MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:39 PM   #136
WvSmoke
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortaboy View Post
Guess you could save a lot of money this way. No need for a silly grill or other equipment.

All you need to do is put your meat on a piece of tin foil outside....turn after 10 minutes to warm the backside....done.

A fly net may be a nice touch.
If I did that, I couldn’t get the sear that I like. The sear keeps the flys away

Quote:
You and Wv smoke should go out sometime. You would make a nice couple.
Sorry, I’m married…to a woman who belongs in your club, and yes, I cook hers the way she likes it, medium to medium well.

Quote:
Question for you undercookers to ponder?

If undercooked meat is SOOOOO tasty, why do you do your que low and slow?

If you cooked low and fast, you would get some smoke on the outside, but the inside would still be nice and bloody....er juicy.

Any of you that hardcore?

I think you all wanna be on our team, you just are afraid to admit it.
Q’ing low and slow has nothing to do with eating a steak rare. I don’t eat everything that way. Pork is medium to well done, chicken is well done, and I don’t eat raw fish. I do eat squirrel med rare, as well as deer and rabbit. What it all boils down to is: when you say rare, I think steak. And yes, I love my steak quivering and with the slight trace of a pulse.
WvSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2011, 06:35 PM   #137
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Originally Posted by tortaboy
Question for you undercookers to ponder?

If undercooked meat is SOOOOO tasty, why do you do your que low and slow?

BECAUSE, grilling is hot and fast and best used with good tender cuts of meat that are nicely marbled. Barbecue is the art of taking really crappy cuts of meat, the ones given to slaves (ala. NOT high on the hog), and to render the fat so as the meat is moist and tender, and to do this you must cook low n slow. This, my friend, is called BARBECUE, and has nothing to do with grilling. Didn't I make that point to start with? I would suggest that before you go off making more of an *** of yourself you actually read a little about the definition and history of barbecue. THEN, learning how to take that crappy cut of meat and turn it into a succulent piece of barbecue so good you'll "slap yo mama" is another thing altogether. It's taken me 20 years+-, but I think I finally have most of it down. It took LOTS of practice and frankly throwing away a few hundred dollars of meat along the way.

If you cooked low and fast, you would get some smoke on the outside, but the inside would still be nice and bloody....er juicy.

Not tender. Extremely tough, and not juicy at all. Tell you what, try this yourself. You might actually learn why grilling and barbecue have little or nothing to do with one another.

Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills

Last edited by Lake Dogs; 10-24-2011 at 07:16 PM..
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2011, 06:45 PM   #138
buccaneer
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
I can't even debate this one with ya buddy. I just look for an absense of pink in my chicken. Once juices run clear, it's edible.

If god had meant us to eat raw meat, he would not have made thoroughly cooked meat so yummy.
Yup, you're trolling because you're cherry picking.
Can't have it both ways tortaboy, and can't hide by taking the position that you are the interpreter for a benevolent deity
You quote conditions and temps that you think mean safety because that is what you believe learned from some authority body and not experience, yet you eat chicken according to another completely contrary belief.
You've never heard of cerviche, escabeche, carpaccio, tartare,sashimi,poulet de bresse, toriwasa,gyu no tataki, basashi but you still think you have a case for deriding other peoples more informed decisions and choices?
Naaah, you are trolling bro.
Credit where credit is due, you got a lot of attention for an insecure wood eater!!

Last edited by buccaneer; 10-24-2011 at 07:14 PM..
buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-24-2011, 06:50 PM   #139
Kathy's Smokin'
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by buccaneer View Post
The proteins , myoblobin and H2O in meat is not blood, and the only time I have experienced that metallic taste is when I taste my own fresh blood.
Now THAT is blood.
Hi!

I had to think back to the time I had that metallic taste when eating non-blood bloody meat. I think it's the time I went to a posh restaurant and ordered a venison tapas. It grossed me out as all get out but like the trooper I am I tried it anyway. Even my partner couldn't eat it oozing that way but our dog loved it! I think it looked close to one of the first two steak pictures that was posted earlier in this thread. Maybe I was tasting buckshot, I don't know. That's the only piece of meat I ever tried to eat pulled that early from cooking, was almost just seared and then pulled it off after a short pause. I can't say that I've ever had the metallic taste in a steak that just had pink, though. I don't eat short-cooked meat often, I already know I don't like it, but sometimes I have to prove I'll try it or I do to save someone's feelings. I think I should think of my own feelings from now on, especially if I asked for well done and they try to sneak less done in. I'm giving them the wrong message by choking it down or sneaking it on to someone else's plate. It's amazing how many people invite me over and look or talk upset when I ask for my steak well done. I say, if you don't want to cook a steak for a guest you've invited for dinner the way they like it, don't serve steak. There's lots of other things to eat. I don't serve well done roast beef when I invite those people over because they will be unhappy with the food in front of them. I'd rather have fun together, drink (etc.) too much and serve something that makes everyone feel fantastic. Life's too short to create problems that don't need to exist. I'd rather party.
[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][I][B]Inspiration, boisterous merriment and good food are what Brethren Throwdowns are about![/B][/I][/URL]

[B][I][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Walk in beauty, Dan Chambers.[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][COLOR="DarkRed"]I am a success in life because I am loved.[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR="Lime"][I][B]"^^^ the fark is what u eats the frog wit not? Ban Ban"[/B][/I] [I][B]Southernsmoker[/B][/I][/COLOR]
Kathy's Smokin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2011, 07:07 PM   #140
buccaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy's Smokin' View Post
Hi!

