MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:36 PM   #1
gmfire21
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Smoke on the Water - North Alabama

Hey Everyone, i have an 1st year event i need to post.
October 13, 2012 - Smoke on the Water - in Guntersville, Alabama.

my volunteer fire department is hosting our 1 annual bbq competition.
we will host the event at Civitan Park along side Lake Guntersville.
this is a 1 day event, a back yard type competition. we are only having 2 catergories : pork ribs (no country style) and chicken.
team entry fee is $100 per 12'x12' spot. team must provide their grill / smoker, meats, and any other items they may need to compete.
meat cannot be pre-cooked or flavored before meat inspection on the day of event.

Also having a Kids Q section. hamburgers - 80/20 only.
$25 entry fee per kids team.

$2700 cash in payouts

for more info or for vendor/sponsor opportunities, just email us [email protected]

thanks , Brandon Brown - Georgia Mtn VFD
gmfire21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2012, 11:19 AM   #2
gmfire21

anyone have any suggestions or input on advertising in media early for teams . vendors? what works the best

Old 06-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #3
Jaybo77
Knows what a fatty is.

$$$$$$$$$$$
Jaybo77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2012, 04:42 PM   #4
gmfire21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybo77 View Post
$$$$$$$$$$$
this is true. thanks . haha

Old 06-07-2012, 04:43 PM   #5
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

Congrats on your event! We need more of these backyard shows.

I wouldn't spend too much time or money on advertising beyond your local media - your prize money isn't enough to pull cooks from more than a county away.
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2012, 07:01 PM   #6
gmfire21

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivilWarBBQ View Post
Congrats on your event! We need more of these backyard shows.

I wouldn't spend too much time or money on advertising beyond your local media - your prize money isn't enough to pull cooks from more than a county away.
thats what i was thinking. since it is our 1st year, we are trying to start small. i only have room for 50 teams in adult and about 30 teams in the kids q. payout breakdown is as follows.

ribs 1st = 500 2nd =300 3rd = 200
chicken 1st = 500 2nd =300 3rd =200
kids q 1st = 100 2nd = 75 3rd = 50
Grand Champion (riibs / chicken) is 500.

i would love to give more prize $, maybe next year if were successfull this year we can. thanks for the input, lord knows i will take all the input i can get .

Old 06-07-2012, 08:23 PM   #7
Jaybo77
Knows what a fatty is.

Have u posted it on the Alabama BBQ trail. We do a lot of the comps on this trail. There several on the trail around u.
Jaybo77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2012, 09:17 PM   #8
stevenw106
Knows what a fatty is.

Would this be good one for first timer usimg udss gona have to put green in turn in box this is not but about hour from house keep info coming

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-08-2012, 09:58 AM   #9
Pigs on Fire
Full Fledged Farker

Brandon,

Thanks for putting this together. You've gotten some good advice from CivilWarBBQ. I might add for you to try to get a simple web site made up, describing the event, date, etc. For goodness sake, please don't use a dark blue or lime green background with bright red or yellow text.

Then you can setup a Facebook page, link to the website and also post on your's and the Event's Facebook page with a link to the website. Hopefully people will share it or talk about it and cross-post and link to it at other forums.

You might get Channel 19/31/48 to mention it during their "local happenings" in their newscast. I think this might only occur on Saturday mornings, but I'm not sure. I know Robert Reeves from WHNT is a Judge at the Jack and might take an interest in doing some extra promotion for it.

Now, allow me to step up onto my soapbox:

I mistakenly chose to do a "little backyard type competition" in Fort Payne last September. I used to live there and we still have a residence there. It was a neat deal where it could be just me and my 12 yo daughter there cooking. As I'm sure you aware in these smaller towns, there's generally a group of folks that "run things". No different in this severely UN-organized competition, SSDD.

There appeared to be somewhat of some minor organization as far as rules, but turn-in times were "around 2:30 pm"... Meaning the person who was in charge of judging walked around and basically said "go ahead and turn in your ribs". There was no clock, no 3rd party to accept boxes, no turn-in window, etc.

Chicken was strictly 1/2 a chicken and I'm not sure if they specified a maximum number of ribs, but I believe the minimum number was 6. I put 8 in the box to somewhat fill it up.

At the end, there were no scoresheets handed out nor was there a single scoresheet with the complete tally. They stood in the middle of the circle of teams, called 3rd, 2nd, 1st in Chicken and Ribs, handed the scoring tally sheet (handwritten) to someone and walked off. The teams had to stand there and look at all the cumulative scores and then figure out the placing in each category.

No halfway formal stage presentation, etc. There was a significant crowd from "the public" standing around the circle....meaning there was an "audience" that was there to see the awards.

There's no sour grapes here but it was very disappointing to see 2-3 teams that run with the "in" crowd in Fort Payne take home all of the money.

What I'm saying...don't let the jackhole local politicians and their cronies get in it and select the winners before Friday morning. If you don't have a game plan together for scoring, producing score sheets (to give to the teams) and a halfway decent awards ceremony planned, do so. Feel free to PM me and I will be glad to give advice.

I might even try to do this. I'd love to have my daughter to the chicken and ribs on her own with me just there to get stuff set up. Unfortunately, it is the same date as a KCBS competition here in the Atlanta area...
Pigs on Fire is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-09-2012, 09:00 AM   #10
mike101prf
Got Wood.

Does the Alabama BBQ trail website still exist? Everytime I try to pull it up I get nothing

Old 06-10-2012, 07:58 PM   #11
gmfire21

yeah i cant pull up alabama bbq trail either. we do have the event listed on facebook. it on
Friends of georgia mountain vol. fire/rescue page, or you can find it from my facebook page. (brandon brown) .

as far as locals running the event. well that would be me. i already have about 10 judges, looking for several more. we will have score sheets and make formal winner announcements on the stage before the free concert. right now we are accepting teams, but my question is, are we starting too early for an october event?

Last edited by gmfire21; 06-10-2012 at 11:48 PM..

Old 06-10-2012, 07:59 PM   #12
gmfire21

also i already have 9 teams entered. i only have room for 50 adult teams and 30 kids q teams. thats kinda why i wanted to start so early. input please

Old 06-11-2012, 12:34 AM   #13
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

It's never too early to start a BBQ competition - about 14 months out is a good mark if you plan on recruiting sponsors. Advertising is a different story. Start your word of mouth and free Internet stuff 3 months in advance to give teams a chance to get you on their schedule, then at about the 3-4 week mark hit your public promotions hard, using your local news and papering the town with flyers.
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2012, 09:59 AM   #14
gmfire21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivilWarBBQ View Post
It's never too early to start a BBQ competition - about 14 months out is a good mark if you plan on recruiting sponsors. Advertising is a different story. Start your word of mouth and free Internet stuff 3 months in advance to give teams a chance to get you on their schedule, then at about the 3-4 week mark hit your public promotions hard, using your local news and papering the town with flyers.
will do. thanks for the input

http://www.facebook.com/groups/336727000250/

Last edited by gmfire21; 06-12-2012 at 11:09 AM.. Reason: facebook page with event info

Old 06-19-2012, 08:19 AM   #15
gmfire21

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenw106 View Post
Would this be good one for first timer usimg udss gona have to put green in turn in box this is not but about hour from house keep info coming

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
will do steven. things are looking good