THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

K

kcquer

Did my burn in yesterday and all went fairly well except I used what seemed like a ton of fuel. It was rather breezy and probably contributed to fuel consumption. I used combo of lump for heat, k'ford for logevity and hickory chunks cause without hickory just as well cook in the house. In solid kicks reply he mentions the necessity of getting fire up off the floor. Can you raise the fire grate level far enough to help and still add fuel through the door? Lifting the lid sure seemed to be a thermal disaster and want to avoid that as much as possible. I have an old grate made for an outdoor fire place that makes 9 ga expanded look like window screen I think combining this grate with the fire brick mod will get me in the right direction. Also crossed my mind that letting a dome of heat build up in the lid is a wasted of fuel, would a liner in the lid to direct heat into the smoker do any good? On a positive note baffle worked like a mother. Had 3 oven thermo's and no matter where in the smoker I put them never more than 10 deg variation. Any and all comments and suggestions appreciated. scott

You're absolutely right kcquer. The firebox is where most of the heat is lost due to the temperature differential between the inside and outside. Therefore, wanna keep the smoke box temperature up? Dont loose it from the firebox to begin with. If you follow this link and read the thread, you will see what I've done easy and cheaply to address this issue (pictures, etc.).
http://206.180.232.131/~brethren/in...ewtopic&t=1034&highlight=fire+box+heat+shield

PS: has anyone else done anything else besides the fire brick bottom mod to improve the firebox?

mark, thanks looks like a winner to me can't wait to get my fixes done and get a brisket in the thing. Burnt ends are no. 3 on my list of favorite things right behind hummers and Budweiser.

Just the steel plates on my baskets front and back are 3/16 inch thick. This helps heat loss. See For sale Forum and Mods for pics.

Mark, just caught this on your picture and was wondering

You cover the slats on the side of the firebox that I use to raise the firegrate up off the bottom.

Do you suspend your firegrate in some fashion?

Just trying to visualize how to get both accomplished.

Bill:

I place a grate between the firebox "pan" and the grate with the short legs that comes with the Bandera. That air space gives me a little insulation on the bottom.

Scott,
I too live in the Midwest Wind Tunnel. How were the winds that day? Wind will burn wood faster than temp. I keep my Bandit in a wind sheltered area.

Bigdog's right. Any exterior surface has a film of air that acts as insulation. However, that film is easily diminished by wind. It also was "rather breezy" in STL relative to the calmer but colder conditions the last time I smoked and I noticed smokebox temps were down 25 to 50 deg. F. this time.

The solution to all temperature problems: Wood Fire.
Need more heat? Throw on some more wood. Need less heat? Use less wood. :D

Saiko said:
The solution to all temperature problems: Wood Fire.
Need more heat? Throw on some more wood. Need less heat? Use less wood. :D

Saiko :

Given your climate maybe. It's a little different up here though. I suggest building a wind screen and my firebox mods if you're attempting to smoke in freezing/windy conditions and especially if your fuel is expensive.

I agree on the wind effect. Earlier on Saturday the winds were higher and I had to keep the fire really stoked with wood. As the day went on the winds died down and then I needed very little fire to keep the temp right. The wind really does make a difference up here.

Yea, I was just being silly. Down here, there is no lack of trees, that's for sure. If you really worked at it, you could probably get all the wood you want for free. As it is now, I probably spend about 2 or 3 bucks for 10 hours worth of wood.
Not only that, but you can get out of just about any chores the whole time you are smoking. "Honey, I CAN'T put up those shelves, I gotta watch that fire!....now where the hell did I put my beer?"

Thanks every body for the patience and advice y'all are cool as the other side of a pillow.

Back