I sit corrected. Makes sense, blood is in the veins, not the tissue. Doesn't change how I feel, though. There's so much food it the world to be adventurous with I can live without the adventure of trying to desensitize myself and eat non-blood bloody steak with a texture that feels so gross I gag on it because chewing it feels worse. I love the taste and texture of well-done steak, it makes me happy, makes my mouth happy and my joy spreads to everyone around me. Looks like that's one thing about me that doesn't need to be fixed.
Hi Kathy!
I read the post you made after this one but thought quoting this may be more useful to you.
Look at the language you have used and the way you used it and it is all right there in front of you, you are onto it.
This is about perception, emotional negative judgement and you wonder in the following post about the taste and how come it happened that time but not others.
The mind is a powerful thing, and it is very hard to overcome perceptions....and you don't have to if you don't want to.
I think the point I am making by posting here is that it isn't cool to shove your views onto someone else when those views are not any more valid. And you don't do that.
So, on that point I want to say that I support you 100 percent on your right to get the steak cooked the way you ordered it at a restaurant...and you have every right to send it back and also to question the integrity of an establishment that can't...or worse IMO...won't cook food to the desired doneness a customer wants.
Outrageous behaviour. They are now assuming the position of deciding how a customer should enjoy their food??
Not on.

Same at a friends house for dinner, I feel your pain but that is tricky isn't it, because we are under a social obligation to be a good guest.
Australians in general grill food till it is extraordinarily overdone, or at least that was a 'BBQ' when I was growing up.
I have eaten thousands of meats that I just hated.
All because I was taking the hosts feeling into account. I found so many excuses not to go to BBQ's
So that is my call on myself.
I won't show a host that I am not pleased, but for me that is easy because I am operating from a desire point of view.
For you, it is overcoming an emotional reaction of "Gross-gagging-disgust' and none of that is preference.
Do you see what I am getting at?
Geez, I hope I am coming across in the right way and being perceived as wanting to help.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:43 PM   #141
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Many restaurants have tried to serve me rare and medium-rare. I eat it because I'm hungry, I'm paying for it, and I'm most of all scared of what they will do to it if I send it back. I still like medium. It satisfies me the most.

(ordering medium well usually gets me medium as shown in the chart a few pages back)

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2011, 08:38 PM   #142
tortaboy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy's Smokin' View Post
Hi!

I sit corrected. Makes sense, blood is in the veins, not the tissue. Doesn't change how I feel, though. There's so much food it the world to be adventurous with I can live without the adventure of trying to desensitize myself and eat non-blood bloody steak with a texture that feels so gross I gag on it because chewing it feels worse. I love the taste and texture of well-done steak, it makes me happy, makes my mouth happy and my joy spreads to everyone around me. Looks like that's one thing about me that doesn't need to be fixed.
Kathy,

It's not you that needs to be fixed...it's THEM!
tortaboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2011, 08:40 PM   #143
tortaboy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WvSmoke View Post

I’m married…to a woman who belongs in your club, and yes, I cook hers the way she likes it, medium to medium well.
Ya got one thing going for ya......JK....

Old 10-24-2011, 08:42 PM   #144
NorthwestBBQ

Quote:
Kathy,

It's not you that needs to be fixed...it's THEM!
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-24-2011, 08:46 PM   #145
tortaboy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by buccaneer View Post
You've never heard of cerviche, escabeche, carpaccio, tartare,sashimi,poulet de bresse, toriwasa,gyu no tataki, basashi but you still think you have a case for deriding other peoples more informed decisions and choices?
Naaah, you are trolling bro.
Credit where credit is due, you got a lot of attention for an insecure wood eater!!
MORE INFORMED? You really are militant, aren't you.

You may want to pull the sticks out of some of your members A##'S. After being away all day I get blasted like this is some serious conversation. Apparently raw meat removes any resembleances of a sense of humor (You, Michael, and Wv Smoke excepted).

Last edited by tortaboy; 10-24-2011 at 09:16 PM..

Old 10-24-2011, 08:49 PM   #146
MilitantSquatter

Please end the nonsense or the thread will be closed
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-24-2011, 08:54 PM   #147
WvSmoke
Full Fledged Farker

I don't recall blasting you myself, but if you taste good rare...just saying.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:58 PM   #148
WvSmoke
Full Fledged Farker

Sorry MilitantSquatter...no offense intended.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:20 PM   #149
tortaboy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WvSmoke View Post
I don't recall blasting you myself, but if you taste good rare...just saying.
Sorry WvSmoke...I edited my comment.

Kumbaya

Not sure how this thread turned so serious today. I thought we were just having fun and discussing our preference as to how we like our meat cooked.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:25 PM   #150
WvSmoke
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Sorry WvSmoke...I edited my comment.

Kumbaya

Not sure how this thread turned so serious today. I thought we were just having fun and discussing our preference as to how we like our meat cooked.
Are you kidding? I was having fun! Trust me, no offense taken here!