Canopy?

Skidder

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Anyone know of where get a deal on a canopy for competition. Don't want to spend a fortune. Just something to keep some rain and sun off. Thanks.

What's your budget ?

You can get cheapo canopies at a sporting goods store etc.. but they won't last long and definitely won't withstand wind and may let in a good deal of water if it rains heavily.

Or you could get a carport type canopy at an auto supply place etc.. These require more assembly but work great

or you can get a an EZ UP or Caravan Canopy etc. that are made more study and have better canvas tops.

Thanks guys I will Google them and see what I come up with. The other option I might have is to rent one. It's only a one time contest for me. Maybe!

I have 2 (Red) Quik Shade Market Place Canopies....So far have lucked out...

Held up well at Sayville, LI, New Paltz, NY and Limerock, CT... all with severe weather...50 plus mile hour winds and rain...

The carry bags are crap... I repeat... the carry bags are very poor quality...

Purple Turtle lost an EZUp in NH...

They have one of my Quik Shade's (RED) ...took it to Harpoon, Windsor, VT and Best of the Best, Decatur, GA

Hey Nancee...can I have it back? Sometime sooooon...?

We used both of them at Lake Placid...

They are not expensive...

and have held well..

Some parts were lost at Harpoon...replaced for free with a phone call!!! Overall a good experience...Bought my first one in driving horizontal rain at Sports Authority...allowed me to cook Brisket for Rotary.. saved the day!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

It's only a one time contest for me. Maybe!

LOL...
Thats what you THINK. I said that a few years ago too... welcome to the dark side.

Stay away from the 59-99$ 'specials'. they will fall apart in a light breeze. Buy good one and use it for other stuff too.

I own several EX-UP models, but I'm sold on Caravan having used them when cooking with Vinny or Phil. I'd rather bungy cord two of them togther than deal with putting up a Titan or similar carport.

LOL...
Thats what you THINK. I said that a few years ago too... welcome to the dark side.

Stay away from the 59-99$ 'specials'. they will fall apart in a light breeze. Buy good one and use it for other stuff too.

What he said...

Sam's Club has EZ-Ups at a decent price. It's seasonal though, so probably won't find any now.

I have a Quik Shade I bought for rocket launches. The top is decent quality but a 25-30 MPH wind bent the frame. I did a repair job on it, but to make it right I would have to buy replacement parts. Had I guyed the corners tightly, it probably wouldn't have bent, but I hate to have cords that people may trip on. I only staked the corner supports at the bottom. Without guying the corners, I wouldn't trust this brand in the wind.

LOL...

Yep! You are done now!

Thanks guys I will Google them and see what I come up with. The other option I might have is to rent one. It's only a one time contest for me. Maybe!

Haha, they are never a one time contest... Once you do your first one you'll be hooked even if you don't get a walk. Hangin with the brethren is reason enough to spend the cash on a comp. :wink:

Back