• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Question for you guys that cater & compete...

thenewguy

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Do you try to serve the same quality of food and flavor when you cater an event that you do for competitions?
Or is there a difference in flavors

Not if you want to be competitive in the marketplace. I used to try and do so when I first started catering, but quickly abandoned that notion.

The difference is more in texture than in flavors. Food has to be cooked and then held when running a commercial operation. Not so in a competition. Also, cuts of meat are not cherry-picked in a commercial operation.

It's hard to cook 50 pieces of meat with the same love that cook one..with.

Ok I'll work on the grammar.

NO, The judges seem to like bbq a little different than my customers do. For example

My customers like fall of the bone tender ribs. For KCBS comps that texture won't score well.

The Judges tend to like a 'beefier' (for lack of better words) flavor in the brisket than my customers do. I end up using an injection in my briskets that I don't use when cooking at home.

I cook pulled pork the same for judges and customers. However I offer a lot more sauce choices with pulled pork for my customers, mustard based sauce, thin vinegar sauce and thick sweet sauce.

I cook chicken the same, execpt for judges we use an injection instead of a brine and we cook only thighes where we cook all parts for customers. The rub and the sauce is the same.

we use some of the same rubs, but no injections. I attempt to put out the same quality, but as Big Mista said earlier it is hard to put the love into 50 cuts of meat at a time.

Since I'm new to comps and never catered, I personally cook exactly the same whether its for family, friends, or judges. That includes picking out the meat, making the rubs and sauces, and cooking process. Where things differ is in presentation. I don't put meat for friends and family in little styrofoam containers with green leaf lettuce. :wink:

No way! Comps and catering are two different animals. Comps you can baby your meat, but when you are cooking for masses its more of get it done with quality thing.

I leave out a lot of steps and some expensive ingredients when I cook at home. I do not truly cater or vend, but I do cover expenses just fine :lol:
Mostly, attention to detail items like trimming, checking each rib for "perfection", etc.

I am finishing up a 2 day long "clean out the freezer" cook on CheKeeta today. Chucks, BuckBoard Bacon, 6 butts, 2 gal of beans, and 16 slabs.
Even if I charged full retail, I would still have cleared only about 50 cents an hour.
And that is leaving out a lot of time and expense compared to competing. :oops:

If I was doing it for a profit, I would have to cut a lot more corners and try to keep the quality up to a high level.

But, it is fun, gratifying, and great practice!

TIM

Same quality, same taste (well close) but different texture. Joe Blow -vs- KCBS Judge. You gotta play to your audience.

Comp vs Catering

I agree that it is hard to devote the same effort that one does at a bbq contest. But if you cater you may be tempted in cutting corners: such as cooking it then freezing it and then thawing and reheating, When it comes to catering i put the same passion into it that i put into competitions. I just don't include all the steps. I agree that judges are alot more descriminating than some of my customers. I always have said "I can put BBQ Sauce on a Buffalo chip and I can find sme one to eat it. lol

http://pigsontherunbbq.blogspot.com/

Same quality, same taste (well close) but different texture. Joe Blow -vs- KCBS Judge. You gotta play to your audience.

So out of curiosity - what is different in the texture of you competition meat verses your catering meat?

Back