practice cooks - some advice needed.

monty3777

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
As things get cold here in Iowa I have started thinking about how to keep up the practice cooks. I am cooking a brisket today and will be foiling the brisket shortly. Then I got to thinking - why not finish in a roaster once the meat is foiled?

Clearly this isn't like a comp - but I thinking the finished product should be close. I mean, if the meat is already being protected from the smoke will it make a big difference in flavors if I use a different heat source?

The point is for me to work on flavor profiles. I realize that this method doesn't help with some of the other issues that are important to a comp cook.

What do you all think? Is this a mistake? Will the final product be different if I put the wrapped meat into a roaster?

I've done pretty much the same thing using the oven once foiled; saves on staying
outside in the cold trying to keep a fire going in the beast... It's very very very close,
from what I've seen.

It can change texture based on mositure content and airflow in the cooker vs. roaster. How much? Don't know but if you really are practicing then you should be giving it the full effort it deserves. Don't be an Alan Iverson.

It can change texture based on mositure content and airflow in the cooker vs. roaster. How much? Don't know but if you really are practicing then you should be giving it the full effort it deserves. Don't be an Alan Iverson.

Good point!

I noticed a lot more liquid in my foiled brisket flats that I had taken off the cooker and finished off in the oven at a party not long ago. They were swimming in their own juices.

Monty's talkin bout practice

The point of texture change is a good one. Maybe for basic flavor profiles it would not matter, maybe it would...

If I'm "practicing" on competition stuff, be it flavor, texture or time I do it all the way through using the equipment I'll be using later.
This is the only way I know to validate all data and be able to make it work consistently.

I say use the oven. Why stand outside to freeze when you can finish in the oven. Once its wrapped You will get the same finish. I finish all meats on the smoker though

I would also make sure you document what you did on the cook. You can practice as much as you want but if you don't remember what you did it's all for not.

Well, I did the brisket last night. I cook hot and fast so after 2.5 hours it was foiled and put in the roaster. Like most of you I've done tons of briskets so I was able to notice if there was any significant difference between a cook with a roaster (after foil) and just keeping the pit going.

The only real difference was the burn ends - but that was a space issue. Everything else turned out pretty good. Of course the best method would be to use the off-set and I have decided not to put it in storage because I really need to use that if I going to be practicing. However, using the roaster after the meat was foiled worked pretty good.

I sold the brisket so it was important that it be done correctly - and the roaster took any of the "if" factor out of the equation. I'd say over all using the smoker/roaster method is something that will be good for testing rubs and flavor profiles. May not be exact but a good start.

BTW, thanks to Ryan for offering to loan me his Stoker. Really cool!!

I'd think the main thing is the temp of the oven. Can your oven go to the temp your cooker would normally cook at? Trying to do a "real" practice in freezing temperatures is impossible. Working on flavors is not. When I'm testing marinades/rubs/sauces I tend to work with small amounts and use a BGE or Primo. I don't cook on these at a contest...

Winter time cooking is different than summer time for me. So the practice for timing does not carry into the warmer temps well for me. keith

Practice are we talking practice I mean its not the game were talking about practice man.

That's A Allen Iverson qoute, just thought I would toss that out there.....lol

Back