UDS design- Good/No Good???

TheRancheroGuy

Knows what a fatty is.
I found a local builder for a UDS, and I was wondering if some of you pros would look at this and comment. http://thesmokingdrum.yolasite.com/
While I know this is expensive, it looks pretty decent to me. I currently have a Bandara and want something I won't have to babysit as much and that will hold a steady temp.
He is local, he can have it built in 2 weeks. What questions should I have for him? Questions I have are:
1) No second shelf for a water tray
2) Where is the exhaust?
3) What's the source of the barrels?
The builder is probabally a member of this forum (a guess), I just want to make sure this is all I will need. Thanks for any and alls input!
John

If purchasing is your only option at this time, the build looks to be standard. Your questions seem to be reasonable, I might add: type of paint used? and What hardware material was used? You wouldn't want any galvanized materials in the cooking chamber.

Honestly, half the fun is building your own! And it is so simple.

If it is your only option, I guess. But for that price you could find a better cooker at your local Lowes or Home Depot.

Good luck!

The exhaust is the hole that is already in the top. You can barely see it on the near side of the lid. This looks like a decent UDS. I built one for a friend and it was bout 125.00.

Honestly, half the fun is building your own! And it is so simple.

If it is your only option, I guess. But for that price you could find a better cooker at your local Lowes or Home Depot.

Good luck!

I'm curious, I thought the UDS was the way to go?? The Weber is $400, the BGE is even more, what cooker, available at Lowes or Home depot would perform better?
I have tried 2 offsets, 1 Bandera 1 Charbroil, and it's tough to regulate a steady temp, and they were/are wood hogs to boot.
Have I mis-read something all of you pro UDS chefs have said? I thought it was a GREAT, EASY, way to smoke.
What can I do with the Weber that I can't do with this?

Not to hijack, but ill sell you an already seasoned in great condition UDS for 100.00. Im in CA though. I have two drums and i dont use my backup. Just a thought.

I dont see anything wrong with buying one for 250.00. Its no different than buying a stumps for 2000.00. When you consider time, abilities, and material its a close call. Ill be making my own stumps shortly, because i have the time and ability. I also made two of my own drums because i had the time, ability, and a company that sells brand new 55 gallon drums locally. Best part is, i hacked it up the way i wanted by adding a rotisserie, custom racks, weber lid, and the list goes on. If you think 250 is worth it, pull the trigger. It sure beats the BDS pricing.
kris

I'm curious, I thought the UDS was the way to go?? The Weber is $400, the BGE is even more, what cooker, available at Lowes or Home depot would perform better?
I have tried 2 offsets, 1 Bandera 1 Charbroil, and it's tough to regulate a steady temp, and they were/are wood hogs to boot.
Have I mis-read something all of you pro UDS chefs have said? I thought it was a GREAT, EASY, way to smoke.
What can I do with the Weber that I can't do with this?
For the price he's asking, I would go with a WSM... I don't think that the 18" is going to be much more than $250...

I think the price is a bit high BUT he has to make a profit. Quality and everything is there though. The thermometer is a $16.00 one from Wally World but they do the job. So if you don't have the time or ability go for it as long as there are no shipping charges added.

I built mine for 65.00....that being said, I would ask if it comes with a cooking grate (for 250.00 i think it should). I didnt see that listed on his site. IMHO if you like it and want to buy it, buy it and enjoy. Good Luck !!!

Absolutely, the drum is the way to go. I'm the biggest drum fan around, but the idea of spending $250 for one is hard to take in my opinion.

I bet there's someone here not too far from you who would be happy to give/sell their drum or help you make your own. I bet you could find someone to build you a drum for the cost of materials (they are so easy to build).

If you need to have something now, I think the best store-bought smoker for less than $300, would be an 18" WSM.

I don't think $250 is a bad price at all.

I spend about $200 building mine with a new drum, new grates, all stainless steel hardware, and a Weber lid.

I'm in the process of building one and it seems to have gotten more expensive than I intended as I learned about the different ways to make it and some kick-butt add ons.

if you think its worth it and you're not a doit yourselfer then make decision based on the posts. At the end of the day you'll have to learn the cooker and just like any other musical instrument, will take time. The important thing is that you get your new toy right away so you can start lusting after the next new toy......

I want to extend a huge thanks for everyone with their advice, and especially a local brethern who offered a FREE 55 gal drum. Thanks, you know who you are, please stand up and take a bow!
$35.00 - 22" Weber grill (complete) pick up tonight
$92.00 - expanded metal, grill rack (2nd shelf), fittings, ball valve, $38.00 step bit
$25.00 - guess at how much extra to put handles, nuts, bolts, washers, etc. (high estimate)
$150.00 or so total for what should be a BETTER UDS than the link at the beginning of this thread
Sooo, thanks to all that replied.

Way to go rancheroguy! the way you gotta look at it is" what's the worst thing that could happen." so, maybe you'll have to find another drum. good luck.

Back