MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:16 PM   #1
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

Default Hard time parting with $$$ for brisket.

I know "everything" is increasing in price. But I'm having a hard time forking over the money it now cost for beef, specifically brisket. I talked with a guy Saturday that said more than likely it is going to get worse. That because of this drought a lot farmers sold off all their cattle creating a shortage. I'm not up to snuff on all that so I guess he's right.

But it sure is nice that our local groceries have recently some ran some dang good sales on pork butts. To the tune of .99/lb. I just wish brisket were a bit lower because I need more "practice" on it than pork butts.

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2013, 01:21 PM   #2
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I can't help but wonder if there isn't some other supply/demand thing going on as well. Like that brisket for BBQ has become all the rage, even out here in California, where it never sold well before. Suddenly, I have been hearing and reading folks out here all talking about you can tell a good BBQ place by it's brisket, I love brisket, brisket is BBQ etc... I notice that chuck and sirloin remain pretty stable in price and availability

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-01-2013, 01:28 PM   #3
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
I can't help but wonder if there isn't some other supply/demand thing going on as well. Like that brisket for BBQ has become all the rage, even out here in California, where it never sold well before. Suddenly, I have been hearing and reading folks out here all talking about you can tell a good BBQ place by it's brisket, I love brisket, brisket is BBQ etc... I notice that chuck and sirloin remain pretty stable in price and availability
In Maryland it has always been expensive ($5/pound is a good price here and I've seen select for $9/pound at regular grocery stores) and we have ZERO BBQ tradition and few places that even sell BBQ. BBQ is all about taking cheap cuts of meat and making them taste good. It doesn't have to be brisket. I'm very happy to cook chuckies and they're less than half the price. They're also easier and very tasty. I love brisket, but I'm not a brisket snob.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-01-2013, 01:41 PM   #4
landarc

Gore, they have to import those briskets from Texas to Maryland. It is well known that steer in the Maryland area have no briskets. Hence the extra cost.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2013, 01:46 PM   #5
Cayman1
is one Smokin' Farker

Thank the elected officials in DC for a lot of this problem, they are the ones that passed the requirement that 30% or so of all corn production must go to produce ethanol. Never mind about food for people or livestock. Di**heads!

I think it is a location thing though, I just paid $3.39 for CAB packers.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:54 PM   #6
Bludawg

I just P/u a Butt and a Brisket this morning. Butts 1.98 lb Brisket 1.97 lb It's good to live in TX however they Kill me on the pig prices. I looked at some ribs 3.00 lb for shiners

Old 04-01-2013, 01:56 PM   #7
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
I just P/u a Butt and a Brisket this morning. Butts 1.98 lb Brisket 1.97 lb It's good to live in TX however they Kill me on the pig prices. I looked at some ribs 3.00 lb for shiners

WOW!

www.doubledsbbq.com
Backwoods Patio Unit

Old 04-01-2013, 01:59 PM   #8
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

It's good too live in TX for brisket. I just bought 2 more at HEB for .98 per lb. Best sale of the year! Even when not on sale it's 2.29 or so everyday somewhere.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:02 PM   #9
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_Crunch View Post
It's good too live in TX for brisket. I just bought 2 more at HEB for .98 per lb. Best sale of the year! Even when not on sale it's 2.29 or so everyday somewhere.
That's how butts are here. It's nothing for them to run sales on butts ranging from .78/lb to .99/lb. Briskets? Not a chance.

www.doubledsbbq.com
Backwoods Patio Unit

Old 04-01-2013, 02:04 PM   #10
Gulf Coast Blue
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
HEB had brisket locally for $0.99/lb. with a $ 20 additional purchase. I bought two (the limit).

Joel
Gulf Coast Blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2013, 02:09 PM   #11
Garrett
Babbling Farker

I just bought a CAB packer from my local SAMs that don't usually Cary them. When I seen the price I snatched it up quickly. $2.89/lb. I was very happy to see it.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:09 PM   #12
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

I can't get the .99 lb brisket sales anymore. Cheapest sale prices I've seen is in the 1.69 range which is still very good. My problem is that I've noticed the fat caps getting bigger and the meat a lot thinner. It's hard to find em with thinner fat caps. When I do find one, I don't mind spending the money on it cause at least I'm paying for more meat than fat.
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2013, 02:12 PM   #13
Gulf Coast Blue
Got Wood.

HEB did have some nice flats for around $2.99/lb with no other purchase limits. The cheaper ones did have a big fat cap.
Gulf Coast Blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2013, 02:12 PM   #14
Cabin Fever
Full Fledged Farker

I haven't cooked a full packer brisket in over 4 years due to their price. I can buy all natural 8-10 pound bone in pork butts all day long at Wegmans for less than $12 each and yet 10-14 pound briskets at Wal-Mart run around $45-$60. I simply can't afford that and the worst part is that Wally World carries the bottom of the barrel as far as quality goes. I couldn't imagine what others are paying for packers that are actually a better grade.
Cabin Fever is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2013, 02:12 PM   #15
Bludawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf Coast Blue View Post
HEB had brisket locally for $0.99/lb. with a $ 20 additional purchase. I bought two (the limit).

Joel
Not mine they never put ANYTHING ON SALE because they have a Monopoly out here in the sticks.