MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:28 AM   #1
KingRanch450
is One Chatty Farker

Default Insulated firebox on offset stick burners?

While watching the season finale of Pitmasters last night, I started wondering if there are any of the popular offset stick burners that have insulated firebox's other than Jambo.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:46 AM   #2
hcj3rd
On the road to being a farker

Pitmaker Magnum Sniper offset has an insulated firebox. You can upgrade the Pitmaker Long Rifle to an insulated firebox.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:00 PM   #3
GMDGeek
is one Smokin' Farker

R&O Pits as well are insulated.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:03 PM   #4
CtTradArcher
On the road to being a farker

Is an insulated firebox really that much more efficient than uninsulated? I admit I can be a bit simple minded at times, but I just can't imagine it makes a considerable difference.
I can understand an insulated cooking chamber where you are trying to reach and maintain temps.
To me, it seems the heat is leaving the firebox at a rate determined by the dampers and would only be marginally effected by outside temps.

Large UDS, Small UDS, CG Akorn, NB Bandera, NB Black Diamond, Home Built Offset, Vision Classic Kamado, Green Mountain Daniel Boone, Weber Gasser, Smokey Mountain Cabinet, and several Weber kettles of various sizes.
CtTradArcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2013, 01:11 PM   #5
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : DHQ

Does make a difference in Rainy or cold weather.. also cooks more efficiently than a Regular FB offset..

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148660[/URL]

250 Gallon Offset Build (2012)

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211078[/URL]

600 Gallon Offset Build (2016)
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2013, 01:37 PM   #6
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtTradArcher View Post
Is an insulated firebox really that much more efficient than uninsulated? I admit I can be a bit simple minded at times, but I just can't imagine it makes a considerable difference.
I can understand an insulated cooking chamber where you are trying to reach and maintain temps.
To me, it seems the heat is leaving the firebox at a rate determined by the dampers and would only be marginally effected by outside temps.
Yes, it makes a difference. The k-value (measure of thermal conductivity) of mineral wool is 0.04 W/(m.K) and the k-value of steel is 43 W/(m.K).

Going from a 1/4" to a 1/2" firebox provides a negligible insulation difference.
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2013, 01:43 PM   #7
DriverWild
is one Smokin' Farker

In an offset you lose a lot of your heat through the top of the box since heat rises. If it's insulated the heat will need to route through the chimney. This equates to a smaller fire and less fuel.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:49 PM   #8
BigDW
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : BigDW

Coming from a COS I noticed a huge difference in the efficiency of my fire when I made the jump to an insulated firebox. That being said, a lot of it probably had to do with the number of leaks as well but just watching my old one you could literally see the heat coming off of the firebox rather than going into the chamber. That is not the case with an insulated firebox, especially in less than great weather.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:51 PM   #9
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

Meadow Creek is doing that now
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2013, 01:52 PM   #10
NoSwineLeftBehind
Knows what a fatty is.

Our Peoria Cookers "Meat Monster" has an insulated firebox. (actually, the whole thing is insulated) A little fuel goes a long way!

NoSwineLeftBehind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2013, 05:21 PM   #11
MilitantSquatter

I have an insulated vertical only offset on order being made by Lonestar...

I went with the insulated firebox ... (2) 1/4" plates w/ insulation in the middle.

You lose the ability to have a grill top firebox though...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg insulation.jpg (32.1 KB, 337 views)
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2013, 05:26 PM   #12
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Huge difference! Your temp/air & draft control becomes much more predictable and fuel consumption goes way down. Wish I had and some day probably will insipulate my firebox.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtTradArcher View Post

Old 08-27-2013, 05:55 PM   #13
ChiefBrock
Knows what a fatty is.

yep...my next will be a Meadow Creek reverse flow....likely the 120. :) with insulated firebox for sure.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:34 PM   #14
Muscrat
is one Smokin' Farker

The smokers I built have had insulated boxes. I borrowed a cooker for a comp after I sold mine and the box wasn't insulated. I vowed at that time to NEVER own another cooker without an insulated box. I was used to mine and we fought that think all day and night. I built another rig and the temp control on it is almost like a uds, just add a split once an hour and it doesn't move. I'm fixing to build a backyard model with an insulated box an am curious how little wood it will use.
Muscrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2013, 08:35 PM   #15
Bigbrett
Knows what a fatty is.

What do you use for insulation? Building another stick burner and want to insulate the fire box.