UDS Lid (Bottom of Weber grill)

E

eyenology

When we did our build BIL had a couple bottoms of Weber 22.5 grills left over from previous builds. We decided to weld this to the lid of the drum and cutout the lid with a sawzall creating a rim that fits perfectly.

It was a "pretty close" fit, and to make it perfect I needed to slightly bend out the rolled rim on the grill, but it wasn't too much. We tested several lids before we found one that fit both the drum and the grill.

We didn't take photos during the build, but here's some detail shots of the finished lid. Let me know if there are other shots you'd like to see and I'll try to get them up.

Attachments

• 4155081581_abf415516f.jpg
    4155081581_abf415516f.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 418
  • 4155843624_dcae3bbaff_o.jpg
    4155843624_dcae3bbaff_o.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 415
  • 4155844106_acfa94c052.jpg
    4155844106_acfa94c052.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 415
  • 4155080433_e7e67a30aa.jpg
    4155080433_e7e67a30aa.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 414
Yeah, we took the handle off to paint and it just made sense. Also forgot to mention that we cut the leg supports off with an angle grinder.

I see. So you welded the Weber bottom to the ring cut out of the drum lid? Makes sense to me. The drum lid is already a perfect fit to the drum so then just weld the lid to it. Very nice. How did you go about removing the porcelain coating so the that welds would stick?

I see. So you welded the Weber bottom to the ring cut out of the drum lid? Makes sense to me. The drum lid is already a perfect fit to the drum so then just weld the lid to it. Very nice. How did you go about removing the porcelain coating so the that welds would stick?

We just used the angle grinder to get metal on metal the entire way around. Also, we cutout the lid AFTER the weld. I think it would have been very difficult to cutout before welding. We used the shortest blade we could find on the sawzall to avoid hitting the side of the dome.

Awesome! Thanks. One question? What is that white stuff? It's everywhere roofs, smoker, and ground.....

this thing kicks up A LOT of ash :) just kidding

It's been snowing here off and on the last couple of days...

Waiting to cut the lid out till the end will probably save on warping during the welding process too. While I don't have an extra Weber bottom, I do have an extra lid I have beens saving. I think I'm gonna use this technique but with a Weber lid instead. Makes perfect sense and makes for one perfect, airtight fit.

Thanks for the pics and tutorial. Now all I need is another drum.:twisted:

Hmm, so let's say a person can't weld or doesn't have access to a welder etc, do you all think JB Weld would work and hold as an alternative?

Last edited:
I'm not sure, never used JB Weld. I'm sure someone out there has more experience with this than me.

Sweet mod. I need me some similar mod parts. Oh. And to learn how to weld.

A coworker asked me if simply soldering the pipe nipples i the intake holes would be enough? Sounds interesting is you used lead-free solder, but would there be enough surface contact for that to be secure?

Looks good Eye...
Here was my attempt last year...
IMG_9637.jpg

IMG_9642.jpg

I still have it, but don't use it much anymore...I ended up getting a new lid from Weber...and the lids are so much easier to handle than the bottom of a kettle.

But they do look pretty sharp:mrgreen:

Back