MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:44 PM   #16
16Adams
somebody shut me the fark up.

Unfortunately I observe most people get themselves into a rut, and are quite happy with their surroundings. It's "got" to be an offset, it's "got" to be built by this builder, it's "got" to be a barrel, it's "got not" to be a barrel. I've never bought a truck where I ran around immediately and introduced myself to the service department demanding 24-7 access to their shop.

If its what you want, it's worth the wait. If its what you want then its worth a delay in an email or phone call.

If its not worth the wait, it's not what you want.

1 members found this post helpful.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:54 PM   #17
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcj3rd View Post
I think Rich builds a really nice pit but I think he is way overpriced for the market.
I agree! There are a lot of quality pits being built and there is too much competition to ask for "a guy's first born male child" for a BBQ pit build!

Old 06-12-2013, 02:31 PM   #18
markdtn
is one Smokin' Farker

I bought a used Klose and got outstanding service from them. Dana answered the phone and many emails quickly. I can't believe they spent that much time on me for something they weren't making a dime on. If I was buying new, I would definitely call on them.
markdtn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 02:49 PM   #19
Big Dan
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
I just received a custom offset from Pits By JJ. It is extremely well built and cooks great. I have never seen a Gator Pit in person but they were one of the pits I researched before buying. Gator Pits have a great reputation so I have no doubt that they are worth the wait.

However, I can tell you that Pits By JJ built a fantastic offset that I will be able to pass down to my children's children and they answered all my phone calls and answered my emails within one day. The Build quality far surpassed my expectations and they are a bit less expensive than the bigger names out there like Gator Pits and Klose.
I agree. Pits by JJ are a very well built pit, probably better than Gator Pit, and definitely cheaper in price.
Big Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 04:47 PM   #20
tubby384
On the road to being a farker

Rich finally called and has a lead time of 20 weeks. He was very helpful and patient. I will check out other builders, since others have vouched for their integrity. I have other cookers, but I need something larger since my ceramics are limited to amount of food I am able to fit when cooking for others. Thanks for all the replies.
tubby384 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 05:59 PM   #21
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbill View Post
If you haven't already, look into LoneStarGrillz.com. Chris Goodlander is the owner/operator and he or his wife answers the phone personally. Chris came from Gator and he builds a very comparable pit in materials and quality but is also less expensive. Check em' out!
I'm currently having a pit built by Chris at Lone star Grillz and he told me it would be about a 6 week wait. The avatar that I'm using is a picture of the pit that I'm having built which is a vertical offset. This pit comes stock in 1/4 inch steel with a 4000 sq. inch cooking capacity and with up grades that I have ordered it will be around 6000! That is more than most of the trailer pits that I've seen and it has a 2ft x 4 1/2ft footprint! I upgraded with a 1/2 inch firebox, a 30" wide cabinet instead of the stock 24" width and the warmer/oven over the firebox along with gas assist lighter and a charcoal basket. To get all of these options and this amount of capacity from Gator or Klose you will spend at least a grand or two more than I will at LSG for a name but not necessarily better quality. If you visit their website be sure to go to the accessories page and see all of the options and upgrades that are available and Chris also has a lot of good Youtube videos on his products to watch which will show you the quality and craftsmanship that goes into his pits.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:03 PM   #22
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

Maybe this might interest you?

Gator Pit $2,000 near San Francisco

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/for/3865255189.html
A bunch of Webers
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 06:16 PM   #23
armor
is one Smokin' Farker

Can't go wrong with a gator. I have an Entertainer which is the one he sells the most of. It is awesome!

Risk is the price you pay for opportunity.

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!
armor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 08:51 PM   #24
jmoney7269
Banned

I'm in the Pitmaker crowd. I researched all of these pits before I bought my vault and I'm 100% happy with the way my pit performs. I feel that it's the best vertical on the market hands down. If you want a offset, the gators are very high quality and worth the wait. 1/2" steel firebox 1/4 pit is gonna hold heat well The picture doesn't do it much justice, but the pitmaker magnum sniper is absolutely stunning in person. Everyone I know that has one loves it, can cook lots of food and this will be my next pit.
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 09:25 PM   #25
Lockon
Full Fledged Farker

