How Y'all? Hi from SC

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hugh Jorgan

Hello everyone, I'm from the South Carolina low country. But now I live in the piedmont. Just south of Charlotte, NC, (30 minutes). Mid thirties, 6' 1", 200lbs and climbing thanks to this site. Married, one kid, (4 female), 2 happy dogs, 2 finicky cats. I work with my dad, we build transmissions and do driveline work. Metal working skills and a new drum every two weeks, I'm in heaven now. Thanks.

I have been reading the uber UDS thread for about three weeks now. I have built one truly ugly drum smoker and cooked a brisket on it and then a butt. Should have done chicken on the first run but the next brisket will just taste that much better. Love the drum. Best BBQ I have ever eaten.

Hope to finish my permanent UDS this week. I will make a thread and pics in the appropriate place. This weekend we're going to do a butt, a drunken chicken or cornish hens and a rack of ribs. I would say wish me luck but this is almost like not cueing at all it's so easy. Gotta be careful though, too much free time to talk to Jack, Jim and George while the meats on. :icon_devil

Big thanks to Bigmista, his videos led me to this site. Once here I have to give a collective thanks to the group. There are just too many good ideas to single anyone out. That being said, I will single someone out after all, thanks Norcoredneck. You have inspired me greatly.

Welcome. I think this is an awesome sight and there are great guys and gals that will help in anyway they can:-D

Thanks

Thanks everyone.

I am off to the grocer to acquire 2 chickens, 1 pork butt 5 or 6 lbs and enough sausage to make my first smoked fatty.

While it's cooking today and tonight, I am going to work on my permanent UDS. The first is working beautifully. I can't believe how easy this is compared to the way we used to do it.

I cherish the memories of building temporary pits, smoking whole hogs in dug out holes in the side of hills, (we did that the year I lived in VA working a tobacco farm), and staying up all night with the old guys shoveling coal into a homemade cinder block pit covered with a few pieces of tin. No thermometers anywhere in sight. Ahhhhhhhhhh.

But with the UDS all I have to do is light it, load it, shake the basket and eat. :razz: My wife loves it. Thanks for the welcome and for the great recipes and ideas.

Welcome to the addiction... Remember, there is no 12 step program for us!!!

Welcome and enjoy the ride:icon_bigsmil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back