oifmarine2003

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I recently made a mobile smoker / smokehouse. It stands 6' tall and is on wheels so it is very mobile. I broke it out for the first time last week for Thanksgiving and it worked awesome. That smoked turkey was a major hit!

Attachments

• photo (1).jpg
    photo (1).jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 472
Please tell and show me more as I am very interested.
What is generating the smoke etc,hot or Cold smoke, blah blah.
cheers.
Titch

Since he smoked his Turkey in it, I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's a hot smoker. You did a dang good job on it. I would assume it's insulated as well? Similar style to mine, but your's sure is a lot prettier!

It is heated with a burner off my old turkey fryer and propane. Here is a picture of the Thanksgiving turkey and some other shot of the smoker. I have more pictures but I have to find the cord to hook my camera up to the computer.

The smoker itself is built on top of a frame made up of 2" steel tubing with large castors. It rolls very easily. I will write more when I put the other pictures up.

Attachments

• photo (4).jpg
    photo (4).jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 464
  • IMG_0383 (1).jpg
    IMG_0383 (1).jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 461
  • photo (3).jpg
    photo (3).jpg
    61 KB · Views: 463
It is not insulated. It is framed out with 2x3 and then covered with 1x8 car siding. It holds the temperature very steady. I also plan on cold smoking with it by piping in the smoke from a fire box through the vent I have in the floor. I have not tried it yet though.

That thing is beautiful, and the turkey looks fantastic. What a great job! :thumb:

I will try and get pictures up from my camera this weekend. The few pictures I posted were off my phone. My camera takes an odd size USB and I can't find it anywhere! I have to buy another one this weekend. I will get them up ASAP. I also plan on doing another turkey and some deer snack sticks Sunday if I have time.

Very cool, nice build!
What temp did you do the turkey at?
I'm curious how hot you can get a wood smoker before the smoker starts smoking itself. Did you treat the wood with anything?

I only treated the outside. You DO NOT want to treat the inside.

I smoked the turkey at 190 for the majority of the time but bumped it up the last couple of hours to 205 and then 220 for the last hour. There is no problem with the smoker itself getting too hot. When I finally get the rest of the pictures up, you will be able to see I put a vent on both the roof and the floor. The outside of the smoker is barely warm to touch after smoking for over 9 hours! I burn the wood in stainless steel hotel pans. I also use stainless steel hotel pans for the water / drip pan.

It took my about 2 weeks to build b/c I have 2 boys, ages 3 and 2 and I couldn't work on it until they went to bed at 9. If I had more free time, I easily could have built it in 3-4 days.

As far as plans, I kind of made some basic ones but my plan changed as I was building it so I don't really have any. I will post some more pictures and give some basic dimensions. I based the size on the steel frame I got at work. I also looked online for a couple of months at some other ones people had done and took things I liked from the different ones and molded it into this one. This really is an easy build. All you need are some basic carpentry skills and you can do this no problem.

Back