Oxtails

fil

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
My step daughter brought some oxtails over and asked if I would cook them. I said I would give it a shot (I never have but what the heck) I looked at the pkgs and the use/freeze by date is the 15th. They are sealed in packs like polish sausage comes in. Cryovaced sorta. I'm just guessing they are like other types of beef and wouldn't worry too much but having never messed with them I thought I would ask the Bretheren for advice.

I will do the smell test. Yes I said I was going to smell a cow tail :wacko: If they pass the test....

I was thinking of seasoning them with salt and pepper and then brazing them in beef broth for 2-3 hrs then adding potatoes carrots and some shrooms and serving over rice.

Am I on the right track with this?
Any other ideas/advice?

fil

they will have an odor no matter what. You got the idea on how to cookem though.

• Thanks
Reactions: fil
These will work:

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=110729&catid=1

OR

Beef, Oxtails
INGREDIENTS:
3 Lbs Oxtails, Wash Dry, Season, Flour Dust
2-3 Strips Bacon, Brown Slightly
3-4 Onions, Chopped
3-4 Tbs Parsley
3-4 Carrots, Chopped
2 Lemon Peels
1-2 Bay Leaves
Salt/Pepper to taste
2-3 Stalks Celery, Diced
3-4 Potatoes, Diced
Directions:
1. In a dutch oven saute the ox tails in a little oil, with bacon, add onions, parsley, carrots, bayleaf, lemon peels salt/pepper.
2. Cover with water- bring to a boil, simmer 3 1/2 -4 hours covered. 20 minutes before done add celery and potatoes. Best if cooked day before and fat removed.
3. BGE 350°F, direct or indirect with some smoking wood, top off
Recipe Type: Beef, Dutch Oven, Meat
Source
Source: Richard Howe, 1997/05/25
Web Page: http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1149461&catid=1

• Thanks
I have done them braised, smoked then braised and browned then braised, it all works great. They develop an incredible gravy.

• Thanks
They did have a unique odor straight out of the pkg. The house smells fantastic while they are cooking. The wife walked in and said "Something sure smells good" I told her its the oxtails your daughter brought over. All I got in response was a very quiet "oh". Man I wish I had the camera out for the look on her face. :shock:

fil

Man ,what a treat, they make a fine soup as well:-D

• Thanks
Hey Fil... Here's how I've done them in the past. They take a while to "tender up"...

6c79ee92.jpg

Cheers

• Thanks
Back