A Butt Question.....

Single Fin Smoker

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Ok so let me peface this with I'm still a rookie at this....

How do you know when the butts done? For a function at my house this Sunday, I cooked two 7-8 pound bone in butts today. I plan to reheat them in the oven with some beef stock for moisture. They didn't say 'picnic' on the package.

Anyhoo, I saw on food channel that smoked butts are done when you can pull the shoulder bone right out of them with no meat attached. Is this true?

Today I cooked mine to internal temp of 165-170, which according to my themometer is done for pork. However, I pulled on both bones, they (sticking out a 1/4 inch from the meat) weren't gonna come out easy. Still pretty hot though.

By the way* these babys are resting as I type this.

Oh yeah, baby I shaved me a nice tester piece off over some rolls. Ya know, to make sure I got the flavor right........MMMMMMMMmmmmmmMMMMMMM!!! Damn Butts are good!!!!!
Even for a rookie dumb arse like me!!!

At that Temp those baby's are NOT done. You need to get them to around 195-200*.Then I like to give them a rest for a bit wrapped in foil and in a cooler.
You should be able to pull the bone out,and they should pull apart very easy.

As for reheating, there's a number of answers ...I like to pull mine ,bag cool or freeze .then reheat with a little apple juice and a pinch or two of my rub..just until heated through, and for that small an amount ..I'd personally heat the meat back up on the stove top in a large skillet with a lid.

Give it a try and let us know what happens.
Good luck,
John

The good news is when the bone slips free, they are done. Chalk one up for the food channel.

7c583015.jpg

The bad news is, they need to go to an internal of 195° to 200° before they are pullable. Any chance of you putting them back on the cooker or into the oven? It will take about 4 to 6 hours to finish them off. Faster if you foil them.

On butts that size I plan on about 16 hours of cook time.

great lookin' butt thirdeye.....wait, did I actually type that....:oops:

thirdeye said:
The good news is when the bone slips free, they are done. Chalk one up for the food channel.

7c583015.jpg

The bad news is, they need to go to an internal of 195° to 200° before they are pullable. Any chance of you putting them back on the cooker or into the oven? It will take about 4 to 6 hours to finish them off. Faster if you foil them.

Seriously 3rd Eye. Would you stop that? Now I have to go buy pork shoulders, cook em, and practice my picture taking.

Tumpedover, thanks for the reheating idea. Wine&Swine and I were actually working out a Christmas Eve menu today and I offered to cook a couple picnics ahead of time, pull em, then make little sliders as an appetizer. I usually cook em and eat em the same day.

Ok gents, My temp did come up to about 195. However, the bone is still stuck.
I'm gonna reheat em again on Sunday. Maybe they're gonna pull out then, or maybe I still suck at this...

Single Fin Smoker said:
I'm gonna reheat em again on Sunday. Maybe they're gonna pull out then, or maybe I still suck at this...

Are the butts still on the smoker??? If so and they are at 195* wrap 'em and put 'em in an ice chest for a couple hours. THen pull 'em out and pull.... The should be just right

Single Fin Smoker said:

It'll be great! If you still don't think it's tender enough after it rests overnight, wrap it in foil with a little liquid and reheat in the oven. Your not going to dry out a butt.

Single Fin Smoker said:

Besides ,if it got to 195* it'll pull....I'tll be great man

I cook my butts to an internal of 165 and then wrap them in foil with about a 1/2 cup of apple juice. I then take them off the smoker when the hit between 195-205. The bone should just slid out like a hot knife through butter!!

I stuck them in a 300 degree oven for about 2 and half hours to finish em off.
I noticed right away that they started spewing juice and love all over the place so I wrapped them in foil to cut off the escape. Bone got pretty loose.

They may be ready for a simple heat up on Sunday morning.

Question: What are ya'lls tips for keepin em from drying out? For my last butt, all I did was crack it open in a few spots, poured some beef stock over it, then warmed in foil in the oven.

How do you guys do it?

Never had a problem with butt drying out. I do use apple juice as a spritz while smoking. If reheating I sometimes add a little apple juice with a pinch of my rub to the pan.

I think Trideye uses Stunt Butts in his photos!:icon_bigsmil

Single Fin Smoker said:
Question: What are ya'lls tips for keepin em from drying out? For my last butt, all I did was crack it open in a few spots, poured some beef stock over it, then warmed in foil in the oven.

How do you guys do it?

If I plan on reheating whole, I don't take 'em out of the resting foil. There are enough juices in there to do the job. For reheating a pan of PP or when I'm vacuum sealing portions that will be heated in hot water or the microwave, I use Coca-Cola. I use the Coke when reheating brisket too.

Back