MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:57 PM   #1
Beef
Full Fledged Farker

Default Stuffed my first bung tonight

Ok, so actually I had problems with the size of the bung hole, so I improvised and slit it open and cloaked my moneymuscle. Wait . . . that sounded bad.

I was inspired to make cappicola or gabagoul. I cut and trimmed the money muscle from two pork butts. I used Cure #2 rather than just straight salt, and dried and re-salted for 3 days. Then rinsed with vinegar and then red wine. One I rolled in 50/50 mix of paprika and cayene, the other I rolled in equal paprika/cayene/ground corriander/black pepper (I was just winging it at that point).

I bought the larges Bung (beef middle) that my wisconsin butcher had, and to my horror, it was not close to fitting, so I decided to slit it and cloak the piece like you would bacon.

It actually stuck really well! and the small overlaps stuck well, also. I was about to bust out my sewing machine to sew them together and I thought that might be a bit over the top so away I went.

My kids made off with my butcher twine so Zipties were employed. I put the netting over my hand and forearm, and my wife and I pulled the netting up and over without displacing the casing. Whew

Here is the final product.

So an italian on the internet said to age them for 8 weeks or so between 40 and 50 degrees. That may work here in Wisconsin for a few weeks, but what do I do as the temps increase? I have them hanging in a 45 degree garage, currently.

I had not intended to smoke them, but If one had to, what would you recommend? I trust that smoking would simply speed up the drying process of the already cured meat.

Thanks for any feedback. fingers crossed that botulism doesn't strike.
Imperial Kamado #3
Numerous Weber Kettles, daisies and one touches
Seville Cart by Woodard for my pre-79 Kettle
Indoors cooking hearth with crane
Large heavy duty open grill for dutch ovens, etc.
Beef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2014, 04:44 AM   #2
MisterChrister
Quintessential Chatty Farker

If you die from botulism, can I have the Seville? Looks like a good plan!

Old 04-07-2014, 08:25 AM   #3
Beef
Full Fledged Farker

I will duly make not of that.
Imperial Kamado #3

Old 04-07-2014, 08:38 AM   #4
sknabnoj
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

You can make a curing chamber out of an old fridge, humidifier and temp controller. I actually have some instructions on how to do it and what to buy on my blog. I've used it quite a lot and it works very well!

Old 04-07-2014, 08:49 AM   #5
oifmarine2003
Babbling Farker

Nice! I have my first coppa curing in the fridge right now before she goes into the drying chamber. Shagdog has a Lonzino about ready to go in as well.

I think you are going to need a dry curing chamber with your weather. We just built one and it was pretty easy. I think it was around $150 for all the stuff.

Last edited by oifmarine2003; 04-07-2014 at 09:11 AM..
oifmarine2003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2014, 08:53 AM   #6
scp
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Barry

I just did one. Cured in salt(3%), various spices and #2(.25%) for 3 weeks..prolly only needed 14 days though. Rinsed in wine, rubbed, bunged, and hung in my basement for 3.5 weeks. ( 55 degree 70 percent humidity)

Came out awesome.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:05 PM   #7
Beef
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks everyone for your input. My basement is hovering around 50 so things are going well. My humidity was only 50, so I am using cardboard box with a water dish and a hygrometer to boost it to 70% . so far so good.

I just found a non-functioning wine fridge for $30 on craigslist that I am hoping am hoping I can repair and use as a aging chamber. 15 inches wide, 25 inches deep and 30 inches tall. Now just hope I can get it running . . .

if not, it will be cheap entertainment for a few days to putter with.
Imperial Kamado #3

Old 04-10-2014, 10:00 PM   #8
robbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Just wondering, if this stuff is so picky about temperature and humidity, how were cured meats made before refrigeration?
LBGE, WSM 18.5, Smokin-It Model #1, Napoleon Prestige Gas Grill, MHP Grill, [COLOR="purple"]Purple[/COLOR] and [COLOR="red"]Red[/COLOR] Thermapens
robbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2014, 10:49 PM   #9
Beef
Full Fledged Farker

If it dries too fast, the outside gets hard as a rock, and locks all the moisture inside, and can result in spoilage, I have read. I am not fretting, just want the best product I can with no frills, at this point. I also want to keep mice, moths, and spiders away, so I am looking to re-purpose a wine fridge.

Back in the day, they ate it no matter what. I want to ensure quality.
Imperial Kamado #3

Last edited by Beef; 04-10-2014 at 10:49 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-11-2014, 05:11 AM   #10
cholloway
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Colin

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbq View Post
Just wondering, if this stuff is so picky about temperature and humidity, how were cured meats made before refrigeration?
They probably used natural environments such as caves or went underground as a "root" cellar.
Char-Broil 450 (Purchased new in 1981)
1996 Blue Weber SS Performer
Weber charcoal Go-Anywhere
2 Weber SJSs & modified stock pot Mini-WSM
Weber rotisserie, Rib-O-Lator & Smokenator system
Blackstone Tailgater Combo & STOK Island gasser
cholloway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2014, 03:05 PM   #11
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Dude...TMI. Some things are meant to be kept private.

Nice meat though.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote