Recipe proposal: Chili Brisket

smokinbadger

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was making Chili last night and thinking about smoking a brisket this weekend, and had an idea which might combine the best of both. Before I give it a try, I'd like to get your thoughts. Here goes:

Saute a finely chopped red onion in olive oil for 3-5 minutes. Add in 4 cloves of chopped garlic and saute for a couple more minutes. Add finely chopped seeded peppers (I'm thinking a little bit of Habenero, some Pablano and Jalapeno and more Ancho and Cascabel). Add a cup or two of chicken broth, a small can of whole tomatoes and a square or semi-sweet chocolate. Allow to boil for 30 minutes. Then blend the whole mixture up to a fine puree. Inject the brisket with the mixture.

Rub the brisket with a mixture of coarse salt and black pepper, cumin, sweet paprika, brown sugar and a pinch of cayenne. Smoke at 210-225 for 6 hours, foil and continue for a total time of 1-1.5 hours per pound.

What do you think? I'm actually thinking of doing this on Sunday, but I have some time to fine tune the recipe based your input. Thanks in advance!

Honestly? I'd LOVE the injection mix with some cooked brisket cut up into it, but it is probably too much to expect all those flavors to come through once injected into meat then cooked a long time.

That said, I am always up for a cooking challenge so I'd welcome your test and feedback! The addition of chocolate has me intrigued since I assume you'll cool it before injecting?

honest opnion.. and this is just me..

i want my brisket taste like..
brisket
beef
smokey

I like to inject(if at all) with beef base, maybe mixed with some some applejuice. But not someting that will change the flavor, and not enhance it.

Just my preference.. but give yours a whirl and let us know..

Do you think(or have something) that such a chunky injection will fit thru the injector needle? Even pureed? Mine has trouble just passing rub thru it.

id cook the brisket and add it to the chili. just my .02

If you are determined to inject I'd strain out the seeds before the puree step, to avoid plugging up the needle.

I'm with Phil.
Of course I still think injecting with lobster base........

What about using the puree as a marinade or mop sauce?

I love to make brisket chili, but not chili brisket... I take leftover brisket (I intentionally make enough) and use it for the meat in my chili... it's great stuff.

Chocolate? Hmm, that's a new one to me, but I'd try it for giggles!

Arlin_MacRae said:

I use cocoa powder in my brisket rub... quite a bit, actually.

Arlin_MacRae said:

The more peppers I use, the more chocolate or maple syrup I use. On a recent Food Network show, Bobby Flay mentioned that the sweetness of the chocolate helps to neutralize the bitterness of the peppers while not interfering with the heat. Sounded good to me.

coffee does the same thing as chocolate.. takes away the acidity of the pepper and tomatos. i started using some Guiness or Becks Dark and it did the same thing too.

Cool thread. Has got me thinking and anxious for my new patio smoker.

cmcadams said:
I love to make brisket chili, but not chili brisket... I take leftover brisket (I intentionally make enough) and use it for the meat in my chili... it's great stuff.

Brisket Chilli is one of my fav use for leftovers. I have been known to smoke a brisket eat a small portion or it and turn the rest into

a) Chilli
b) Curry
c) Brisket and Ale pies
d) Brisket Wellington

I love the smokey richness.....

As for Chicken or Beef with Chili and Chocolate.....Oh my god that's nice....I'm drooling.

I sort of met my partner over Chili Chocolate Chicken!

I'm convinced. When I cook a brisket next weekend I'll inject, using a Guinness or other stout, then add some cocoa powder to my coffee rub. I might have to call it Starbucks brisket or something though... ;)

I am assuming we are talking unsweetened chocolate like in a mole?

Arlin_MacRae said:
I'm convinced. When I cook a brisket next weekend I'll inject, using a Guinness or other stout, then add some cocoa powder to my coffee rub.

Sounds like something an Irishman would eat after St Patricks day to clear the hangover!!! :icon_clown

Wine & Swine said:
I am assuming we are talking unsweetened chocolate like in a mole?

It was semisweet chocolate in that "Throwup with Bobby Flay" chili episode Smokinbadger is talking about. Here's the recipe:

4 tablespoons olive oil
2 pounds bottom round beef, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 (12 ounce) bottle dark beer
2 tablespoons finely chopped semi-sweet chocolate

1 large red onion, finely diced
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 poblano, seeded and finely chopped
1 teaspoon seeded and chopped habanero
1 Thai bird chile, seeded and chopped
1/2 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
1 tablespoon chipotle pepper puree
1 tablespoon ancho chile powder
1 tablespoon pasilla chile powder
1 tablespoon cascabel chile powder
1 teaspoon New Mexican chile powder
5 cups homemade chicken stock, or canned low-sodium or water
1 (16-ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained and pureed
2 tablespoons maple syrup, or more, to taste
Toasted Cumin Crema, recipe follows

Heat 3 tablespoons of the oil in a large Dutch oven over high heat. Season the beef with salt and pepper, and saute until browned on all sides. Sprinkle with the cumin and stir well. Deglaze the pan with the beer and bring to a boil. Stir in the chocolate and cook until beer is almost completely reduced.
In a separate pot, add 1 tablespoon of the oil and add the onions to the pan and cook until soft. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add the poblano, habanero, Thai bird, jand alapeno peppers and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the chipotle puree, ancho powder, pasilla powder, cascabel and New Mexican chile powders and cook an additional 2 minutes. Add the chicken stock and tomatoes and bring to a boil and boil for 15 to 20 minutes, or until all vegetables are tender. Puree with an immersion blender. Add the beef mixture back to the pan, reduce the heat to medium, cover the pan, and simmer for 1 hour, or until thick and beef is tender. Remove from the heat, add the maple syrup, and adjust seasonings.

Back