MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:13 PM   #1
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Default Where/how to get beef ribs with some meat on them??

I usually get my beef ribs from HEB, but am mostly very disappointed with how much (actually how little) meat is on them - just thin slivers and mostly bones after smoking.

I would love to get some nice meaty beef ribs, since I have really taken a shine to them this year. Searching through past threads, it seems that now is the time to scour the markets, since rib roasts may go on sale?

What specific instructions can I give a meat dept person at Costco/Sam's/HEB/Kroger to get some good beef ribs cut? Should I just buy a rib roast and split the difference between cutting some meaty ribs and decent (but not huge ) ribeyes? I would love to get some from an actual butcher but the one place I knew of in Houston (Pete's Fine Meats) is temporarily closed. Another place which gets a lot of press is Revival Meats, but they are a fair trek away from me.

Thanks in advance. I'm tired of being envious of the beautiful beef ribs I see here, and really want some meaty ones for myself!
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2012, 03:37 PM   #2
neuyawk
is one Smokin' Farker

Jeez you can't even get beef rib love in Texas either? Thought it was just the farkers here in NY that were looking to rip me off. I'm pretty sure you're out of luck as the ones usually available for sale for trimmed off the rib eye, and they ain't letting a single bit of profitable rib eye got to waste.

I think I saw whole foods had some back ribs once, not sure how much they're charging as it is WF.

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-03-2012, 03:49 PM   #3
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Just buy a rib roast and cut off the ribeyes for steak, or burgers, whatever...

Then you can cut the ribs as meaty as you want. Out here, which is of no help to you, I go to the fancy grocery store in Berkeley, where everyone wants the bones cut off, there are always great racks there, as the head butcher says she doesn't mind leaving meat on the rack.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2012, 03:49 PM   #4
Triple T BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

RD has pretty darn good beef ribs up here in MN. You might see if there is a location near you. I have them on my specialty menu as "Dino Ribs".

Old 12-03-2012, 03:54 PM   #5
Pioneer Smokehouse
Got rid of the matchlight.

You could also look for a good "carniceria" hispanic butcher shop. I find their prices and quality to be pretty good sometimes.

Old 12-03-2012, 04:09 PM   #6
gtr

Ask for short ribs - chuck or plate - those are the really meaty ones. As for back ribs, it's hit & miss. I got some great ones at Whole Foods once. They were farking pricey but there were very good. Not something I'd do often, but, again, they were very good.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2012, 05:17 PM   #7
landarc

If you have a Halal shop, they often have very good beef at great prices and often, they will cut to order.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2012, 05:49 PM   #8
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuyawk View Post
Jeez you can't even get beef rib love in Texas either? Thought it was just the farkers here in NY that were looking to rip me off. I'm pretty sure you're out of luck as the ones usually available for sale for trimmed off the rib eye, and they ain't letting a single bit of profitable rib eye got to waste.

I think I saw whole foods had some back ribs once, not sure how much they're charging as it is WF.

Can you believe it? One would think all kinds of beefness would be plentiful here, but apparently it doesn't work like pork did in Iowa.
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]

Old 12-03-2012, 05:52 PM   #9
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Just buy a rib roast and cut off the ribeyes for steak, or burgers, whatever...

Then you can cut the ribs as meaty as you want. Out here, which is of no help to you, I go to the fancy grocery store in Berkeley, where everyone wants the bones cut off, there are always great racks there, as the head butcher says she doesn't mind leaving meat on the rack.
I may have to go that route. Any suggestions for stores e.g. Costco/Sam's/Kroger. I guess the warehouse places would be the cheapest. Now I need to find a good tutorial on how to cut them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
If you have a Halal shop, they often have very good beef at great prices and often, they will cut to order.
Why didn't I think of that?? There are many halal butchers around here! I'll ask the guy who I get my goat meat from. Thanks!

Old 12-03-2012, 05:54 PM   #10
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer Smokehouse View Post
You could also look for a good "carniceria" hispanic butcher shop. I find their prices and quality to be pretty good sometimes.
Does the cut have a name in Spanish that I should try and ask for?

Old 12-03-2012, 05:55 PM   #11
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple T BBQ View Post
RD has pretty darn good beef ribs up here in MN. You might see if there is a location near you. I have them on my specialty menu as "Dino Ribs".
Another great tip. I can get a day pass to RD with my KCBS membership. I'll go check it out.

I knew I asked the right folks for help

Old 12-03-2012, 05:56 PM   #12
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
Ask for short ribs - chuck or plate - those are the really meaty ones. As for back ribs, it's hit & miss. I got some great ones at Whole Foods once. They were farking pricey but there were very good. Not something I'd do often, but, again, they were very good.
Will do. I'm not a fan of Whole Paycheck, but I'll swallow my pride if it means great beef ribs.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:26 PM   #13
ManakooraMan
Knows what a fatty is.

What is the long cut short rib called? Here in Hawai'i we usually get da kine kalbi style flanken. They don't take too well to smoking. Could use some guava ribs right about now.
ManakooraMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2012, 07:41 PM   #14
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : D

I get mine at Granzin's meat markethttp://shop.granzinsmeatmarket.com . They tend to the San Antonio rodeo and I think Houston too, kinda out of your way(for me to)but a great meat market worth the trip to get what you want. Prime brisket is what I go for but beef ribs aint bad either.

Sent from my SGH-T999

Old 12-03-2012, 08:27 PM   #15
Texas05
Got rid of the matchlight.

Make sure you are asking for the short ribs vs the back ribs. Lots of times the butcher won't even have the whole slab out on display. Often they are already trimmed and cut into singles in the display case. Ask the butcher for a slab of short ribs and I bet he hooks you up. Just smoked some this weekend. Brisket on a stick!
Texas05 is offline   Reply With Quote