First Briskets: A work in progress

D0ughB0y

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Since I've got the meat, I've got the smoker, I've got the time, and I've got a bunch of people coming over tonight I figured I'd throw on two flats.

I'm trying to keep them 225-250 for the duration of the smoke. I rubbed them both down with a basic rub then added a cumin/chili mix to one and worchestershire/garlic/rosemary to the other.

I'm doing them fat side down. Using a mix of apple and cherry wood.

Here they are rubbed and ready:
IMG_1385.jpg

After a few hours on the smoker, I tossed another chunk of cherry on the coals and sprayed the top one down with a 50/50 mix of applejuice and jack daniels. The bottom one seems to be catching a good bit of drippings from the top one.

IMG_1391.jpg

A closeup of the top flat:

IMG_1394.jpg

That is looking awesome! Cant wait to see the finished results.

wow looking great. Apple juice and Jack Daniels... I'm a Jim Beam type of guy, but I think I might just try that. Wait are we taking about drinking it?

The worchestershire/garlic/rosemary with the basic rub blend mix sounds like a winning combo..

Good Luck !!

Temp

What temp are you thinking of pulling it at? I actually just started a brisket and two racks of pork ribs and was wondering what to pull the brisket at.

I am doing mine with a kitchen sink rub that I got off of here.

What temp are you thinking of pulling it at? I actually just started a brisket and two racks of pork ribs and was wondering what to pull the brisket at.

I am doing mine with a kitchen sink rub that I got off of here.

I'm assuming you mean pull off the smoker, as opposed to pulling like pulled pork. I foil mine at around 170* and cook until there is no resistance with a thermometer probe. That's usually somewhere around 200-205 but not always

It is about 155 right now. I'm going to crank open all the vents and let the heat come up as high as it will go when it hits 185. From there at about 195 or so, I'm going to foil it and toss it in the cooler until I serve it at 8:30-9.

I'm assuming you mean pull off the smoker, as opposed to pulling like pulled pork. I foil mine at around 170* and cook until there is no resistance with a thermometer probe. That's usually somewhere around 200-205 but not always

Yeah, I mean pull off the smoker. So you foil at 170 as to not overcook the outside and help seal the flavor in? And then pull close to 200ish just based off of the probe resistance.

The ribs I am looking at doing the bend test with. I hope my brisket looks half as good as the ones above. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like I hit that plateau. I also can't seem to get the WSM up over 270-275. I've got plenty of coal burning, everything is open 100%, and I've got the door upside down and wedged a little. It is 30 degrees out and the meat is sitting at 164. Hopefully I can break through this because I've only got another hour and a half before I have to pull that foil it and get it over to the party.

Recent pics:

IMG_1397.jpg

IMG_1400.jpg

Pulled and tossed in foil. Ready to take off to the party, slicing it there.

IMG_1414.jpg

IMG_1416.jpg

Party Hearty! From the look of those pics, everyone will love you.

Back