MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 11-13-2005, 08:47 PM   #1
MilitantSquatter

Default Sat vs. Sun. Turn in Days - Pros & Cons

As a split thread from my rookie question thread...

I'm surprised to hear that most contests have turn in's on Sat as opposed to Sunday.. To me, it would seem like a no-brainer for most to have turn ins on Sunday. I never noticed when reading the KC Bullsheet as most just list the dates instead of days and I had no reason to check a calendar.

This allows more travel time with less people to need to take a vacation or sick day(s) if you show up as early as Thursday and allows more fans/guests to show up for support or to buy things from vendors.

What's the history behind this ? Just curious
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2005, 08:54 PM   #2
wsm
Full Fledged Farker

A contest is a THREE day event for the cooks - maybe even 4 days - most travel on Thursday after work or on Friday, taking Friday off - they setup/cook Friday, Turnin on Saturday and Travel on Sunday. If the contest had a Sunday turnin, then most would take Monday off.

My understanding is that most prefer to take Friday off, so usually turnins are on Saturday.

Hope that answers your question

KCBS CBJ
WSM slightly modded, Weber Performer, Smokey Joe Gold, Whatever is handy
wsm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2005, 09:25 PM   #3
BrooklynQ
Banned

I just thought that it was a religious thing. Since BBQ started in the bible belt, I alway assumed that the cooks wanted to be home on Sunday.
BrooklynQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2005, 10:34 PM   #4
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

I never did go to church on Sunday after a contest! I was likely to sleep until 11am or noon to make up for no sleep on Friday night and the stress and work!

Around KC, it seems there are enough contests in the area within a two hour drive that most people just take off Friday. I haven't heard of much Thursday travel except for the folks coming long distances.

As for sticking around until Sunday, outside of the Royal, I don't see it being done much. Most folks I know like to start packing up the minute the final turn-in goes to the judging area so that once the awards are over, they can get the hell outta there and head home for a good non-BBQ meal, a hot shower and a comfortable bed!
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2005, 12:04 AM   #5
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Vinny,

I think most of the New England events that you and I will cook in are Sunday turn-ins. Usually for the Sunday turn-in contests they open the cooks area at 7:00 am for setup on Saturday morning. Last year we got there at 7:00AM on the nose on Saturday because we wanted to get our meat inspected ASAP so we could marinate for as long as we could before things went on the smoker at 9:00 PM Saturday evening.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2005, 08:00 PM   #6
MilitantSquatter

Thanks Sawdustguy....
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2011, 10:04 PM   #7
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

I go to church on SUndays......
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2011, 10:42 PM   #8
Red Valley BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Sean

I despise Sunday turn ins. After staying up all night Saturday night to cook, getting through turn ins, breaking down camp, going to the awards, and then driving home (closest comp to me is 2 1/2 hours)...AND THEN going to work Monday morning....no thanks. After only a few quick cat naps during a 36 hour stretch, I need a day to recover, and that day would be Sunday. I took a pass on two comps this year because they are a Saturday-Sunday cooks.

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-26-2011, 11:25 PM   #9
swamprb

Us PNWBA heathens have Sunday turn ins.

When I worked the graveyard shift, I usually ended up taking Sunday nights off (Monday)
and when I did pull a marathon cook and went in for work, let me just say that my productivity level was .....low.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2011, 01:04 AM   #10
INmitch
is one Smokin' Farker

Give me Saturday turnin's all year!! I ussually put my drink on after pork....unless my wifey gets on my a$$ cause I'm shakin to much. (and of course I ALWAYS listen to her) I would much rather get home on Sunday n clean up the rv n smoker and reeelaaxxx.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:17 AM   #11
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
I go to church on SUndays......

To celebrate The Resurrection, no doubt

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2011, 07:30 AM   #12
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Most of the larger cookoffs around here are in with an otherwise fairly large crowd drawing event, of which the cookoff is one piece. Crowd gathering events tend to be on Saturday's. This, and what WSM/Rich said. Sunday would most likely be a smaller cookoff with only local teams. That, and we like to spend the night in the RV after cookoffs and leave early Sunday morning...
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote