Turn-In appearance

The_Kapn

Moderator Emeritus

Batch Image
Reaction score
In another thread I wrote:
My personal goal in life is to find a Pork Turn-in that will score Max. All teams have the same challenge of "How in the hell do you make pulled pork pretty?". The ones I have judged were just pork piled in the container. How dull--No imagination at all! We are getting closer to great appearance scores, but not quite there yet.

OK--any ideas from the experienced guys?

Here is the basic "theme" we have been using and it is scoring OK--but not max! Basically, Bark around the edges and pulled in the center.

We are producing lots of flavorful bark and use it to accent the box.
I saw two lady Judges almost "come to blows" to get some bark from a box at Minneola. Figured it can't hurt to accent it!

Just looking for something to "stand out" without being "cutsie".

IDEAS or suggestions for pork or any of the meat catagories???

TIM

BrooklynQ said:
That looks damn good. How did it score?

OK- but not great! 7's and 8's.

Here is the Plant City summary (Chickie paid cash and brass--5th--otherwise it was a "learning experience"!)

TIM

Tim
Those scores with the way judges are being asked to judge are very good appearance scores,
you just don't see many 9s any more.

jminion said:
Tim
Those scores with the way judges are being asked to judge are very good appearance scores,

Are those good scores Jim? With the judging instructions saying that 6 is average, I say that the box deserves a lot more than a 7.

jminion said:
Tim

Jim--we appreciate the thought!
My real question is---"What could be better?"
"Is it lopsided, too cutsie or contrived, unimaginative?"

I see room for improvement, but looking for any thoughts out there about the concept--"should it work (if properly done)?"

"What does it take to make an average Judge go WOW for Pork???"
I have my personal guidelines--but still wondering!

Thanks,

TIM

Looks mighty fine to me, got the saliva glands running just looking at it.

Tim
You clean the garnish the day before and it goes in a small cooler wit water and some ice. In the morning before turn-ins start you build the boxes, then cover the garnish with a wet paper towel and goesback in a cooler to stay cool.

You can build 3 rows around the outside of the box leaving a space in the center of center for pulled product, what that does is get the meat to the top of the box with the lettuce framing the meat below the meat, it looks like a picture frame.

rep'n I have seen lots of scores and 7 and 8s are the numbers you see now days very few 9s.

If you look at the overall score you recieved the judges liked your turn-in you only recieved a 6 from two judges and the rest score you on the high end of the score I'm seeing now days. What we don't see is how the final scores out to the 4 decimal place, when you factor that in you could have been less that a point or two away from the top turn-in.

jminion said:
Tim
You clean the garnish the day before and it goes in a small cooler wit water and some ice. In the morning before turn-ins start you build the boxes, then cover the garnish with a wet paper towel and goesback in a cooler to stay cool.

You can build 3 rows around the outside of the box leaving a space in the center of center for pulled product, what that does is get the meat to the top of the box with the lettuce framing the meat below the meat, it looks like a picture frame.

rep'n I have seen lots of scores and 7 and 8s are the numbers you see now days very few 9s.

If you look at the overall score you recieved the judges liked your turn-in you only recieved a 6 from two judges and the rest score you on the high end of the score I'm seeing now days. What we don't see is how the final scores out to the 4 decimal place, when you factor that in you could have been less that a point or two away from the top turn-in.
Jim,
DF used your lettuce process at Plant City last Fall. Worked wonderful!!!!
Really takes the time pressure off of the turn-in window times :lol:

Thanks for the words of encouragement.
I will continue to fine-tune the product appearance--looking for any edge and consistancy.

Thanks.

TIM

Judge # 1 is a Hoser for giving a 2 on ribs. This is the kind of thing that really screws you out of top prises.

spicewine said:
Judge # 1 is a Hoser for giving a 2 on ribs. This is the kind of thing that really screws you out of top prises.
Extreme scores like that need to be thrown out. That is what hosed you. There is no sense in a 9 for appearance and then 2's in taste and tenderness. He must have gotten a bad sample.

Back