MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:01 PM   #106
PalmettoSmoke
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MoreFord View Post
Even with a damper it's still better to cover the stack with a can or bucket.
Can you explain why?

[B]Modified[/B] Custom Pits Model A1 Offset Trailer, 18.5" WSM, 22.5" Weber Kettle, UDS Build in Progress
PalmettoSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2013, 10:14 PM   #107
boiler93
Full Fledged Farker

I'm going to have two holes drilled for probe access next week when I have new exhaust added. Drawing upon everyone's experience, is there a preferred location?
boiler93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2013, 10:15 PM   #108
boiler93
Full Fledged Farker

Looks good Palmetto!!

Old 04-12-2013, 11:03 PM   #109
PalmettoSmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiler93 View Post
I'm going to have two holes drilled for probe access next week when I have new exhaust added. Drawing upon everyone's experience, is there a preferred location?
That sounds like a good idea. I'd go right under the door.

[B]Modified[/B] Custom Pits Model A1 Offset Trailer, 18.5" WSM, 22.5" Weber Kettle, UDS Build in Progress

Old 04-12-2013, 11:49 PM   #110
jwmiser85
Found some matches.

Glad to see the issues being worked out. I ordered a Horizon pit..hope it's good to go and I dont have to go through this.
jwmiser85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2013, 01:30 AM   #111
mikeleonard81
Full Fledged Farker

I just ordered door seal and plan on droping the grate in the fire box to 3". I'm looking into getting a bbq guru for the back side of the fire box instead of installing another damper. Does anyone have experience with a guru? And do you think this will help with the air flow problem? Any and all advice is welcome :) Thanks!!
mikeleonard81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2013, 09:38 AM   #112
PalmettoSmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmiser85 View Post
Glad to see the issues being worked out. I ordered a Horizon pit..hope it's good to go and I dont have to go through this.
I've heard good things about Horizon pits. Hope you enjoy it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeleonard81 View Post
I just ordered door seal and plan on droping the grate in the fire box to 3". I'm looking into getting a bbq guru for the back side of the fire box instead of installing another damper. Does anyone have experience with a guru? And do you think this will help with the air flow problem? Any and all advice is welcome :) Thanks!!
I'm adding some seal to my door today. Regardless of the Guru or not, I think you're going to have to get a larger exhaust.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:40 PM   #113
1MoreFord
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoSmoke View Post
That sounds like a good idea. I'd go right under the door.
Unless your damper actually covers the stack like a cap with sides coming down over the stack (or you cover the entire cooker with a water proof cover) you will still get some water down the stack.

Falcon MK V gaseous grill w/Grill Grates, OK Joe Longhorn w/ vertical - now gone, Char Griller Akorn, Camp Chef PG24SG, Weber 22" OTG w/SNS components
1MoreFord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2013, 08:45 PM   #114
boiler93
Full Fledged Farker

Added a 6" exhaust today and couldn't wait to get it home and fire her up. Works like a charm! no problem getting up past 300 and all of a sudden I don't have the heat and smoke bellowing from the door. THANKS FOR THE HELP!

NEXT QUESTION: Instead of throwing away the 3" stack I added it to my warming box. As of right now the warming box receives indirect heat from being on top of the fire box. If I want to turn the warming box into a vertical smoker for smaller cooks what ideas do you guys have have for an opening between the two?

Old 04-17-2013, 09:44 PM   #115
J&B'sBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Looks great guys!! I'm excited to get my pit up to them to have them fix it now.

@boiler93; I was thinking that the larger exhaust would help fix all the smoke leaking because now the smoke has a logical place to go, and I am glad to hear that it is working as it should.

I'll make sure to post pics as well when we get ours fixed up.
[URL="http://www.southernqsmokers.com"]Southern Q Limo Jr. & 125 Water Cooker[/URL]
Proudly Supported By:
[URL="http://www.southernqsmokers.com"]Southern Q Smokers & Trailers[/URL]
[URL="http://www.swampboys.com/wordpress/"]Swamp Boys BBQ Sauces and Rubs[/URL]
[URL="https://carolinacookwood.com"]Carolina Cookwood[/URL][/FONT][/SIZE]
J&B'sBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2013, 12:07 AM   #116
PalmettoSmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiler93 View Post

Added a 6" exhaust today and couldn't wait to get it home and fire her up. Works like a charm! no problem getting up past 300 and all of a sudden I don't have the heat and smoke bellowing from the door. THANKS FOR THE HELP!

NEXT QUESTION: Instead of throwing away the 3" stack I added it to my warming box. As of right now the warming box receives indirect heat from being on top of the fire box. If I want to turn the warming box into a vertical smoker for smaller cooks what ideas do you guys have have for an opening between the two?
Glad it's working! I plan to cook this weekend when I get home from travel.