? If so, why bone up?

Landarc, this is only my second season smoking and there is much I have to learn. Honestly, I never knew there was a bone up/bone down issue. That's the way I did it Tuesday. I don't intentionally flip it, though I might have coming out of the 2 hr foil (I do a 3-2-1). I do however rotate them in the rack at least once during the cook.

Nice! The omelet looks excellent! Thanks for posting.

Wow, that's some good eatin'!

You're pretty skilled with both the camera and a grill. Kudos!

William

Thanks for the kind words. I was really surprised by how good the pastrami turned out and I'll be doing it again soon. I can't imagine getting beyond burnt burgers without everyone's help here. This place is da best!

I want to do a few Corned Beefs next! What recommended internal temp do you shoot for on the Jewbeque Pastrami??

I took it to about 165,though I was looking for 160. I let it sit for a while than refrigerated it. The next day it sat on a steam rack in a loosely covered pot for 2 hours before slicing and serving.

Back