Another pricing question ! Sides

creeper2

Found some matches.
Reaction score
First off my apologies if I'm being redundant, and thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. I have potential customers intetested in buying sides , mac n cheese by the tray and whole meat loafs . Is there a rule of thumb as far as pricing ? (Cost multiplied by X ) or something similar I should follow ?

As with any product, YOU have to decide what YOU want as a profit margin and if the customer wants to pay that, then you're golden.
If you want a 75% gross profit on the food (NOT NET profit) then multiply your food COST by four and you'll have a 25% COS.
Hypothetically, let's say a pan of Mac&Cheese cost you $10 to prepare. Sell it for $40 ($10/$40=25%). You'll get a $30 GROSS profit. BUT, remember... GROSS profit has to pay all other expenses; YOU have to decide if your labor, time, materials (ie pans, lids etc), insurance, taxes, fuel, and on and on is worth $30 profit per pan of Mac&Cheese. If that works for you, great.

In my more controlled world of managing a $2,000,000 food and beverage operation at a private country club, when someone asks me "how much" for a menu, I have the chef pre-cost the menu and I divide the cost estimate by 40% and that's what I quote the client (ie Hors d'oeuvres, soup/salad, protein, starch, vegetable, breads, butter, dessert estimated to COST us $15.00 pp.... I divide $15.00 by 40% = $37.50 pp for the menu and I have a 40% COS). Unlike you, I have other revenue streams to cover labor, time, supplies, insurance, lights, taxes, fuel, etc. and unlike you, I'm a "Not-For-Profit" operation.... 40% COS is way high for a profit seeking business IMHO.

Good luck. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
As with any product, YOU have to decide what YOU want as a profit margin and if the customer wants to pay that, then you're golden.
If you want a 75% gross profit on the food (NOT NET profit) then multiply your food COST by four and you'll have a 25% COS.
Hypothetically, let's say a pan of Mac&Cheese cost you $10 to prepare. Sell it for $40 ($10/$40=25%). You'll get a $30 GROSS profit. BUT, remember... GROSS profit has to pay all other expenses; YOU have to decide if your labor, time, materials (ie pans, lids etc), insurance, taxes, fuel, and on and on is worth $30 profit per pan of Mac&Cheese. If that works for you, great.

In my more controlled world of managing a $2,000,000 food and beverage operation at a private country club, when someone asks me "how much" for a menu, I have the chef pre-cost the menu and I divide the cost estimate by 40% and that's what I quote the client (ie Hors d'oeuvres, soup/salad, protein, starch, vegetable, breads, butter, dessert estimated to COST us $15.00 pp.... I divide $15.00 by 40% = $37.50 pp for the menu and I have a 40% COS). Unlike you, I have other revenue streams to cover labor, time, supplies, insurance, lights, taxes, fuel, etc. and unlike you, I'm a "Not-For-Profit" operation.... 40% COS is way high for a profit seeking business IMHO.

Good luck. Hope this helps.
Thank you for the reply

I'm new to catering.. what is COS?

Great question. It's the Cost of Sales. The cost of the raw materials you just sold, before any allocation of any fixed costs (e.g. price of your smoker, insurance...) or shared variable costs (e.g. wood on smoker, labor for cleaning)

Back