MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:03 PM   #31
stlgreg
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillinFool View Post
Maybe Buffet really likes BBQ?
I really thought buffet was just a joke started here
KCBS Certified Judge #21812
FEC100
1 UDS Smoker
1 Char Griller w/o side fire box
Hog's Wart School BBQ Team
http://www.bbqsaucereport.com (43 sauces and counting!)
stlgreg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2011, 01:55 PM   #32
Cokyjara
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I wonder what the future of this event would be and how the teams would of felt if the event had only advertised the $18,400 payout? Still good money. I wonder if all the teams would of still came for $18,400????? I would guess this thing could of been a real positive instead of a negative if more realistic numbers would of been advertised for payout. I would expect a little change in KCBS rules and procedures to insure funds are really available. Sounds like this guy could of just faked having the money longer since many contests take weeks to finally mail checks.

It sounds like letting this info go until after turn-ins would of been better in the long run. The meeting and distraction messed up some time lines, thus affecting quality of meat. KCBS wanted to not sit on the info so it didn't look like they had concealed anything after the fact. Bad situation for all involved.
Cokyjara is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2011, 04:06 PM   #33
stlgreg
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokyjara View Post
I wonder what the future of this event would be and how the teams would of felt if the event had only advertised the $18,400 payout? Still good money. I wonder if all the teams would of still came for $18,400????? I would guess this thing could of been a real positive instead of a negative if more realistic numbers would of been advertised for payout. I would expect a little change in KCBS rules and procedures to insure funds are really available. Sounds like this guy could of just faked having the money longer since many contests take weeks to finally mail checks.

It sounds like letting this info go until after turn-ins would of been better in the long run. The meeting and distraction messed up some time lines, thus affecting quality of meat. KCBS wanted to not sit on the info so it didn't look like they had concealed anything after the fact. Bad situation for all involved.
My understanding is the KCBS BOD said the meeting had to take place to give any team a chance to opt out (which one team did take) - We can sit here and talk about someone else shoulda coulda woulda but it doesnt matter.
FEC100
1 UDS Smoker

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-10-2011, 04:16 PM   #34
nthole
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlgreg View Post
My understanding is the KCBS BOD said the meeting had to take place to give any team a chance to opt out (which one team did take) - We can sit here and talk about someone else shoulda coulda woulda but it doesnt matter.
Not that it probably matters, but the team that dropped didn't do so because of what was happening. They did so because they were planning to cook hot and fast and something went wrong with their smoker and it burned up all their fuel in the middle of the night. They never even had ribs or chicken on. They were actually packed up before the meeting happened, so they just lucked out that they were able to get their $$$ back.
Pork Pistols BBQ
MOFO Illuminati

MOINK...It's what's for linner.
nthole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2011, 04:36 PM   #35
stlgreg
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nthole View Post
Not that it probably matters, but the team that dropped didn't do so because of what was happening. They did so because they were planning to cook hot and fast and something went wrong with their smoker and it burned up all their fuel in the middle of the night. They never even had ribs or chicken on. They were actually packed up before the meeting happened, so they just lucked out that they were able to get their $$$ back.
Thanks Neil, I figured it had to be something like that but i didnt know the facts, I just knew one team took them up on the offer to leave.

Quite lucky for them.
FEC100
1 UDS Smoker

Old 10-10-2011, 08:00 PM   #36
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunkpro View Post
Buffet is $800,000
I was just guessing at the 200k. 800k is believable. I know Sammy Hagar is $150k in St. Louis. Kurt did actually suggest Buffett to me for 2012 at the AR.....
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2011, 09:41 PM   #37
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Do you realize the security needed just for the teams with tens of thousands of buffet fans running around? I mean imagine the munchies those parrotheads are going to have! Talk about stealing briskets!

Where's the g'damn salt?

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-10-2011, 10:42 PM   #38
Just Pulin' Pork
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrink01 View Post
I was just guessing at the 200k. 800k is believable. I know Sammy Hagar is $150k in St. Louis. Kurt did actually suggest Buffett to me for 2012 at the AR.....
I heard the same thing at Herman! Having seen Buffett 9 times in concert I can honestly say that I have never seen him play at a BBQ contest! I have seen him at the MGM Grand, Sandstone, and 7 times at Tinley park in Chicago!
Just Pulin' Pork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2011, 08:13 AM   #39
stlgreg
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
Do you realize the security needed just for the teams with tens of thousands of buffet fans running around? I mean imagine the munchies those parrotheads are going to have! Talk about stealing briskets!

Where's the g'damn salt?
I saw him this year here in STL. It was sold out. My lawn seats were like 35 each. I think the place holds 18000 people. Thats 630,000 without figuring in the expensive seats.
FEC100
1 UDS Smoker

Old 10-11-2011, 08:33 AM   #40
sprinter

Yeah Greg, Neil is right about the guy who opted out. His space was directly behind us and sometime during the night he ran out of wood. He was trying to get the cooker hot with charcoal but it was not working. We talked a bit in the morning and he was really upset with himself. He and his son were there cooking together so he did get some quality family time but he was upset about the cooking. My guess is that if he HAD gotten the product cooked he would have turned it in, but by luck he is getting his money back. I think he is the only one that actually saw the silver lining in the happenings of the weekend. He never asked anyone for anything to help out. I told him that if he had gone to just about anyone around him they would have helped out in any way they could. Its a shame he didnt ask. Nice guy, just wasnt his weekend. I think he was from Iowa also, or the truck plates were from Iowa anyway.

Troy
sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2011, 07:59 AM   #41
trueque
Full Fledged Farker

26 days and counting....

Backwoods Party
trueque is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2011, 08:43 AM   #42
FullMoonBBQ

Micheal, We are waiting at our mailbox! Can't hardly wait
FullMoonBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2011, 08:47 AM   #43
nthole
Babbling Farker

Legitimate question. If you placed and didn't get paid, is that considered a tax deductible donation since this was a 501c org? Essentially you gave them the money back by never getting it. I would assume the contest cost isn't because, even though you didn't receive the 'something of value' promised, you did actually have the opportunity to since some places were paid. Where's the accountants in the house?
Pork Pistols BBQ
MOFO Illuminati

Old 10-12-2011, 09:44 AM   #44
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nthole View Post
Legitimate question. If you placed and didn't get paid, is that considered a tax deductible donation since this was a 501c org? Essentially you gave them the money back by never getting it. I would assume the contest cost isn't because, even though you didn't receive the 'something of value' promised, you did actually have the opportunity to since some places were paid. Where's the accountants in the house?
I'm not an accountant but it makes perfectly good sense. However, if audited, documenting it might be problematic.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2011, 11:16 AM   #45
nthole
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC View Post
I'm not an accountant but it makes perfectly good sense. However, if audited, documenting it might be problematic.
Save the YouTube video, download a copy of the website with the advertised payouts and save the score sheet that shows where you placed, indicating how much you 'donated'?
Pork Pistols BBQ
MOFO Illuminati

Tags
barbecue, Barbeque, bbq, contest, St Louis