Not to hi-jack this thread, but what are the vertical areas for on some of these pits?
Lockon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 09:32 PM   #26
Gator Pit
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubby384 View Post
Hello fellow smokers. I consider myself a newbie to this forum, but been smoking things for the last 20 years. I know there are many reputable pit builders out there, but I decided on purchasing a pit made by Gator pit. I've emailed twice and called the shop and both times the receptionist took down my name and number and said her boss will call back. Needless to say no return call from them. Is that the normal way that company does business? I do understand my backyard pit I was going to order is small potatoes to them, but at least have the consideration of either email or call me to say so. Anyways, thanks for letting me vent and this is the best forum yet.
Hopefully, we spoke today, as I returned over 50 messages and voice mails, not including emails. Yes, since I personally handle all custom inquiries, it may take sometime for me to return your call or email. General inquiries can be answered, easily, by my Assistant, Angie. My job responsibilities can easily take me out of the office for hours and days with travel out of town or out of the state. With that said, hopefully, we spoke today.

One another note, Lone Star Chris Goodlander, has never worked for Gator Pit. I do not know him, nor don't think I have ever meet him. I address this, because I have read and have heard this before. So, I do not know where this misinformation is coming from and want to advise, that is not the truth or fact.

If we did not speak today, I will be in my office tomorrow morning and then leaving at 2PM to meet an Orthopedic on the elbow I broke yesterday at the shop. Which pretty much sucks. Ritch
Gator Pit is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-12-2013, 09:45 PM   #27
tubby384

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothsmoke View Post
Maybe this might interest you?

Gator Pit $2,000 near San Francisco

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/for/3865255189.html
I wonder how come this is advertised as being in the bay area and in a separate ad it is listed as being in Roseville, CA? Scam maybe?

Old 06-12-2013, 09:56 PM   #28
tubby384

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbill View Post
I'm currently having a pit built by Chris at Lone star Grillz and he told me it would be about a 6 week wait. The avatar that I'm using is a picture of the pit that I'm having built which is a vertical offset. This pit comes stock in 1/4 inch steel with a 4000 sq. inch cooking capacity and with up grades that I have ordered it will be around 6000! That is more than most of the trailer pits that I've seen and it has a 2ft x 4 1/2ft footprint! I upgraded with a 1/2 inch firebox, a 30" wide cabinet instead of the stock 24" width and the warmer/oven over the firebox along with gas assist lighter and a charcoal basket. To get all of these options and this amount of capacity from Gator or Klose you will spend at least a grand or two more than I will at LSG for a name but not necessarily better quality. If you visit their website be sure to go to the accessories page and see all of the options and upgrades that are available and Chris also has a lot of good Youtube videos on his products to watch which will show you the quality and craftsmanship that goes into his pits.
I priced out a 24X48 with a larger vertical box and with all the added upgrades it was only 4500 with 1/2 inch firebox. You think Chris is trying to make a name for himself the kill us with higher prices when he get famous like the others?

Old 06-12-2013, 10:12 PM   #29
GrillsGoneWild
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubby384 View Post
Rich finally called and has a lead time of 20 weeks.
There goes the theory of him being overpriced for the market....

Old 06-12-2013, 10:46 PM   #30
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Pit View Post
Hopefully, we spoke today, as I returned over 50 messages and voice mails, not including emails. Yes, since I personally handle all custom inquiries, it may take sometime for me to return your call or email. General inquiries can be answered, easily, by my Assistant, Angie. My job responsibilities can easily take me out of the office for hours and days with travel out of town or out of the state. With that said, hopefully, we spoke today.

One another note, Lone Star Chris Goodlander, has never worked for Gator Pit. I do not know him, nor don't think I have ever meet him. I address this, because I have read and have heard this before. So, I do not know where this misinformation is coming from and want to advise, that is not the truth or fact.

If we did not speak today, I will be in my office tomorrow morning and then leaving at 2PM to meet an Orthopedic on the elbow I broke yesterday at the shop. Which pretty much sucks. Ritch
Pardon me sir if I've helped to spread any misinformation. I actually read it in a post here on this forum some time ago and it seemed like genuine information. But as rumors or misinformation goes I guess it could have been worse, Chris seems like a pretty good guy and he builds a nice pit.

Last edited by oldbill; 06-12-2013 at 11:11 PM.. Reason: more spelling issues!
oldbill is offline   Reply With Quote