7 Years Dead Hickory Tree...

Q-Dat

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
In the woods on my Dad's property is a big Hickory tree that got snapped at the trunk during Hurricane Katrina. The main body of the tree has been held off the ground so it is not rotten, but I have never heard of anyone using wood this old.

OK so wood experts: Assuming that I can even cut this wood (I'm guessing it must be incredibly hard by now) would it be worth using?

I'm sure she'll burn just fine. For stuff that old, I just use it to preheat my pit and save the good stuff for when the meat's on.

If it's been off the ground I'd use it. It'll pretty dry so will burn quickly.

I use oak that has been cut and stacked for 5 years and it burns fine. I use it for my comp wood. It is in the hill country so it's not a very moist climate. As long as it hasn't been on the ground and doesn't have any spongy spots in it you should be good to go.

You'll know when you cut into it. I cut and burn hickory all the time, if it is soft an light in weight it's not much good. Bonfire wood.

As long as it's not punky, it'll be good. Hickory usually gets borers pretty quickly, but that won't hurt it at all for smoking wood. I dug up some pieces of apple a while back that were about 15 years cut but kept dry, and they worked great.

Back