• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Rescuing cast iron skillets

What Hometruckin said! They are begging to be used, once you figure out a cast iron skillet you'll never use that nasty non stick stuff again :wink:
When I was a kid thats all we had. I never remimber having a problem with anything sticking, and your right, I hate all that non-stick crap!

a little cast iron pRon..

100_4284.jpg

100_4286.jpg

100_4287.jpg

Check to see if any are Griswolds or even Wagners. Those may be valuable and need to be seasoned carefully, i.e. not sandblasted, to retain their value.

The fact that they are part of your family cooking tradition makes them even more valuable in my view.

You sure did that the hard way. You could have just put it in the oven on the self-cleaning cycle and reseasoned it. The self-cleaning cycle works well on pizza stones too.

Exactly what I do with mine. Works great.

I never wash mine. Take coarse salt and rub them down to remove any bits of rust or remnants and rinse under cold water NO soap. Wipe with some lard or crisco and heat those babies up. Wipe down again with paper towles, and get to cookin!

^^^this^^^

Congrats on getting heirloom cast iron pans! I love mine, so much you'd have to pry them from my cold dead hands!

If you decide to use Crisco or another solid shortening, it's recommended to melt it before applying it to the CI.
And yeah... do the seasoning outside if you can.

I don't mean to jack your thread, but I have a similar question. I picked up a CI skilled that has the paint/ceramic coating on the outside. I got it real cheap because some of the coating was cracked/chipped off. I tried hitting it with my weed burner and got it red hot, but the coating did not come off. I've also tried a wire wheel on the coating. Any one here got any suggestions for getting that stuff off?

My wife's Grandmas CI skillet. Just rinsed it out coated with oil and put it in tha hot oven for a an hour before we used it. It is Griswold #3. I use it for grilled onions and mushrooms. Smells great when cooking with steaks or burgers. :grin:

DSCN1112_zps8d290a01.jpg

I don't mean to jack your thread, but I have a similar question. I picked up a CI skilled that has the paint/ceramic coating on the outside. I got it real cheap because some of the coating was cracked/chipped off. I tried hitting it with my weed burner and got it red hot, but the coating did not come off. I've also tried a wire wheel on the coating. Any one here got any suggestions for getting that stuff off?

Is it porcelain?
If so, I don't think it will come off nor do you want it to?

It sounds like u have one that has the porcelian coating on the outside i have seen some like that before. As for removing it i dont have a clue. Maybe chip it with a hammer or try a grinder whatever u do be very careful porcelian is sharp as a razor when chiped or broken. I have my doubts that u will ever remove it completely

Check to see if any are Griswolds or even Wagners. Those may be valuable and need to be seasoned carefully, i.e. not sandblasted, to retain their value.

The fact that they are part of your family cooking tradition makes them even more valuable in my view.
Not sure if they all are, but the deep one is a Griswold.

I had my wife's grandmothers cast. They had caked on layers of carbon and it was flaking off.

I got a 5 gallon bucket filled 4/5's with water and put in a can of Lye I got from Ace Hardware. I put in the skillets one at a time. It ate off all the crap. Wearing gloves and eye protection through all my encounters with the Lye water. The Lye will eat up most of the carbon and get you back to the metal. Then you can reseason and use like they were new.

You can use the Lye solution several times. Just make sure you add the Lye to water and not water to Lye.

You can pm me if you want. I have a stubborn skillet in lye water for over a month now....

this man knows what he is talking about ..I have had a skillet down for 30days and i am not worryed

Don't have a camera, other than a cell phone. Is there a way to send a pic via a phone?

If you can upload it to Photobucket, then you can copy the image code and paste that into a post here. I do that from a iPhone with all my pictures here.

Back