THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

que_dawg

Knows what a fatty is.
I had to season an SS-1 for the 2013 Smoker Throwdown, so I figured I would throw a brisket flat on there. No injection, just a good smattering of Plow Boys Bovine Bold. The cook went very smooth. I ran it along at 250* for about 3 hours and then I bumped it up to 300 after I wrapped it. I didn't really have to bump the temp up, I just wanted to play with my CyberQ WiFi and bump it up from my couch, because I could.

I think the brisket turned out great, it had a great smoke ring from the green peach wood that I used and had a good pull. It also turned out nice and juicy considering I didn't inject. I got pretty lucky with this Choice flat that I picked up from SAM's.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• 2013-01-05 13.05.27.jpg
    2013-01-05 13.05.27.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 510
  • 2013-01-05 20.12.35.jpg
    2013-01-05 20.12.35.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 508
  • 2013-01-05 08.57.48.jpg
    2013-01-05 08.57.48.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 507
I see your water pan in there. Did you use water or dry?

I used it dry, I really only use that pan to catch the grease. I have never actually filled the water pan with water, I haven't felt like I needed it.

That looks pretty dang good to me. Mind if I ask what kind of burn times you can get out of that cooker at 225-250?

If I cook between 225* and 250* I have never had to refuel. One weekend soon I will fill the chute to the top and see just how long the cooker will burn on 1 chute of charcoal. That would be an interesting test. I don't know that I have seen anyone actually test the burn time on one of these.

Last edited:
I filled my water pan with sand and wrap it with foil. It catches the juices and makes cleanup easy. The sand in the pan service as a diffuser and a heat sink keeping temps steady. B

That looks pretty dang good to me. Mind if I ask what kind of burn times you can get out of that cooker at 225-250?

I started my SS-One up at 6:00pm on Saturday night, loaded it up with 2 butts and 2 chuckies at 9:00, and it finally ran out of fuel and dropped temp at 8:00 on Sunday morning. And that was running at 250* on the Guru.

So I got 14 hours out of 1 chute of Royal oak (about 10lb) in 26* temps!

I started my SS-One up at 6:00pm on Saturday night, loaded it up with 2 butts and 2 chuckies at 9:00, and it finally ran out of fuel and dropped temp at 8:00 on Sunday morning. And that was running at 250* on the Guru.

Thanks for the input. There's two things I want in life. A Toyota Tacoma crew cab pick-up and a gravity feed smoker. Here's to hoping that one of those come true. :biggrin1:

I would think that you could expect to get longer burn times out of a chute of briquettes. Man, I wish I knew someone that had two SS-1s that could do a side by side test, one with regular briquettes and on with hardwood lump.... :biggrin1:

I would think that you could expect to get longer burn times out of a chute of briquettes. Man, I wish I knew someone that had two SS-1s that could do a side by side test, one with regular briquettes and on with hardwood lump.... :biggrin1:

Looks like the R&D department has a lot of testing to do....hahaha

I started the SS-1 yesterday at 5PM with a full chute (roughly 20 lbs.) and cooked all night long at 225*. I bumped it up at 2:30PM today to 250* to finish off a butt that was running long. As of right now I am still going strong at 250* with 1/4 of a chute left to burn. The temp here last night got down to 32*.

I am running Kingsford Blue, just because that's what I had. I would expect that lump would not burn nearly as long. I will test that soon.

Back