charcoal problem

barbeque nut

Reaction score
Hi, I just bought a weber 22.5 smokey mountain cooker/smoker. The company does not recommend using all natural lump charcoal because the higher heat wears out the unit faster. so now I am trying to find an alternate charcoal but without all the chemicals in it. any ideas? thanks:cry:

Hi, I just bought a weber 22.5 smokey mountain cooker/smoker. The company does not recommend using all natural lump charcoal because the higher heat wears out the unit faster. so now I am trying to find an alternate charcoal but without all the chemicals in it. any ideas? thanks:cry:

Well, 250 degrees is 250 degrees whatever charcoal you are using. Makes no sense to me that the smoker can tell the difference and wear out more quickly.

Use lump at a lower temperature :becky:. You don't have to cook it hot. Lots of folks using lump in their WSMs.

most of the natural briquettes out there are good, I use several different ones and all work fine.

use whatever you like. i found a more consistent burn with briquettes, many could disagree. i use stubbs. but am leaning toward switching to KB. i have two WSM's. sometime thhis spring i will cook with both at the same time, one with stubbs, the other KB, and see if i can tell a diference.

Weber doesn't recommend using lump charcoal because they are hooked up with Clorox (Kingsford).

If _________ company that only made lump was giving me product/money/etc, I would tell you to not use briquettes....

Stubbs and Kingsford Comp for me, when not using lump.:wink:

We have used nothing but lump in our 20+ year old WSM for 6 or so years. the door latch finally gave out, maybe it was the lump? :shock:

What's wrong with the twin pack sale on memorial day? Its pretty much buy one get one free.

Jmoney is one of the guys, as am I, that does not like the putrefied taste of kingsford blue.

For me, it is okay if you let it ash over before it comes in contact with the smoker. However, if you use it minion style, you might as well clean your Powerstroke with it first.

Use lump or if you want briquettes B & B is the ticket.

Jmoney is one of the guys, as am I, that does not like the putrefied taste of kingsford blue.

For me, it is okay if you let it ash over before it comes in contact with the smoker. However, if you use it minion style, you might as well clean your Powerstroke with it first.

Use lump or if you want briquettes B & B is the ticket.

I started using only lump about a year ago.

It was like cleaning out my lungs after years of smoking cigarettes!

What's wrong with the twin pack sale on memorial day? Its pretty much buy one get one free.

If you like that stuff on your BBQ, go right ahead. If you like it, use it. I do not, and none of the top teams a where around here that I know of use it. IMO here is why, some judges can detect if kbb was used during the cook. There is a taste and odor it puts on food that both my wife and I can't stand. We only do about 6 comps a year but judge 6-10 also. If you get a low score from a random judge, more than likely it will be from that reason. At the comp last weekend, there was a team called the post oak cookers that got 1st place ribs and they use kbb. I tried their ribs and they didn't have that weird taste and smell. I wen and talked to them and they said they only warm their pits up with kbb Because it's cheap. Thy add lump and post oak chunks to their backwoods when they need to. They also commented that they get a weird taste also from the kbb when adding them unlit, fuse burn or minion.

If you like that stuff on your BBQ, go right ahead. If you like it, use it. I do not, and none of the top teams a where around here that I know of use it. IMO here is why, some judges can detect if kbb was used during the cook. There is a taste and odor it puts on food that both my wife and I can't stand. We only do about 6 comps a year but judge 6-10 also. If you get a low score from a random judge, more than likely it will be from that reason. At the comp last weekend, there was a team called the post oak cookers that got 1st place ribs and they use kbb. I tried their ribs and they didn't have that weird taste and smell. I wen and talked to them and they said they only warm their pits up with kbb Because it's cheap. Thy add lump and post oak chunks to their backwoods when they need to. They also commented that they get a weird taste also from the kbb when adding them unlit, fuse burn or minion.

I guess everybody has there own opinion but I'm a master judge and I can't tell you what kind of fuel a cooker is using to cook his meats with. I'm going to have to pay more attention to that aspect I guess...lol.

I do use KBB to cook with at home and the only thing I can tell you is it last longer than Royal Oak briquettes. Never had any weird taste that I can remember.

I don't think the KB bothered QUAU when they won the Kingfords challenge in 2010. They also won team of the year in KCBS and won the Jack Daniels world Championship all in the same year using it.

Back