Tri tip first. Few questions.

ClintHTX

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
My wife bought a tri tip from the store its a little less than 2 lbs. I would like to smoke it possibly tonight? Have a few questions...

1. It was in the freezer yesterday and I took it out to thaw last night how should I know that it is thawed out enough to cook?

2. What temperature should I smoke it at?

3. At what temperature should I pull it at?

4. Does it need any kind of resting period or do I just cut right into it?

Thanks guys!

You'll have to give it a squeeze to see if it's thawed out.

I'd do a reverse sear. Smoke at 250ish till internal temp hits 110-115, then toss onto a hot fire to sear the outside. Remove from heat no later than 130, I prefer 125. Then rest it loosely tented for 15 minutes or so before slicing. If you don't rest it, all the juices will end up on the cutting board, instead of staying in the meat.

IMO, the worst thing you can do with a tri tip is try to cook it like a brisket. Med rare at the very most. Even medium is too well done for me on this cut. Remember, the temp will continue to rise during the rest period, so don't make the mistake of cooking it to 135-140, then being disappointed when it's overcooked on slicing.

Speaking of slicing, the grain changes direction in the middle of the meat, so you have to pay attention when cutting. Here is a nice video that explains how to carve a tri tip.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmxHmuV4vTU"]How To Carve A Tri-Tip Roast - TVWB - virtualweberbullet.com - YouTube[/ame]

I have done several of these lately and here is how I do it

smoke at about 250f until IT reaches about 130. does not take long, maybe an hour or so

then sear it on a hot grill for just a few mins per side

cut across the grain (like a brisket) and serve

collect allocades.

I'd do a reverse sear. Smoke at 250ish till internal temp hits 110-115, then toss onto a hot fire to sear the outside. Remove from heat no later than 130, I prefer 125. Then rest it loosely tented for 15 minutes or so before slicing. If you don't rest it, all the juices will end up on the cutting board, instead of staying in the meat.

IMO, the worst thing you can do with a tri tip is try to cook it like a brisket. Med rare at the very most. Even medium is too well done for me on this cut. Remember, the temp will continue to rise during the rest period, so don't make the mistake of cooking it to 135-140, then being disappointed when it's overcooked on slicing.

Speaking of slicing, the grain changes direction in the middle of the meat, so you have to pay attention when cutting. Here is a nice video that explains how to carve a tri tip.

How To Carve A Tri-Tip Roast - TVWB - virtualweberbullet.com - YouTube
:clap2:

At 250F, more like 45 minutes, for that size of tri-tip. It will go from 95F to 120F in a flash. I like to pull at more like 115F to 120F then sear as well. If I had a BGE, that might not be true.

Rest for 15 to 20 minutes. And yes, cut correctly, that is key. You can cook it like a brisket, as long as you cut it across the grain, you will end up with edible meat.

^^^ This is pretty much how I do mine ^^^

Perfect. I thought that the proper carving was a secret thing, as most places do not even sell much Tri-Tip. By the video link, I see I was quite wrong, as usual. BTW, the TT in the video is too well done for my taste.

I do it exactly like this and I do it on a BGE. The reverse sear is a great technique!

Back