Dutch Oven Pizza with Pron

LMAJ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
We went to visit some friends at camp today and we put pizza on the menu. I had been talking with Roo a while ago and got the idea. We decided to turn the ovens upside down and make the pies on the lid.
Here is the set up... coals under the lid and on the top of the ovens
IMG_0230.jpg

Pizzas ready to go...
IMG_0232.jpg

Notice the fancy pizza peal...
IMG_0233.jpg

In the ovens
IMG_0237.jpg

IMG_0238.jpg

The finished product...
IMG_0240.jpg

IMG_0241.jpg

It was a little tricky doing it this way because someone had to lift up the oven to check the pizza and on one or two the bottoms got scortched. But, considering this was our first shot at it, I claim it to be a success. We had a blast since everyone made their own it got everyone involved. Was it as good as pizza off the BGE?? Nope - but a couple of Dutch Ovens are a heck of a lot easier to transport....
Thanks to Big Al for taking the pictures...

Upside down! I love it. DO cooking is good fun.

It's waaaaay past my bedtime but I'd hit that just before going to bed!
Gotta fix me some of those cast iron pans!
Looks very tasty LMAJ!

Great idea, I will have to try that next time I am camping.:wink:

nice! nothing like making pizza when camping.

i wonder if you could make the pizza in the bottom of the dutch oven and use the lid on top like when making biscuits. maybe that would prevent burning the crust so much if there was a gap between the cast iron and the coals. use the parchment to lower the pizza into the oven and then lift it out when it's done. i don't know, just thinking out loud.

p.s. i like that peel. i use an old warped cookie sheet.

i wonder if you could make the pizza in the bottom of the dutch oven and use the lid on top like when making biscuits. maybe that would prevent burning the crust so much if there was a gap between the cast iron and the coals. use the parchment to lower the pizza into the oven and then lift it out when it's done. i don't know, just thinking out loud.

Yep - you sure can. It seems like that is how most folks do it from my research.
This way would be better with a shorter DO and a lid rack (which I left at home....)

Back