THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LC Que

Smoking a butt on the big green egg. Have gone through the plateau and am 178 degrees right now - shooting for 190 to 200. Usually when I get to this temperature, the thermopen goes in like butter for most of the butt - however, there always seems to be one section that seems to lag. Do you wait for it to reach the 190 to 200 range, or just pull and foil when most of the butt reaches the "butter stage"? Thanks

I've already foiled by this time, but I usually cook to 204+-, that way the other section(s) are like butter too.

I foil on color, not temperature. On my smoker I get that nice mahogany color at the 4 to 4.25 hour mark, so I foil then.

I am sure this is late by now, but I usually check them at 195 to see if the bone will pull with little resistence and most importantly cleanly. When it will I then foil it and wrap it in a towel and cooler it for at least 30 minutes, but usually an hour or more. I have cooked them to 205 before the bone would pull cleanly. I have also had them stall at 195 for an hour and then pull cleanly.

Back