MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:25 PM   #1
plakers
Full Fledged Farker

Default Lamb butcher advice needed

I'm on the hook to buy a lamb. An Oregon grass fed lamb. Should get a call in about a week for my preferences on the cut and wrap. Asking the brethren for advice.

This'll be the fourth time I bought a whole lamb. Two of the times were CL specials where the buyer had fell through so the lamb was already butchered.

So I could use some advice on what to do when the butcher calls.
The hanging weight will probably be about 60 lbs(maybe 80)

I'm thinking I would like at least a shoulder primal cut, sans shank, for a big smoke.
I don't want a crown roast as the chops are dear and really must last for a couple cooks. Can I ask for them 2-3 bones thick?

I did a reverse sear on a boned leg roast, laid flat, that was awesome. It gave a great variety of well-done to rare slices. Ive seen leg steaks at the grocery store, 14 bucks a pound, that were a cross section cut with the bone in. Any idea how many of these I might get?

The shanks are great, I got that. Also I like the ground over stew meat, sor far but use them both.

Any good ideas from anyone with good experiences?

Old 12-04-2013, 06:57 AM   #2
fantomlord
is One Chatty Farker

I just went through this about a month ago. I had them keep both shoulders whole after seeing this:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=174348

Other than that, I pretty much had them leave the legs whole, bone in, and had them save all the bones and neck roasts for me. A good butcher should ask you enough questions to guide you through your cut order, and help you get what you want.

Here's my thread...maybe some help for you there:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=174252

Old 12-04-2013, 09:18 PM   #3
plakers
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks Matt. I remember the shoulder cook by our AussieTitch and that's why I want one of them left whole.

I haven't heard about a bone in breast cut(aka brisket?) but will ask. Fact is, for all the lamb that grow in the Willamette Valley, the butchers don't seem to be that experienced outside of chops, stew meat and ground. Shoulder chops are not the family favorite.

Ive really liked the ribs, they are sparse but wonderful in taste. The boned out legs make great groceries but they tend not to be too pretty, hacked being a better word for what gets done. Definitely going bone-in this time.

I bought some shanks, on sale, for 5.99/lb and after enjoying them decided it was time to buy another whole lamb. Im still leaning towards some leg steaks IF the butcher seems willing.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:29 PM   #4
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

This is a great problem to have. I'm staying tuned to this channel since I've been thinking about getting lamb for some time myself.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote