Survival of the Competition Newbie

HawgHeaven

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
This comp took place in Mount Holly, NJ on September 11-12... BBQ and Blues in the Park. Needless to say, the weather was lousey! It rained all day Friday and the wind was awful in the morning. All the competitors had to set up in an alternate area, due to soggy ground conditions. Saturday was a bit better, but we still had showers off and on.

As far as the comp itself, I ended up in 8th place overall. Here's the tally:

Pork: 6th
Brisket: 7th
Chicken: 10th
Ribs: 12th

We had a great time, met alot of fine folks, and cooked a bunch of mighty tasty grub. I think the brisket was the best I've ever done! The chicken wasn't my best, I expected a lower score. Not sure what happened with the ribs... they were done perfectly and spot on in taste... I'm still having trouble with my presentations, maybe that's it.

The money shots:

Brisket...
brisket.jpg

Chicken...
chicken.jpg

Ribs...
ribs.jpg

Somehow, I missed a shot of the pork, butt here's my new mascot...
piggie1.jpg

Our camp...
camp1.jpg

camp2.jpg

Our own private bath...
bob.jpg

The "hood"...
neighbor1.jpg

neighbor2.jpg

neighbor3.jpg

neighbor4.jpg

neighbor5.jpg

neighbor6.jpg

neighbor7.jpg

neighbor8.jpg

neighbor9.jpg

neighbor10.jpg

neighbor11.jpg

neighbor12.jpg

neighbor13.jpg

neighbor14.jpg

neighbor15.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Congrats to you. My advice for the next one is not to have such definite brush marks on the chicken and ribs. Now you will be hooked and have to do some more contest.

Looks like you had fun with a good showing.

Those red headers are awesome. Nice photos of the competition.

Looks and sounds like you had a great time!

Thanks for the pics and report.

Keep at it.

TIM

Thanks all!

Yeah, the brush marks need sanded out, and the greenery... well, if it were up to me, there would be none. :rolleyes: Butt, I need to work on it.

Thanks for the pics and congrats on your finish. My advice would be to fill the boxes. Get all the meat you can put in there.
It looks to me like there is only 5 slices of brisket. Did you add another after the pic?

Thanks for the pics and congrats on your finish. My advice would be to fill the boxes. Get all the meat you can put in there.
It looks to me like there is only 5 slices of brisket. Did you add another after the pic?
Thanks! Actually, there were eight slices... it's the angle of the picture that fools ya.

You mentioned you thought your presentation on the ribs might've been why it
wasnt scored well. From what I see, it's actually your best presentation (all things
being said above being true; try to remove those brush lines). There must've
been something else. That, or it could be that there were just some really darned
good rib entries in the competition; happens...

welcome to the wacky world of competition bbq....throw out ur brushes and pack those boxes full of meat, that's the best garnish there is.

welcome to the wacky world of competition bbq....throw out ur brushes and pack those boxes full of meat, that's the best garnish there is.

So, how are you guys applying the sauce/glaze? I thought about using one of those trim sponge roller thingies you find in the paint department at Lowes... or just load up the ol' DeVilbiss spray gun and let 'er rip!

Some dip. For me, that's too much. I brush, but I have VERY fine brushes.

Back