MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:21 AM   #9706
17mbpro
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willbird View Post
I just used soft steel wire (probably electric fence wire) and twisted it with safety wire pliers, but you could just as readily twist it with the small vice grips probably, just loop it around, cross the wires, clamp at the cross point, and twist until it is tight.

I just happen to have a set of safety wire pliers leftover from sprint car racing adventures, if you do not I bet the needle nose vicegrips would work fine, the key thing is to grab the wire and keep hold til all twisting is done.

Here is what it looks like twisted

Harbor Freight shows a set of the safety wire pliers for like $12 bucks.

They call them.................(I did not link thinking that is verboten, just go to HF and search them)

9" Safety Wire Twister

They work like a yankee screwdriver in reverse sort of :-).

Bill
Thank you for the tip....I'll be heading to HD today to pick some up. Do you think rebar wire would work too, or is that to stiff?
17mbpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2012, 11:01 AM   #9707
Soulcoffr
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Worth View Post
I have used hog rings on all my baskets so far. You can pick up hog ring pliers at Harbor Freight for less than $10. I use metal valve stems for the thermometer hole.
I used rebar ties to attach mine. Got them good and tight with a power drill and a screw-in hook in the chuck.

Sent from my iPhone using My Fingers.
Soulcoffr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2012, 01:40 PM   #9708
FiremanD
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

I'm having a problem with mine. I fired it up and had the temps steadied at around 240 for 2 hours with one intake open about 3/4 of the way. the temp started rising and got to 260. I shut the intakes completely and it is still slowly rising. I don't know why. I am using a uniflame wallyworld lid that fits pretty good. intakes are 3 3/4 2 capped 1 valve.
FiremanD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2012, 04:23 PM   #9709
willbird
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17mbpro View Post
The valve stems are a good idea. Do you need need to pliers or could I use some snub nosed pliers (which I have.)
I have burned the rubber from them when I was meting lead wheel weights that had valve stems mixed in, a good hot fire will burn all the rubber away. I bet a small pile of briq with a few valvestems in it would net nice clean rubber free valvestems and a stink that would clear the neighborhood :-).

On the wire twist pliers, even the soft electric fence wire is just about outside their ability....I have no experience with rebar wire so cannot say.

Bill
willbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2012, 04:45 PM   #9710
Soulcoffr
Got Wood.

Quote:
I have burned the rubber from them when I was meting lead wheel weights that had valve stems mixed in, a good hot fire will burn all the rubber away. I bet a small pile of briq with a few valvestems in it would net nice clean rubber free valvestems and a stink that would clear the neighborhood :-).

On the wire twist pliers, even the soft electric fence wire is just about outside their ability....I have no experience with rebar wire so cannot say.

Bill
I used the precut rebar wire with the loops on the ends. That way they are easier to manage, they're all the same length and you can use the power drill, pliers or a rebar wire tool.

Sent from my iPhone using My Fingers.
Soulcoffr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2012, 09:46 PM   #9711
maliclipse
Found some matches.

Default XL UDS 98% Complete

I finally had some time to work on my new UDS...

With the help of this thread I started off by ordering a brand new unlined 85 gallon drum from grainger.

Then a Tel-Tru 5" thermo...

Then some pizza pans..

Then to the hardware store for some casters, stainless bolts/nuts/washers, a unibit, etc.

Here's the progress:

All i need to do is to poke some holes in the diffuser pan, add some handles and season... very excited!
maliclipse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2012, 10:15 PM   #9712
Shadowdog500
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maliclipse View Post
I finally had some time to work on my new UDS...

With the help of this thread I started off by ordering a brand new unlined 85 gallon drum from grainger.

Then a Tel-Tru 5" thermo...

Then some pizza pans..

Then to the hardware store for some casters, stainless bolts/nuts/washers, a unibit, etc.

Here's the progress:

All i need to do is to poke some holes in the diffuser pan, add some handles and season... very excited!
I love the NEW hasmat drum! I want one! How much was that drum?

You may have trouble getting people to eat the food that comes out of a drum with hasmat labels all over it. You know it was new, but they don't. I use a drum type smoker and can't count the times I had people ask what was in the drum before I got it.

Chris

Shadowdog500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2012, 10:59 PM   #9713
maliclipse
Found some matches.

I plan on taking the sticker off. But I'm going to do is get a nuclear stencil and paint it on instead the nice thing is we live next to a nuclear powerplant out here so I'll tell the people that I got a great deal on it from the plant.

We'll see might be fun messing with the guests. ;)
maliclipse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2012, 07:35 AM   #9714
willbird
Full Fledged Farker

I'm liking that UDS :-)......A few blue LED's inside the drum would be really cool when you tell them you "got it from the plant" :-).

Old 07-08-2012, 10:27 AM   #9715
W00dButcher
Got Wood.

How much fuel like K blue does everyone typically use? I suspect it would be based on the estimated cook time, right? So my fire basket needs to be sized to fit 10 - 15 lbs of brickettes?
W00dButcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2012, 10:38 AM   #9716
willbird
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by W00dButcher View Post
How much fuel like K blue does everyone typically use? I suspect it would be based on the estimated cook time, right? So my fire basket needs to be sized to fit 10 - 15 lbs of brickettes?
I just pulled the leftovers from the test burn on my drum, I had maybe 5lbs of RO briq. in there, and a chimney full of RO lump to start it off, maybe 25% of that burned and at the 8 hour mark (with nobody there to fiddle with the temp) it was still at 8 hours, and maybe 25% of the total fuel load burned.

Last edited by willbird; 07-08-2012 at 11:28 AM..

Old 07-09-2012, 07:45 AM   #9717
Paul Worth
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17mbpro View Post
The valve stems are a good idea. Do you need need to pliers or could I use some snub nosed pliers (which I have.)
You can install hog rings with regular pliers but it takes a lot more patience and still usually doesn't work as well as the hog ring pliers.
Paul Worth is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2012, 11:10 AM   #9718
willbird
Full Fledged Farker

About temperatures. Which is a more "honest" pit temp, a thermometer placed just UNDER the grill with no meat over it, or one placed right over the meat shielded from radiant heat from the charcoal ? With the typical UDS the former would be under the lower grate, the latter would be under the upper grate ?

Bill

Old 07-09-2012, 11:17 AM   #9719
GreenDrake
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
About temperatures. Which is a more "honest" pit temp, a thermometer placed just UNDER the grill with no meat over it, or one placed right over the meat shielded from radiant heat from the charcoal ? With the typical UDS the former would be under the lower grate, the latter would be under the upper grate ?

Bill
You know, on mine I put a probe immediately under the lower and the upper grates and noted about a 20 degree difference on the average, so far. I also have a circular cutout from the lid that rests directly on the basket to be used as the heat deflector. Mine likes to cruise right about 230 at the top grate. I don't have the specs on how much lower the lower grate is or how high it is from the basket, I will try to check it out later.
GreenDrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2012, 11:23 AM   #9720
willbird
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDrake View Post
You know, on mine I put a probe immediately under the lower and the upper grates and noted about a 20 degree difference on the average, so far. I also have a circular cutout from the lid that rests directly on the basket to be used as the heat deflector. Mine likes to cruise right about 230 at the top grate. I don't have the specs on how much lower the lower grate is or how high it is from the basket, I will try to check it out later.
I did not quantify the difference, but there was one for sure, the upper thermo placement made hitting temps many people talk about fairly easy, the lower placement seemed to give a higher temp, and if there was meat right OVER the thermo, it read a LOT lower due to drippings probably ?

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker