MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:39 AM   #16
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post
When you puncture meat with an injector or temp probe you run the risk of driving surface bacteria deep into the meat. Its actually 41-135 deg f witnin 4 hours but 40-140 is easier to remember. Achieving a 140 IT within 4 hours kills the bacteria. You can check out http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/Cons.../ucm186451.htm section 3-501.19, google meat 40-140 or check out post #2 http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/7...on#post_267261 Im actually surprised nobody has heard of this.
3-501.19 seems to be referring to how long food can be held and still consumable BETWEEN those temps. i didn't see it reference reaching 140* within 4 hours during cooking.

for what it's worth though, i always thought it was 2 hours max between 40-140.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2013, 07:48 AM   #17
NRA4Life
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Remember if you are injecting you must get the meat to 140 within 4 hours.
?!?!?! Some days I wake up feeling like part of my brain was surgically removed without me knowing it...today is one of those days.
[B]Superior SS-3[/B] - Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers
Custom Built Reverse Flow Stickburner
[B]Weber[/B] 22.5" WSM
[B]Weber[/B] 26.75" OTG
[B]Weber[/B] Blue 2000 Stainless Performer
[B]Weber[/B] Red 1998 Stainless Performer
NRA4Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2013, 08:02 AM   #18
NRA4Life
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwillmu50 View Post
I do clean them but lets say I forget to clean well one time. Do you think some bacteria could grow to something nasty and comtaminate?
Yes, if you fail to clean it well, some bacteria probably could grow. To what and what affect it would have on people...I don't know. On the injectors I use soapy water and rinse with clean water, then suck some water with a little bleach into it to sterilize it. Prior to using it again, I rinse it out with some clean water prior to using the injection mixture.
[B]Weber[/B] 22.5" WSM
[B]Weber[/B] 26.75" OTG

Old 05-31-2013, 08:28 AM   #19
DirtyDeedz
Knows what a fatty is.

" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiesnap View Post
Beastie Boys - So What Cha Want - YouTube

Gotta thank you for that...R.I.P. MCA.
DirtyDeedz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2013, 12:36 PM   #20
indianagriller
is one Smokin' Farker

For me it is just as easy to use the disposable needles. I just ordered 100 14g x 1.5 inch needles that after using i recap and throw away. Never have to worry about cleaning a needle just the tube.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:54 PM   #21
njfoses
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRA4Life View Post
?!?!?! Some days I wake up feeling like part of my brain was surgically removed without me knowing it...today is one of those days.
Im sorry you feel that way. The 40-140 in 4 hour rule especially when piercing the meat is something myself and many other people learned early on. It may not be popular belief or even known on this forum but that doesn't mean it should be discredited. I couldn't care less if people follow the rule or not, but why even take the chance?
njfoses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2013, 01:07 PM   #22
yakdung
is One Chatty Farker

Soap and water solution. I own a Spitjack and it is easy is disassemble and clean. I have never heard of the 140 degrees with 4 hours business. Frankly, it has never been an issue.
yakdung is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2013, 07:47 PM   #23
illwillmu50
Found some matches.

Sounds good everyone. Thanks for the advice. I did clean it well this time (for sure, after reading this thread lol) and everything went off without a hitch today at work. I hit the 135-140 pretty easily as I was around 240-250 in the beginning just so I could finish the cook before work. I guess I never noticed how easy that temp is to achieve in the time frame, since I used to not monitor the IT temps until the 2nd leg of the cook.

Turned out well, covered my costs and a tank of gas from donations so I'm set!

Thanks for bringing the 40-140 rule to my attention though- it's odd I haven't seen it yet, but doing a quick search just reminds me of all I still have to learn...

Thanks again!
illwillmu50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2013, 10:07 AM   #24
NRA4Life
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Im sorry you feel that way. The 40-140 in 4 hour rule especially when piercing the meat is something myself and many other people learned early on. It may not be popular belief or even known on this forum but that doesn't mean it should be discredited. I couldn't care less if people follow the rule or not, but why even take the chance?
I'm not buying it. I believe you have a misunderstanding of what you have quoted and it does not apply to how quickly a piece of meat must be cooked once it has been injected. If that is what you want to do, more power to you.
[B]Weber[/B] 22.5" WSM
[B]Weber[/B] 26.75" OTG

Old 06-01-2013, 11:28 AM   #25
njfoses
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRA4Life View Post
I'm not buying it. I believe you have a misunderstanding of what you have quoted and it does not apply to how quickly a piece of meat must be cooked once it has been injected. If that is what you want to do, more power to you.
It's not a misunderstanding but we will just agree to disagree and move on.
njfoses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2013, 01:35 PM   #26
Big Country BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

We just take a cup of hot soapy water and soak up the mixture with the injector till its clean
ROLL TIDE ROLL!
Big Country BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cleanning, syringe