MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:42 AM   #1
jgarcia
On the road to being a farker

Default Pernil (pork shoulder) on the PBC

Pernil is traditional Puertorican way of making pork shoulder, and I made this Sat night. Usually I do this in the oven but I decided to try outside. I scored the top. I used minced garlic, black pepper, sazon, oregano, adobo, a little salt, and some vinegar. Mixed it all together to make a paste and slathered it on the shoulder and placed in fridge overnight. Usually I use whole garlic cloves and stick them in slits in the pork, but all I had was the minced garlic.
I hung it in the PBC fat side down, with the grate in just in case it fell. There was about 1/2" clearance between the meat and grate. It started to rain so I pulled it off to finish in the oven. Pictures are before going in oven. With the scored skin it was nice and crisp and was already cut into bite size pieces. They seperated nicely from the fat and I was able to have a snack before placing in the oven. That crunchy skin is awesome.
The bone pulled out nicely and the pork turned out great with the added smoke flavor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012_Feb_12 006.jpg (73.0 KB, 262 views)
File Type: jpg 2012_Feb_12 007.jpg (76.8 KB, 262 views)
File Type: jpg 2012_Feb_12 008.jpg (113.8 KB, 261 views)
File Type: jpg 2012_Feb_12 009.jpg (86.6 KB, 261 views)
File Type: jpg 2012_Feb_12 010.jpg (97.2 KB, 262 views)

Thanks from: --->

Old 02-13-2013, 09:45 AM   #2
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

That looks great!

Old 02-13-2013, 10:20 AM   #3
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Awesome!! Looks almost as good as the one I did Saturday afternoon!!

I lucked out by beating the rain though. Plus we had to eat before 6 so we could sit and watch the hockey game. Where did you get that shoulder from? I tried the Tyson brand cryovac ones from wally world on Saturday and it was pretty good and nice sized.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:21 AM   #4
MisterChrister
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Wow that's some good looking grub right there, I'll have to try that! Is there a traditional way and or any sides to serve it with that you'd recommend? Thanks for posting this!

Old 02-13-2013, 10:37 AM   #5
Bonewagon
Babbling Farker

Looks delicious!

Big Steel Keg, WSM, OTG, PBC, Kamado Joe Jr., Carson Rodizio, and a Super Fast [I]and[/I] Accurate [COLOR="Blue"]Blue[/COLOR] Splash-Proof Thermapen
Bonewagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2013, 10:41 AM   #6
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

that looks fantastic!
Freddy j is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2013, 11:01 AM   #7
fantomlord
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterChrister View Post
Wow that's some good looking grub right there, I'll have to try that! Is there a traditional way and or any sides to serve it with that you'd recommend? Thanks for posting this!
a good go-to side for anything Latin American is plantains:

take some ripe plantains (no green left, all yellow with some brown spots, and starting to soften a bit), cut in half, cut off the ends, grill indirect until they start to ooze

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-13-2013, 11:17 AM   #8
jgarcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantomlord View Post
a good go-to side for anything Latin American is plantains:

take some ripe plantains (no green left, all yellow with some brown spots, and starting to soften a bit), cut in half, cut off the ends, grill indirect until they start to ooze

With the green ones you can make tostones (fried plantains). You slice the plantain at an angle and fry those for a bit, then you take them out and flatten them, and fry some more until a little crisp. Then you make a paste with garlic, oil and salt and mix it with the fried plantains. If you like garlic you'll like this.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:18 AM   #9
Phubar
somebody shut me the fark up.

Looks good!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2013, 11:21 AM   #10
jgarcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbassman5 View Post
Awesome!! Looks almost as good as the one I did Saturday afternoon!!

I lucked out by beating the rain though. Plus we had to eat before 6 so we could sit and watch the hockey game. Where did you get that shoulder from? I tried the Tyson brand cryovac ones from wally world on Saturday and it was pretty good and nice sized.
I usually get the shoulder at Wal-Mart, but this one I got at Schnucks the week before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterChrister View Post
Typically around the holidays you would have pernil with Arroz con gandules (rice with pigeon peas) and a slice of avocado. You could also just have white rice and beans. I do not know how to describe the beans, but every time I make it people love it. Maybe I will have to try and measure everything and try to do a post one of these weekends.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:32 AM   #11
charrederhead
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

Mahvelous!

Old 02-13-2013, 12:14 PM   #12
TIMMAY
is One Chatty Farker

That looks great!!
TIMMAY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2013, 12:22 PM   #13
fantomlord
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgarcia View Post
I usually get the shoulder at Wal-Mart, but this one I got at Schnucks the week before.

Typically around the holidays you would have pernil with Arroz con gandules (rice with pigeon peas) and a slice of avocado. You could also just have white rice and beans. I do not know how to describe the beans, but every time I make it people love it. Maybe I will have to try and measure everything and try to do a post one of these weekends.
that's also a fantastic side dish. my FIL makes that...it's one of the things everybody looks forward to at Easter

Old 02-13-2013, 12:28 PM   #14
BobM
Babbling Farker

Yummy, great job!
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2013, 12:48 PM   #15
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Wow, that is a great looking cook

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote