MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:37 PM   #16
Foxfire
Full Fledged Farker

No one's mentioned the Brethren YouTube channel Man Cave Meals. John did a whole series of vids on the Akorn which led him to begin the KamadoGuru.com forums.

Akorn playlist:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0C7F987BAE095B92
[COLOR="Blue"]Blue [/COLOR]Weber Performer + Craycort CI • [COLOR="red"]Brick Red[/COLOR] Weber One-Touch Platinum • Weber 26.75 Kettle • Akorn Kamado • ET 732 • Record-crushing [COLOR="Orange"][B]ORANGE[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen • UDS In Progress
Foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2012, 08:39 PM   #17
yakdung
is One Chatty Farker

I own two Akorn's. They were on sale @ $149.00 after the 4th of July.
yakdung is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2012, 08:59 PM   #18
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

If you are looking for a smoker get the WSM. If you want something that can smoke and grill get the akorn.

Personally id get the wsm and a weber kettle.
A bunch of Webers
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2012, 09:15 PM   #19
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

What is your budget? The Big Green Egg is expensive, but there are several options that you should consider as well as the Akorn. The Kamado Joe Classic, which is the same size as the Large Big Green Egg comes with cart, side tables, ash tool, and grill gripper for $799, which is about $300 less than the comparable BGE. You should also look at the Vision Classic that is available through Costco (I believe). It's an excellent ceramic kamado and it rings in a little less than the Kamado Joe.
JMSetzler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2012, 11:25 PM   #20
HogFan
is one Smokin' Farker

What exactly are wanting: a grill, a smoker, a combo grill and smoker?

The UDS is a great smoker so I'm curious what you didn't like about yours that you want improved? If you don't like a UDS, I can't see how you will like a WSM. If you want to grill/smoke on a budget, get a Weber Kettle. If you want to grill/smoke/sear(700F+) on a budget, get the Acorn. You can step up in quality, size, and/or features if you have a bigger budget to work with by going with a ceramic komado.......but I'm unsure you gain functionality.

So what and how are you wanting to cook?
HogFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2012, 12:29 AM   #21
Blutch
Full Fledged Farker

I have a UDS and could never keep the temp consistent. I have a GOSM large vertical propane smoker. Works fine... would like to use lump sometimes. I have a kettle, no problem for grilling. Grilling steaks and pizza on a komado style cooker appeals to me. Looking more and more like the Akorn. Thanks! B
UDS
Blutch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2012, 08:53 AM   #22
Haveuseen1?
Full Fledged Farker

My suggestion which may seem like a real old school way is ......... If you want a really big BGE and you cant afford it at this time, then save your money until you can. It is a crazy idea, but it works.

-Chris
Haveuseen1? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2012, 09:10 AM   #23
plowin-fire
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haveuseen1? View Post
My suggestion which may seem like a real old school way is ......... If you want a really big BGE and you cant afford it at this time, then save your money until you can. It is a crazy idea, but it works.

-Chris

Wow. Someone thinks the same way I do! When I was in the market and looked at the cheaper alternatives, I wasn't impressed. So I saved up and bought the large egg. Now I have never used any of the other brands, so I can't compare. Liked the egg so much I went out and bought an xl egg as well, made tables, bought a stoker, and then adjustable rigs, and it's a never ending process.... But hey. It does what I wanted and haven't had any problems, and I enjoy every bit of it. So to me it was worth the money.

Old 12-23-2012, 11:07 AM   #24
Blutch
Full Fledged Farker

It isn't that I don't have the money. I could buy one today. I just can't justify spending that much on another cooker. Know what I mean?
UDS
Blutch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2012, 06:14 AM   #25
BB-Kuhn
Take a breath!

Akorn. Heck, buy 2 and still save money over a BGE.
BB-Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2012, 06:49 AM   #26
pike51
On the road to being a farker

If you have any skills at all, you could build one out of ceramic flower pots. Here is kind of what it would look like minus the lame "hot plate" in Alton Brown's version. If you google "flower pot smoker" you can find plenty of info.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:37 AM   #27
Bucknbacon
On the road to being a farker

Ya, I'm going with the Akorn also. As stated above it does everything from smoking to pizza. Very happy with it.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:22 AM   #28
alane
Knows what a fatty is.

I own both a WSM and the Akorn. My recommendation would be the WSM; and the reason for me saying that is the control. If you look at the KamadoGuru forums about half the posts are either how to get the fire started without having a huge temperature spike or modifications that are needed in order to keep the temperature down. And some people won't like this, but I also think it makes better Q'.

The Akorn does have some positives like flexibility (high and low cooking capability), convenience (roll it in and out of the garage, hinged cover, and easier setup), and being insulated makes it more suited for a northern climate in the winter.

But if it's summer and it's a cook that critical because I'm doing it for someone else I grab the WSM.
alane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2012, 09:40 AM   #29
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

IMO, the Bubba kegs seem like excellent cookers, but for only 200 dollars less, it just doesn't seem worth it, especially when you can get a kj for the same price (unless you're taking it on the road a lot). If someone can't afford the 1000 for a bge, I wouldn't advise the keg as the alternative. I just feel that the big steel kegs should drop in price by a few hundred for me to seriously start looking at one, especially when the akorn is less than half the price.

Now if it were a few years ago when they were going for a few hundred a pop, that would be different.

Last edited by Trumpstylz; 12-28-2012 at 10:38 AM..
Trumpstylz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2012, 09:49 AM   #30
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alane View Post
I own both a WSM and the Akorn. My recommendation would be the WSM; and the reason for me saying that is the control. If you look at the KamadoGuru forums about half the posts are either how to get the fire started without having a huge temperature spike or modifications that are needed in order to keep the temperature down. And some people won't like this, but I also think it makes better Q'.

The Akorn does have some positives like flexibility (high and low cooking capability), convenience (roll it in and out of the garage, hinged cover, and easier setup), and being insulated makes it more suited for a northern climate in the winter.

But if it's summer and it's a cook that critical because I'm doing it for someone else I grab the WSM.
Very valid point, I got 2 bubba kegs and temp control as in the temps getting too high can be very tricky. Little room for error here. I own a UDS and now a 22 WSM, temp control will be somewhat easier and they have larger grates too. Use up a ton more fuel though.. lol
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote