Which would you choose?

GreenDrake

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
The BBQ Safe by Pitmaker or the BWS Fatboy?
BBQ-Smoker-Safe-1a.jpg

backwoods_fatboy.jpg

I've read up on the Pitmaker since I first saw one on this board. They are premium made units, as are Backwoods. If I'm not mistaken the PM is a lot more expensive than the BWS. So my first question would be what are your needs?

Are you going to be doing comps, catering, or just backyard weekend warrior? This would give you a starting point on your decision process.

i'd go for the one on the bottom because the one on the top is probably in a million pieces from being run over by that large truck while it was sitting in the middle of the road.

The Pitmaker is growing on me. If I save up for one, it would be for comps and mini comps regionally. I have no aspiration to make it to the Jack or the Royal. I enjoy doing local stuff and having fun, cooking at home, light caters for friends, block parties, etc. The BWS and Pitmaker Safe are comparable in price.

I love their door seal and saw the video where they put two of them inside an enclosed trailer then stacked them out the roof....no smoke inside, what a treat that would be right? Who knows, just having fun evaluating the next toy I want, not need, want. These things are awesome.

I have neither but I do appreciate a pit builder that demonstrates how to use his cooker either thru video or print. I can not understand how they expect us to purchase a cooker that we may never see in person and find no real information on their websites. I regularly check for Youtube videos of Spicewine smokers but never find any. The same for BWS. Now the people at Pitmaker have several videos demonstrating their cookers. At least I can see one in action.

The PM sure is pretty , it could be one of the preetiest smoker I have ever seen. If you have the money I go with the blue.

I have a couple of BWS, but the fit and finish on the PM looks outstanding.

I don't think they are. It appears the BWS he's showing is the "Chubby" which is $917 and the Pitmaker pictured is $2,000. Twigh-ssst the price.

Sorry if that's the wrong pic of the Fatboy, I googled the image.

The Backwoods Fatboy is $2071
The Pitmaker is $1995

I think I have my decision, now to decide on a cart or build my own.

Sorry if that's the wrong pic of the Fatboy, I googled the image.

The Backwoods Fatboy is $2071
The Pitmaker is $1995

I think I have my decision, now to decide on a cart or build my own.

No problem. Both are great units. Can't go wrong.

If capacity, price & performance are comparable, the fact that the Pitmaker is on that cart would push me in that direction - I looked at the website & it looks like it comes that way.

I have cooked on Pitmakers products. They are second to none in quality and performance. They are made like a tank, everything is double wall heavy duty top notch construction. I also personally know the owners and they are fine gentlemen for sure. I have heard many backwoods owners complain how easy they dent even from tie down straps. I have never cooked on one so i can not comment.

I have started my Pitmaker fund. We shall see how long it takes. I am guessing by late spring I will have one on order. Not sure about colors, maybe all black, stainless door and custom Raiders logo on the side.

bought a fatboy this Jan. Had my first walks ever including an rgc this weekend. Don't know if that tips the scales but the BWS is a great machine.

Back