Is hawthorn a bad idea...?

Leopardstripes

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Our 70-something year old pink hawthorn dropped a couple of sizable branches in the last storm- and I'm a waste-not, want-not kinda gal. Back home, we smoked fish with just about any hardwoods around, but most of those were fruit woods, or alder...stuff here isn't quite as easy to be sure of! Does anyone know whether hawthorn wood is poisonous or unpleasant-tasting to smoke with? Just wondering whether to haul out the Saws-All and chunk those bad boys up, or not. Thanks, in advance, for your help, guys! :-D

I know Hawthorne berries, buds, flowers, hips and leaves are edible. I also know that its fine grain and high density makes it burn very hot. I know the would was often substituted in forges when casting pig iron blanks. It also makes beautiful inlays and veneers.
Guess you could set a small dry piece on an open brazier of coals and see if it gave off an unpleasant odor. I don't recollect it smelling bad.
You could place a small pan of water under an overturned No. 10 tin can set to capture some of the smoke and then dip your finger in it for a taste test to see if imparts an unpleasant taste.

Here's a link with information on Hawthorne wood:

http://www.gardenguides.com/462-hawthorne-tree.html

At the bottom of that link, it talks about how hot Hawthorne burns. That might be a consideration for you. It doesn't say anything about the flavor that it produces. I suggest that you try a small test and see how it works for you. Good luck, and keep us informed on how it goes.

Just get rid of it... sorry here's a story...

In Australia, there is an football team called "Hawthorn"

I hate Hawthorn... My best friend hates Hawthorn.

My best friend bought a house and it had a Hawthorn in the back yard.

He thought it looked a bit ugly and asked me what he should do with it.

I told him it was a Hawthorn... his immediate response... "Well, it's got to GO then!":twisted::twisted::twisted:

Sorry, if you lived here, you'd Rofling....

Thanks, fellas- great info! I'll test it out this weekend, if the rain ever stops long enough to chunk it...sorry, Aussie, I just *have* to test this out! :wink:

I have never heard of Hawthorne. Curiousity caused me to look at this post because I have some Hathorn Boots.

Try iy out---go for it
If it doesn't work I can send you some oak

Ah, you're an angel! :becky: I *should* be able to test out, this weekend- DH took it upon himself to thin the tree out yesterday, & the weather is supposed to improve- wish me luck!

Back