Catering Gig Question.

Cabntmkr1

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I am going to be smoking some 'Que for our annual company picnic.
The head count looks to be about 400.
The company wants (at this point) to serve three meats; brisket, pulled pork, and chicken.
My question isn't about how much to smoke (quantity-wise), but how much of each meat to purchase (percentage-wise).
I do not believe that the meats will be consumed evenly, that is to say, I think that chicken may be less popular along side of the brisket and pp.
Also, do you tend to serve more pork than brisket?
How do you catering guys determine the split percentage in the diff. meats?:?:

I think that you can also influence this by offering the meat you most want taken first.

I think that you can also influence this by offering the meat you most want taken first.

Unfortunately, it may be a buffet line. I would hate to run out of one meat and look like a dufus.

I appreciate the response, but this planner doesn't list a split, just total qty. to buy.
I am convinced that the meats will not be consumed evenly...

Good point but not sure there is an answer for this. This varible would be almost impossible to predict.

Ain't no magic formula there. They are paying for three meat items, so only experience will provide the numbers you are looking to get. It has to do with knowing your customer base i.e. kids, construction workers, women, men, etc.

It is better to have too much than too little! Does this making farking sense?:biggrin:

Put the meat to the end of your line. Put the meat you want taken first at the beginning.

Figure 40-50% shrinkage on the brisket and pork, so buy 200 pounds of raw product to get 100 pounds of cooked.

I'd figure a good 1/3 pound of meat per person if not a 1/2 pound if it will be mostly adults. Most will take at least two meats if not a bit of all three. I'd cook equal amounts of all three meats. You never know what they are going to eat. The same crew could leave you with no brisket one day only to devour the pork the next. If you are going to be long on anything, do it on the chicken or pork. They are cheap, so any waste is minimized from a cost perspective. Most of the time, as long as they get something to eat at the end of the line, people are happy.

Good point but not sure there is an answer for this. This varible would be almost impossible to predict.

Two weeks ago in Iowa we made four pans of beans on day one. Tossed two in the trash. The second day, we made three pans, ran out. You just never know.

Put the meat to the end of your line. Put the meat you want taken first at the beginning.

Figure 40-50% shrinkage on the brisket and pork, so buy 200 pounds of raw product to get 100 pounds of cooked.

I'd figure a good 1/3 pound of meat per person if not a 1/2 pound if it will be mostly adults. Most will take at least two meats if not a bit of all three. I'd cook equal amounts of all three meats. You never know what they are going to eat. The same crew could leave you with no brisket one day only to devour the pork the next. If you are going to be long on anything, do it on the chicken or pork. They are cheap, so any waste is minimized from a cost perspective. Most of the time, as long as they get something to eat at the end of the line, people are happy.
I like the way you think...:mrgreen:
That's the kind of info. that can make a world of difference between a successful catering gig, and an unsuccessful one.:wink:
Thanks Todd, and to everyone who offered tips and suggestions.

Unfortunately, it may be a buffet line. I would hate to run out of one meat and look like a dufus.

Like others have said, almost impossible to figure out those numbers.
For an honest buffet, a lb of meat, per meat, per person, and somebody gets a chit load of leftovers, but who can afford that?

Get some volunteers from work and have serving lines, then you can figure right to the person!

Back