MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:46 AM   #1
Drh7003
Full Fledged Farker

Default Open Burning ordinances and BBQ

Yesterday, my municipality posted an "Open Burning" ordinance reminder on Facebook. With a Ending line - "
An electric or gas grill is permitted for cooking of food." Today after a great number of citizen comments this was added "
Grills, BBQ's, related cooking devices of food preparation for human consumption are excepted"

Well, That isn't what the ordinance says, but if that is their interpretation, then I am somewhat good with it. I just ponder the implications in the future.

I "believe" the main concern of the municipality is the influx of open fire pits, fire bowls and Chiminea, or as they call it "ambience" fires. Our borough has a population of around 1100 people, and it used to be a really nice place to live. BUT a new development was built with pretty expensive homes with people who moved here from other states. It will be really interesting at the next meeting...

1 members found this post helpful.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:56 AM   #2
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

When you cook, cook allot so when the FD shows up to put out your pit you can feed them first they might just change their mind. FF like good food.

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-18-2013, 10:56 AM   #3
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : DHQ

man that is terrible.. in PA.. move far south! lol we don't have any of those problems.. lol

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148660[/URL]

250 Gallon Offset Build (2012)

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211078[/URL]

600 Gallon Offset Build (2016)
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2013, 11:00 AM   #4
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

I say you roast the interlopers, low and slow!

Old 06-18-2013, 11:19 AM   #5
Elfmaze
On the road to being a farker

Amazing to see the huge house thing spreading that far out. Allentown is getting slammed with EX New Yorkers that come out and buy there "cheap" half million dollar Mc Mansions. really screwing up the real estate prices and traffic here
Elfmaze is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2013, 02:51 PM   #6
Gnaws on Pigs
is one Smokin' Farker

I'm amazed there are any rich yankees left up there to mess y'all up, I thought they had all already moved to Florida and here in western NC. that's why I like living out here in the woods in the middle of nowhere-I can build huge bonfires, pee off the front porch, shoot automatic weapons all day, skin deer hung off a tree in the yard, let my grass get waist high, or anything else that I durn well want to do.

Slow-to-average-speed [COLOR=dimgray]GRAY[/COLOR] Wal-Mart thermometer

Just a hungry hillbilly lookin for a dead critter to cook

Four [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zeros[/URL] in one [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=red]throwdown[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red],[/COLOR] baby! :bow:
Gnaws on Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 06-18-2013, 03:04 PM   #7
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnaws on Pigs View Post
I'm amazed there are any rich yankees left up there to mess y'all up, I thought they had all already moved to Florida and here in western NC. that's why I like living out here in the woods in the middle of nowhere-I can build huge bonfires, pee off the front porch, shoot automatic weapons all day, skin deer hung off a tree in the yard, let my grass get waist high, or anything else that I durn well want to do.
I did not know you live in Detroit.
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2013, 03:11 PM   #8
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drh7003 View Post
Grills, BBQ's, related cooking devices of food preparation for human consumption are excepted
I'm not a lawyer but I do deal with legislative language everyday. I read the statement as saying that grills, BBQs, etc are not banned.

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2013, 03:21 PM   #9
jamus34
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnaws on Pigs View Post
My folks moved out there from NJ....but I can tell you they're the furthest thing from the yuppie NY'er mentality.

Me personally I'm looking forward to moving out (although not nearly as far as I would really like). More and more I find that I really dislike the town I live in and the people (both the kids themselves and the parents of the kids) that my children are getting to know.

I'm most definitely not a "mountain man" type...don't hunt...fish once in a blue moon but never cleaned and kept my catch. But I like to BBQ...and I like to try to do home projects on my own within reason...Apparently things like mowing your own yard, putting in a garden and putting up a clothesline are extremely frowned upon in my town...ironic thing is growing up the town I lived in now was all working class WWII vets. Real shame where things have gotten to.

Now I'm just trying to bide my time til I can get out to west Jersey and get a little more property and not worry about my neighbors one way or the other.

22.5 OTS, 22.5 WSM, SJG (and soon to have the tamale pot mini-WSM conversion built)

Stealth gray Thermopen

jamus34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2013, 03:31 PM   #10
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamus34 View Post
My folks moved out there from NJ....but I can tell you they're the furthest thing from the yuppie NY'er mentality.

Me personally I'm looking forward to moving out (although not nearly as far as I would really like). More and more I find that I really dislike the town I live in and the people (both the kids themselves and the parents of the kids) that my children are getting to know.

I'm most definitely not a "mountain man" type...don't hunt...fish once in a blue moon but never cleaned and kept my catch. But I like to BBQ...and I like to try to do home projects on my own within reason...Apparently things like mowing your own yard, putting in a garden and putting up a clothesline are extremely frowned upon in my town...ironic thing is growing up the town I lived in now was all working class WWII vets. Real shame where things have gotten to.

Now I'm just trying to bide my time til I can get out to west Jersey and get a little more property and not worry about my neighbors one way or the other.
Mowing your own yard is an issue?? Man, that bites.

To the OP: bbq pits (wood/ charcoal ones) are usually exempt from these burn bans. They are mostly trying to discourage open fires, especially ones that can produce burning embers that the wind can disperse.
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2013, 03:34 PM   #11
jamus34
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliking View Post
Mowing your own yard is an issue?? Man, that bites.

To the OP: bbq pits (wood/ charcoal ones) are usually exempt from these burn bans. They are mostly trying to discourage open fires, especially ones that can produce burning embers that the wind can disperse.
Apparently your considered "lower class" if your actually do you own yardwork instead of hiring a landscaper (cutting service really) to do it.

22.5 OTS, 22.5 WSM, SJG (and soon to have the tamale pot mini-WSM conversion built)

Stealth gray Thermopen

jamus34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-18-2013, 03:43 PM   #12
captndan
Quintessential Chatty Farker

We have a volunteer fire department. When any of them drive by they stop and see if everything is ok. They have ask my to cook for their fundraiser. Damn right I will! Used to be that everyone waved when they went by. Lots of pickups and tractors. Now it's SUV's BMW's. No waves just noses sticking up in the air.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2013, 03:56 PM   #13
Teltum
On the road to being a farker

Yeah, I live in a city (A poor city at that). Cops don't bother me unless the whiney neghbors call the cops on me for my trash falling over in a wind storm the cop was decent enough when he found out he woke me up from napping and I had no clue.

Old 06-18-2013, 03:56 PM   #14
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfmaze View Post
Amazing to see the huge house thing spreading that far out. Allentown is getting slammed with EX New Yorkers that come out and buy there "cheap" half million dollar Mc Mansions. really screwing up the real estate prices and traffic here
It's like Reconstruction in reverse...
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-18-2013, 04:27 PM   #15
Porcine Perfection
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drh7003 View Post
Yesterday, my municipality posted an "Open Burning" ordinance reminder on Facebook. With a Ending line - "
An electric or gas grill is permitted for cooking of food." Today after a great number of citizen comments this was added "
Grills, BBQ's, related cooking devices of food preparation for human consumption are excepted"

Well, That isn't what the ordinance says, but if that is their interpretation, then I am somewhat good with it. I just ponder the implications in the future.

I "believe" the main concern of the municipality is the influx of open fire pits, fire bowls and Chiminea, or as they call it "ambience" fires. Our borough has a population of around 1100 people, and it used to be a really nice place to live. BUT a new development was built with pretty expensive homes with people who moved here from other states. It will be really interesting at the next meeting...

My dogs would make me move.